• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pretty sure? They have the herd?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Am I reading this right? It tested positive (rapid) last Nov. and they don't know what herd it came from? They are just now looking for where it came from? I am amazed at the inept bungling in the USDA.

DNA testing to find herd where diseased animal came from

06/25/2005

Associated Press

The government is conducting D-N-A tests to find the herd where an animal with mad cow disease came from -- and, hopefully, the source of the infection.

Yesterday, the U.S. confirmed what may be its first homegrown case of mad cow disease. Officials haven't said where the cow turned up.

Pinpointing the cow's herd will help track the animal's feed and explain how it became infected. The only known way the disease spreads is through feeding infected cattle remains to other cattle, which the U.S. banned in 1997.

The Agriculture Department's chief veterinarian says "We're pretty confident that we have the herd, but we want to make sure."

The secretary of agriculture has stressed the animal posed no risk to humans as it never made it into the food supply.

How much does the herd of origin matter? Somewhat, I guess. But up here, none of the birth cohorts or herdmates were found to have B.S.E.

The main thing is that she was given a truly patriotic memorial service. Rumor has it that the theme song was . . .

". . . I WAS BORN IN THE U.S.A. . . "
:) :) :)

MLA - you old codger! You're just looking for an argument today aren't you? :wink: Birth cohorts mean everything! Usually people raise calves in groups and they eat the same feed. Your 1993 positive cow was traced back to England and the cohorts there were found to have BSE also.

Here's to the USDA! (raising and tipping my glass of cool refreshment ever so gently) AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Mike said:
MLA - you old codger! You're just looking for an argument today aren't you? :wink: Birth cohorts mean everything! Usually people raise calves in groups and they eat the same feed. Your 1993 positive cow was traced back to England and the cohorts there were found to have BSE also.

Only proves presence and not route of aquisition.

Here's to the USDA! (raising and tipping my glass of cool refreshment ever so gently) AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Since it was to the USDA, I can't tell if the exclamation was evidence of pain or pleasure . . . :???: [/b]

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Mike said:

Only proves presence and not route of aquisition.

Since it was to the USDA, I can't tell if the exclamation was evidence of pain or pleasure . . . :???: [/b]

It was pleasurably painful to toast some of the most inept bureaucrats ever to grace Washington D.C.

A-men Mike! Poor Johanns is upset because Phyllis Fong, an internal auditor and investigator did not clear the test with him. Now, he will be able to prove to all, that "Beef is too high" (Omaha World Herald) Johann has just found out that he is a packer puppet

Latest posts