• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Prayers for Soapweed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I write this thru tears. I never met Steve but yet thru his writing, photos, and piano video, I feel I have. All of you that met him and knew him are fortunate indeed. He seemed to define gentleman but yet be as rugged as any.

The pictures he painted in my mind's eye with words will be treasured forever. The old photos he posted spoke a thousand words. My deepest sympathies go to his family, friends, and all here touched by this reminder of how short life can be.

In memory of Soapweed
OIP.jpg

The measure of any human existence is the hole one leaves after they pass. There is a family in Nebraska missing a husband, father, grandfather and brother. There is a ranching community in the Sandhills missing a neighbor, mentor, friend and peer. And there is more folks than I could ever count who knew Steve here that are deeply touched at his passing. But the one thing we all have in common is that we had the wonderful opportunity to get to know that fine man! Ours was separated by distance and electrons over the internet, but we all felt like we were close friends. What a gift that is from Steve! To touch people, most like me, you never met!!!! I am a better man for knowing Soap. I am a better rancher and a better husband and father because of how he lived and loved and acted!!!! Folks, THAT is how you leave a legacy.

Last edited:
The measure of any human existence is the hole one leaves after they pass. There is a family in Nebraska missing a husband, father, grandfather and brother. There is a ranching community in the Sandhills missing a neighbor, mentor, friend and peer. And there is more folks than I could ever count who knew Steve here that are deeply touched at his passing. But the one thing we all have in common is that we had the wonderful opportunity to get to know that fine man! Ours was separated by distance and electrons over the internet, but we all felt like we were close friends. What a gift that is from Steve! To touch people, most like me, you never met!!!! I am a better man for knowing Soap. I am a better rancher and a better husband and father because of how is lived and loved and acted!!!! Folks, THAT is how you leave a legacy.
All true, H.

Been a while since I've been on Ranchers, sort of gave it up years ago when I hit a fork in the road... get married or stay single. I got married. Life has been good.

I'm saddened to hear Soapweed has passed on. Always enjoy following his and his family's activities. Praying for him and the those he leaves behind. May God's blessing shine upon all.

He will be missed but not forgotten. Only knew Steve via the internet but he did make an impact. Best wishes to the family.
Rest easy Steve.

He will be missed but not forgotten. Only knew Steve via the internet but he did make an impact. Best wishes to the family.
Rest easy Steve.
I don't think he ever met a stranger, in life or online. We were blessed to have met him a few times. The world was better with him in it. Sad days ahead.

Here is Steve Moreland's obituary.

I am so sad I never got to meet or converse with Mr. Soapweed. I am a late comer to Ranchers. I guess the Lord needed another cowboy in Heaven. My heart goes out to his family and his horse and dog as they will be lost without him...

Y
I am so sad I never got to meet or converse with Mr. Soapweed. I am a late comer to Ranchers. I guess the Lord needed another cowboy in Heaven. My heart goes out to his family and his horse and dog as they will be lost without him...
Made me laugh, Soapweed was well known for his distain of cowdogs.
Loved his horses though.

M old dog is about 12 now, and does a lot of ridin in the ranger. He will sniff out a calf when I need him. If we are moving cattle into the pen he knows when to bark to head one off, but usually stays under the truck or tractor. In his old age, he works only by appointment. If we go to the other farm down south and at the neighboirs place, he and the other dogs are like the best of friends..

M old dog is about 12 now, and does a lot of ridin in the ranger. He will sniff out a calf when I need him. If we are moving cattle into the pen he knows when to bark to head one off, but usually stays under the truck or tractor. In his old age, he works only by appointment. If we go to the other farm down south and at the neighboirs place, he and the other dogs are like the best of friends..
Sounds like he's earned 'retirement treatment.' Good for him and good for you to recognize his age.

Latest posts