• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Preg Checking

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Tested Morrison Meadow bunch yesterday.

41 heifers, 1 open, the rest in a 45 day calving period.

219 cows, most of these are 3rd calf or younger. 17 open, 6 outside of 50 day calving period. Have had better and worse, about average for where we are at.
Testing the older cows at home today.

Not bad, not bad at all.

However, I've learned from personal experience to not get too excited until it's finished. Too many times we've had great results on part of our cattle, or the first 2/3's of a bunch, only to be very disappointed when it was over!

Good luck on the last of them.

Right on gcreek, looks like you're still in the game and get the privilege of playing again next year. Hope the rest of your testing goes at least as good as the first.

Well, you guys were right about it not being over til it's over. :)

8% empty
4% outside 50 days
63.5% first 28 days
balance in last 22 days.

Either wolves scattering these cows this summer or bull problems we didn't see put a lot of our older herd at the later end or empty.
Some opens had a reason others not, guess that is how things go sometime.
Still have calves to sell yet once we either settle on a price at home or decide to go to a sale barn. Our vet told us today that for their age our calves were far better than the average he sees. Hard for me to take a compliment on something I don't see. I guess that's what makes a person keep trying to get better. :?

The vet did a favour today and put my old Monte dog down. Life was getting pretty hard for him. 18 years old getting blind, deaf, losing bowel control and pretty crippled up. I'm actually shedding a couple more tears typing this.
RIP Monte, you never quit this human once. This one is for you.
http://youtu.be/tkL9PoOABPE

words can never express the overwhelming greif one feels making those decisions but Baxter comes close. sorry for your loss Gcreek

better days ahead

I'm sorry you lost a friend today gcreek, but I'm glad you got 18 years of memories from him.

Thanks guys, I got him when he was two and he bit me the first time I touched him. I knew then he was my kind of dog. :lol:

His front teeth were all broken off by the time he was 8 and a bull ran over him at about 11 and broke both hind legs. He learned to walk on his front legs while we carried his back end by the tail twice a day until he healed up. He was another of those once in a lifetime dogs.

Debbie and I were talking about this when we had to put Jiggs down 6 years ago. Do dogs have a shorter life than we do because it gives us the opportunity to know and enjoy the company of more of them or because they don't have to put up with us so long? :?

Oh, gcreek, we are so sorry about Monte.
Good dogs just don't live long enough.
We know first hand how special your dogs are.
You will miss him, but hopefully your memories of
having him will help. Darn! It's tough to lose them......... :cry2:
It always helps me to know we they had a good life
with us......and I know Monte did with you. In the
end we can do what's best for them, hard as it is

Hugs to you and Debbie.

Sorry about losing your dog. We went through a whole row of that in the past year or so, losing all 3 of ours to old age and illness. It leaves an awfully big hole. Especially if they were a really good dog.

Wife says we're not getting another house dog but I don't know.

After being without a dog most of the year, we got a pup this summer and I had to promise myself every day for a while that I'd give her one more day to live . . . :mad: Seems to have been the right thing to do though because she's actually starting to resemble something that looks and acts more like a Collie/Heeler should now! Flowers and cats still catch heck though . . . :?

We put amigo down two years ago about this time of year.. Haven't replaced him. And we surely miss him in soooooo many ways...Right now the calves get out the gate while we feed them.. And he was the best gate man you could have!! Hugs to ya grcreek..... That's the best I can do.. Hopefully something will come your way to replace your beloved dog...

I'm so sorry to hear that gcreek, it's awful losing a good friend and co-worker. I buried two dogs in the past 13 months, and I miss them daily. I hope your sadness ends soon, enjoy his memory.

Latest posts