• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Present pile of pictures, March 27, 2008

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Youngsters.jpg

Youngsters
Sockermoms.jpg

Sock 'er moms
Gettingaloadofcake.jpg

Getting a load of cake
Thesystemworkslikeacharm.jpg

The system works like a charm.
PrideGrainmusthaveboughtausedtraile.jpg

Pride Grain must have purchased a used trailer.
KosmoKidfoolinaround.jpg

The Kosmo Kid foolin' around
NotsureifBradyisimpressed.jpg

Not sure if Brady is impressed
Atemporarysoftmattress.jpg

A temporary soft mattress. When the cows eat it, it will be gone. :wink:
Acuriousbuddy.jpg

A curious buddy
Feedinghayhighinthehills.jpg

Feeding hay high in the hills
Newbulls.jpg

New bulls
Sortingbullstobuyfromthetopofafines.jpg

Sorting bulls to buy from on top of old Goose
Purveyorsoffinebulls.jpg

Purveyors of fine bulls, and other premium livestock
Theyhavenopedigreesbutmycowswontcar.jpg

The bulls have no pedigrees but my cows don't care. They seem to be a pretty uniform bunch.
TheKosmoKidmypartnerincrime.jpg

The Kosmo Kid was also on hand to help sort bulls.
Checkingoutourheifercalvesatanother.jpg

Checking out our replacement heifers at another location. The red ones belong to another party, as well as some of the blacks.
Theyseemtobeinabouttherightconditio.jpg

They seem to be in about the right condition.
Euphoricbecauseitwasraining.jpg

Euphoric because it was raining. The euphoria was short-lived because the rain didn't last long.
Yellowstonedoesnthaveanyfeet.jpg

Yellowstone minus his feet

Great photos! Better instruct the Kid that doing handstands may cause all the jingle to fall out of his pockets. Once he marries that sweet young thing, removing the American dollars from his pockets will become her job, and wimminfolk generally don't need any help in that department! :wink:

Good story in pictures again Soapweed. Hey, my father-in-law said when they were in that country a big portion of the winters feed was from wild meadows. Is this still the case?

Good pics again Soapweed! Looks like the calves are enjoying life. I can see things are starting to green up in the sandhills, won't be long till the calves are lying on lush green grass instead of hay.

Thanks for sharing :wink:

I guess thats the first time I've seen any shots of your headquarters........looks to be a pretty efficient operation :wink:

Euphoric because it was raining. The euphoria was short-lived because the rain didn't last long

..........had same experience yesterday...............then it turned into 4" of snow :roll: ..........still snowin this morning.................gotta look spring :roll:

Thanks for the pic's of the cake delivery, Soapweed. How long will you keep feeding this spring?

Your calves are really growing good. It has been dry and windy here too, but I'm hopeful this weekend we'll get a little moisture. Lets hope we all get something soon!

gcreekrch said:
Hey, my father-in-law said when they were in that country a big portion of the winters feed was from wild meadows. Is this still the case?

Yes, this is still mostly the case in this part of the Sandhills. The only hay our cattle get is wild hay harvested from sub-irrigated native meadows, though some of it is purchased from a neighbor.

wdcook said:
Thanks for the pic's of the cake delivery, Soapweed. How long will you keep feeding this spring?

This might be our last load. I think my contract is about used up, and any more cake that is bought will cost considerably more. This load in the picture has magnesium added for the prevention of grass tetany. This 20% cake with the magnesium added, was delivered in for $191 per ton including freight. Glad I booked quite a bit ahead, as it is probably at least a hundred dollars per ton higher now.

Usually we feed cake and hay until about the middle of May, when the late Sandhills grass finally gets good enough to turn cattle out. My thought is, even if you graze as much as possible, when you really need to feed hay is during April and the first part of May. This allows the pastures to get a head start before the grazing pressure begins.

Your cake bin looks just like mine only with more experience. Mine is a Bar Six model made in protection Ks. I just moved it in this winter. My cake was 214, have one load to come in the end of next month at 229. Now I'm sure it will go lots higher. Rain has a similiar effect on me!

Thanks for sharing the pics. Cattle really look good. Hope you get the rain you need. This winter we were lucky and got enough snow to make a good first crop of hay even if the drought continues.

Latest posts