• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Prayers for Alison

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Congrats on a lofty goal attained. That is an impressive accomplishment, that will have life long consequences. None of them bad. She has really opened a lot of doors to the world right there. You should be very proud parents.

Today has been a good day but this news just put the icing on the cake. Very happy for Allison and for all close to her.

Praying for a full recovery and that the cancer has disappeared forever. You might want to do a bit of research on Chaga tea.

Congratulations to all your family for weathering that storm of illness and worries that go along with anything serious affecting health, especially in children.

Surely there have been many prayers answered in great ways, given the events so important to young people that she has been able to do. And that they are continuing with this new duty serving FFA is another blessing.

FFA and 4H are such valuable and effective training grounds for young people. It seems like quite a boost in their knowledge of so many areas and will serve them well as they go into further education, or even join the work force after high school. And not just for those going into agriculture. Obviously there are many 'life lessons' learned a little easier with adult guidance and good peer pressure along the way, so while she is having fun she is learning valuable life skills of working with, even guiding, and coping with some of the frustrations of working with other people.

Being in my 75th year for a few more months, I realize more than ever how much we need young people with good work ethic and 'people' skills to carry on our farms/ranches/businesses and community life into the future. Looking at the world as it is, right down to our local communities, I'm sorry for too much of what we are leaving them, yet our rural communities (and even the most populous counties in SD are considered 'beyond rural' by national entities) have much that is good, and even great when it seems the rest of the world is careening toward disaster.

So, carry on, Miss Allison, and enjoy the journey of life as you rebuild your health and enjoy the good times to the fullest!

mrj

We have been blessed! :)
By Colleen Simon — 1 hour ago

Warm summer greetings to you all!! It's been much too long since I've posted an update! Please forgive me while keeping in mind that no updates means things are going great!! :) I added several pictures of recent, monumental, wondrous, miraculous events for you to enjoy!!

Alison has graduated high school - an AMAZING FEAT after missing school from September to mid-March!! We are so grateful to the Gettysburg School Staff for all they've done to assist Alison - this past year AND during her 8th grade year! I didn't cry at graduation, I think because we were all so happy just to be there to witness her achievement! But, I do tear up whenever I stop to ponder all the things Alison has accomplished! Isn't it all so crazy wonderful?! :D Praise the Lord!!! <3

Alison has been enjoying FFA training and is so excited for the camps and travel she is privileged to do this summer! She continues to be humbled by the office of State President and takes the "wearing of the jacket" seriously. I'm thrilled to see her enjoying a dream come true and I look forward to watching her soar!! :) She heads to South Dakota State University in the fall to major in Agriculture Communications!

Medically, Alison is doing great! During the first full week of June, she had her first 3-month post-chemotherapy checkups. They didn't see ANY sign of cancer in the chest x-ray or abdominal ultrasound!! Woohoo!! More praise for the Lord!! Alison has been doing well, so I didn't think there would be any cancer, but it sure is reassuring to know for certain!! Dr. Wagner said she will have checkups every 3 months for at least the first year. At one year, March 2017, they will do a CT scan to make absolutely sure they haven't missed a thing. So, the next round of checkups with oncology, nephrology, and infectious disease will be in September. I'm sure she will be seeing Transplant at some point, too, as they are currently monitoring her Tac (anti-rejection) level with blood draws every 2 weeks. I'm not an official expert, but it seems like the Tac level is getting closer to finding it's "happy place"! Please keep praying for that to happen! Dr. Sanders says Alison's kidney function has leveled off, but it may continue to improve a bit more over time. Dr. Chatterjee could see that Alison has seasonal allergies, but no sign of rhyzopus fungus, thank heavens! At the end of checkup week, Dr. Ryckman removed Alison's chemo port! It all continues to thoroughly amaze me... :)

I want to thank the amazing staff at Sanford Children's in Sioux Falls who take such magnificent care of Alison! They also hold her in such high esteem. They gave her a poster congratulating her on beating cancer - the oncology staff, front desk staff, child life, and 3rd floor nurses all signed it. What a sweet gesture! I witnessed something, though, that sums up the collective way I believe the Sanford staff feels about Alison. When Dr. Sanders, who has known Alison since August 2011, came into the exam room for her checkup, he was accompanied by a visiting doctor. He greeted us, sat down, turned and looked at Alison and introduced her to the other doctor, saying, "And THIS... is Alison!" It's blatantly obvious she's one of their favorite patients! Another humble moment for this mom who can't blame 'em a bit for loving her so much! <3

And, THANK YOU for your love, strength, thoughts, prayers, hugs, visits, gifts, and for being on this crazy ride with us! I may not post a journal update until September, but I plan to add photos now and then to show you what words cannot express! <3

God bless you all! Colleen

That is great news, just what all of us have been praying for.

Yes keep us posted on all of Alison's accomplishments cause I know there is no stopping her now. :D

This was in my emails today and I wanted to share..........

I'm gonna sleep good tonight! :)
Journal entry by Colleen Simon — 1 hour ago

One year post-chemotherapy check-up showed NED: No Evidence of Disease!!! Wow, Lord!! So thankful!!

This great news puts all the "sickness" of the national news in a different perspective. I sometimes hear it said that illness and other 'bad news' is a demonstration of evil.

It is so great to hear the news when illness is overcome and good health prevails. This very special young lady appears set to soar into her education and life experiences with FFA and all the great things at SDSU. Given her past experiences, she has the added benefit of truly understanding how precious those experiences are. Surely Angels are rejoicing to see her healthy and happily following this path.

mrj

Thanks for all the prayers for Alison. She has certainly had a great year. Cant believe a year has gone by already.

For those that are interested, the South Dakota FFA Convention will be broadcast online. The link for the schedule and link to go online to view the convention is: http://www.sdaged.org/state-convention.

Alison will open the session tonight at 7 and give her retiring address on Monday night.

Brian

Latest posts