• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pretty quiet

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Haytrucker

Reaction score
I reckon this site is aptly named. Best of luck getting them all worked and to grass. Don't forget to grease the hay equipment. Would 11 days a week be enough?

They are getting there. Never had a better March, but April has bit. We should wean more than the storms left for many...

We didn't start until almost the end of April so had better weather then most.One hfr left from our 30 day breed, still have some cows left but the bulls were with them for about 60 days. I my shorten that up this year as well.

The market has sure took a hit the last couple weeks.

Been very aggressive pull forward - I was thinking/hoping the pulled forward cattle would remove weight from the supply. At this point, probably time to hide and watch - I'm getting more and more concerned. If heat doesn't rescue the industry, this fall - well I'm not gonna say it.

I wintered some steers that were to be sold in march. I leased some brushy ground and decided to summer them on grass only. Might be a mistake.

Been a tough spring calving in lots of areas. Heifer slaughter for the 2016 cal crop ran higher than expected. Drought in many areas (including here) is a major concern still. Many reports of 25 percent death loss on the 2018 calf crop. For obvious reasons some aren't going to talk about it.

redrobin said:
I wintered some steers that were to be sold in march. I leased some brushy ground and decided to summer them on grass only. Might be a mistake.
How does one get so lucky to acquire such land?

About 20 left to calve, have had better years, irrigation water on, first bunch branded, second bunch tomorrow. Damn bears and wolves everywhere.

Leaves are out 10 days early here. Went from winter to summer in 2 weeks here.

redrobin said:
Focus on opportunities rather than second-guessing what appear to be mistakes. For example, you're very fortunate to have the opportunity now to cheapen those cattle up. Pack your satchel, kiss homegirl goodbye, do six sales a week for a few weeks, and you might be able to back them up enough to get back into break-even territory.

gcreekrch said:
About 20 left to calve, have had better years, irrigation water on, first bunch branded, second bunch tomorrow. Damn bears and wolves everywhere.

Dave how did your heifers gain?

redrobin said:
gcreekrch said:

Dave how did your heifers gain?

Bought weight to shrunk weight after 220 mile haul, weighed off truck, no pencil shink. 200 lbs in 120 days.

Not bad for here.

I concur with Texan.

Sounds good. Do you use barley?
It'd take a thousand head to cheapen them up to a break even. Lol

If you and Texan are my partners we can make it work. I'd imagine there's 2500 acres laying around up there and with all the pump jacks in Texas he probably has an extra million he's not using. I'll line up some trucks.

Latest posts