• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

pre checking

Help Support Ranchers.net:

bgc

Reaction score
Ok so I just bought all the cows me neighbor had (153) and he is getting out of the cow business. I bought these cows VERY cheap and they are pretty good looking cows, just been mismanaged. They are in two defined breeding seasons, spring (June-August breeding) and fall (December-February breeding). I want to go through the cows and preg check to cull the old slower breeders. If I sort the wet cows off and preg anything else I will have gotten everything that has for sure had a calf this year and then anything else should either be pregnant or open. The more I think about this the more complicated I make it in my head. I am just asking for someone to read this and make sure I am thinking correct. After the initial culling of open cows, will just preg 60 days after the bull comes out and take care of anything left over.

bgc said:
Ok so I just bought all the cows me neighbor had (153) and he is getting out of the cow business. I bought these cows VERY cheap and they are pretty good looking cows, just been mismanaged. They are in two defined breeding seasons, spring (June-August breeding) and fall (December-February breeding). I want to go through the cows and preg check to cull the old slower breeders. If I sort the wet cows off and preg anything else I will have gotten everything that has for sure had a calf this year and then anything else should either be pregnant or open. The more I think about this the more complicated I make it in my head. I am just asking for someone to read this and make sure I am thinking correct. After the initial culling of open cows, will just preg 60 days after the bull comes out and take care of anything left over.

Yup, they'll either be pregnant or open.

Don't mind me------I'm the guy who, when filling out forms, always puts "you betcha!" on the little 'sex' square.

Sure, you're on the right track---I think you're still looking at them as a 'gob' rather than individuals. And I think if you bought them right, you're in for a nice ride.

Latest posts