• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Priceless.....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TimH

Reaction score
Coal, straw and diesel to thaw through 3 feet of frost....... $20.00
Assorted splicers, T's , clamps and waterline.....................$72.00
580 Case backhoe, 4 hrs @ $65.00/hr..............................$260.00
Rum and eggnog............................................................$58.00
Having the waterline out to my cows fixed.....................PRICELESS!!

:) :) :) :) :)

ranchwife said:
Ain't it the truth!!!! :roll:
Congrats on getting things fixed, Tim!!! :D

Thanks Ranchwife.

For those of you who may think that "water witching" doesn't work(read- is BullSh--).....we found the leak in a 400 foot line by "witching" it. We knew by isolating each line (through the valves), which line was leaking but could not tell ,without "witching",exactly where the leak was.(these lines are 8 to 10 feet down) Three generations of us "witched" it. Me, my 17 year old son and my Dad. I was within about 5 feet of the leak, my Dad was within 8 feet and my son was pretty much dead on top of it.
I wish that the term "divining" would catch on a little more. It sounds so much more PC than "witching". :lol:

Tim H: our neighbour showed us how to witch water years ago; it's something to do with your metabolism......works for some and not others. We can roughly locate water but have seen others that can forecast depth and amounts............definately witchcraft :lol:Works on buried water and power lines too :!: :shock:

Long ago I talked with a professional waterwitch and didn't know whether to believe him or not. Is there any scientific explanation for it?

nr said:
Long ago I talked with a professional waterwitch and didn't know whether to believe him or not. Is there any scientific explanation for it?

I think they use the same "Science" as the USDA for determining which cattle can be imported from a country that has had BSE.

When I first moved here an Old friend of my Dad's came over to witch for water.He showed me how it was done it is quite amazeing.We drove a sandpoiont it's 22' deep and has 13' of water in the pipe it will pump to beat the band.He taught me to use a willowfork so you could hold 1 fork in each hand with the center out in front of you.You could hold it steady and the end would pull down 2 to 3 inches.I use a piece of willow that's 1/2" to 5/8" of an inch in diameter.Nature will tell you alot if you just listen.

When I bought this place one of the things the neighbors told me was how hard it was to get a good well. One of the previous owners had 4 dry wells before he got water. And the house and 2 acres were not for sale ( with the well)

An older lady down the road offered to witch a well for me and it seemed that she would be quite hurt if we did not allow her. She brought a peach tree fork and told us where to drill and how deep to go. she was within 6" of the correct depth and so I feel there is something to it. I can't witch myself but I feel there are many other things I can't do as well.

When I have a break in water lines ( about 5 feet deep here) I will shut the water off for several hours and then run it again for a couple of hours - - -back and forth for about a day and then I will get a stream about the size of your thumb about 4" high. The leak will be stright down.

Letting the wet dirt fall into the opening caused by the leak and repeating will bring the water stright up in about 5 or 6 cycles. As deep as you are it might not work.

Glad you got it fixed - - - most of the problems we find here are either galvanized fittings rusting thru or "cheap black plastic " TSC used to sell 100# test pipe that is just to thin and a gravel the size of a pea will work a hole in it. We replace any lines we find like that with the 200# test pipe and eliminate that problem. We have also gone to either brass or plastic fittings.

TimH said:
ranchwife said:
Ain't it the truth!!!! :roll:
Congrats on getting things fixed, Tim!!! :D

Thanks Ranchwife.

For those of you who may think that "water witching" doesn't work(read- is BullSh--).....we found the leak in a 400 foot line by "witching" it. We knew by isolating each line (through the valves), which line was leaking but could not tell ,without "witching",exactly where the leak was.(these lines are 8 to 10 feet down) Three generations of us "witched" it. Me, my 17 year old son and my Dad. I was within about 5 feet of the leak, my Dad was within 8 feet and my son was pretty much dead on top of it.
I wish that the term "divining" would catch on a little more. It sounds so much more PC than "witching". :lol:

If you can do it under controlled conditions, you are a millionaire. James Randi will give $1 million USD to anyone who can demonstrate it works more than random chance. You tell him how you want to do it, and they'll setup the test. Hundreds have tried from all over the world, and not a single one has come close.

If you can do it under controlled conditions, you are a millionaire. James Randi will give $1 million USD to anyone who can demonstrate it works more than random chance. You tell him how you want to do it, and they'll setup the test. Hundreds have tried from all over the world, and not a single one has come close.

Only thing is, James Randi is a supernatural wacko that is looking to explain water witching as something that is paranormal. I can see people being termed as failures if they don't think or can't tie it to supernatural BS. Being that little research is spent on plant physiology, particularly generic plant hormones and secondary compounds, we still know very little about the individual plant. Science will eventually explain water witching, but perhaps not in the next 20 years. I know how to witch for water, was taught how by my father. Many memories of looking for large water veins. Last one we found was in '03? in the back section of a 20 acres bush pasture that had just been harvested the previous winter. By both of our estimations, the vein is about 15 feet down and the pull was so strong for both of us, that it probably could be a opened up as a flowing well. Now we just have to clear a road for a driller to get back to that spot and prove us right :wink:

Some drillers don't think to highly of the 'witching' business. Thankfully, we witched our new well drilled in '94, rather then relying on the driller who was more than ready to turn the yard into swiss cheese at that time. :shock: :roll:

I used to think water-witching was hot air but once you see someone do it I was convinced otherwise. I seen water lines witched with copper wire. Doesn't work as well for everyone the electrical current in some must be stronger.

I had a good friend, since deceased, that was a water witch- witched about 1/2 the wells in the county...He used to also like to go out and use his witching like a metal detector to find buried items...

During the time I was Sheriff/Coroner we had a scuba diver drown under the ice in the Missouri River...During the body recovery efforts, we had the area isolated down to about a 1/2 mile strip of the river, but were having no luck with randomly cutting holes in the ice and putting down divers- Hank volunteered that he could detect aluminum and the diver was wearing aluminum tanks...I took him out on the ice and he flagged 3 spots-- Divers found a lead lined sewer pipe at the first, a sack of aluminum beer cans at the second, and the missing diver at the third...

A lot of the onlookers thought we were nuts walking around with a couple of copper rods- but I think that day made a few more believers....

Our neighbor lady in W. Montana was famous for her water-witching abilities. My husband can witch, but she was awesome. I don't have whatever it takes (in more ways than one) but honestly, I could hold the willow branch and walk around with it and feel nothing; she could put her hand on my shoulder and walk with me and it was entirely different. I could witch a little with her help. Whatever she possessed was very strong, she could tell depth, etc. with great accuracy. She did all the wells around that country. Never charged a dime. She has passed away now.

Only thing is, James Randi is a supernatural wacko that is looking to explain water witching as something that is paranormal. [/quote]

James Randi is a debunker of fakery and frauds like psychics and dowsers. He doesn't believe any of it is supernatural at all. All one has to do is prove it and you get the million. Normally 6 out of ten hits would be enough, but most dowsers actually get fewer than random chance.

Sure, he is trying to debunk these ideas from any paranormal or supernatural context. He is going to specifically target those who think that dowsing is tied to such ideas, in order to justify his beliefs. Interesting to see what would happen if some kind of scientific structural principals were attached to witching,...wonder what he would have to say about it then?

Abstract

'Within a period of two years some 100 dowsers have been tested by means of sophisticated experiments, designed and supervised by a very large team of scientists. A statistical analysis of the results revealed a very high level of significance for the existence of a real dowsing phenomenon.

"Further geological experiments have been conducted, and are still going on, which aim at the location of underground drinking water. The results turn out to be extremely positive. This leaves hardly any doubt that certain persons are capable of locating position-dependent anomalies by utilizing a new, still unknown mechanism. Various attempts will be described which explain how the reproducible phenomena could be dealt with.'

(Betz, Hans D.; "Recent Results on Water Dowsing," Journal of Scientific Exploration, 8:436, 1994. Journal address: P.O. Box 5848, Stanford, CA 94309-5848.)

Latest posts