• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Printed ear tags

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LCP

Reaction score
We've used Y-tex or Z-tags in our cows for a long time, and been writing the numbers by hand. Seems like the ink fades faster every year. I suppose they figure they will sell more tags that way. Anyhow we are thinking about buying some custom numbered tags. I've used the hot stamp kind before, won't do that again. Anyone out there have experience with other forms of printing?

If you do use custom numbered tags,use white tags the coloured ones seem to curl up during the summer and very hard to read if at all.At least thats my experience using them.

Something to try with your tags to keep from fading is to take them after you put your number on them- and stick them in the microwave for about 20 seconds (no longer)...

I was told a few years ago about this by a breeder- and have tried it on some- and so far it seems to be holding true... Any of the permanent cow tags we stick in now have all been nuked...The ones I nuked- are way far plainer... I'll see how it works in another 5-6 years....

Oldtimer said:
Something to try with your tags to keep from fading is to take them after you put your number on them- and stick them in the microwave for 20 seconds (no longer)...

I was told a few years ago about this by a breeder- and have tried it on some- and so far it seems to be holding true... Any of the permanent cow tags we stick in now have all been nuked...The ones I nuked- are way far plainer... I'll see how it works in another 5-6 years....

yep thats the way i do it ,just make sure the tags you use have no metal in them

I've had the best luck with yellow tags and black ink. Wait for the ink to dry and give it a second application. The only ones that seem to fade are those with one coat. I've been meaning to try the microwave idea, but there's no microwave in the barn where I make out tags, and I like to make them out as the calves are born.
Ritchie makes an engrave-able tag that of course never fade. We quit on them because they tended to break off at the stem. The neighbours use them and they don't appear to be breaking, so maybe Ritchie fixed the problem.

*Edited to say Ritchie, because I mistakenly said Allflex originally

I still like the Temple Tags out of Temple Texas http://www.templetag.com/ - - - The original tags are still readable at about 5 years - - - I have tried others and seems they all fade about the same but with the buttom and taper Temple tags put together I almost never lose a tag - - - can't say that with any other tags I have tried.

After they fade I reapply about every 2 years when they are in the chute anyway.

My name , address, and phone number on the back will last about 10 years - - - not as much sun to the back side!

I use the large red with black ink on the cows and Yellow medium with black ink for the claves - - - as I get older it is easier for me to read the Yellow and with under 25 cows I might order a large set of Yellow and replace all this fall - - - Less than $1.00 each

Great people to deal with even with small orders like mine!

I'll have to try the microwave idea, never heard of it before. Trouble is it takes a long time to find out what works!

I sold a 15 yr old cow last spring, still had her original cow tags I put in her 13 yrs ago. They were Z-tags and I never had to write new numbers on them. Something must have changed in their ink, because I've never had as good a luck as I did with her. I think we switched to Y-tex after that. I guess I should have cut those old Z-tags out, maybe if I sent them to the company I'd get some kind of deal!

Y-tex makes a gel that soaks into the tag and I have yet to see it every fade. Our cows all get engraved ritchie tags though, they are by far my favorite.

Jake said:
Y-tex makes a gel that soaks into the tag and I have yet to see it every fade. Our cows all get engraved ritchie tags though, they are by far my favorite.

Ya---Y-tex--or somebody---used to make an ink that kinda melted in and 'bonded'----if you were short a tag, made a mistake and realized it almost instantly---you couldn't even get it all off with a pocketknife, actually cutting into the tag. I've picked these up off ground that were lost 20+ yrs ago and still very readible. But---they were on the ground.

On colors, we try to pick one the guys across the fence don't have---'hot pink' not being very manly, we got it to ourselves. Last few yrs, we've went back to 'boc loc' brisket tags, put them in the repl @ preg check--leave the ear tags in, that's their mother's number and kinda helps.

one other thing i started doing is putting a different color tag in the hefeirs,makes alot easier for sorting and counting,and when they come into the chute in the fall i know what they are

I use the Ritche tag. I call it a sandwich tag. It is a colored layer over black center, and the # is ground into it. no fading ever. Works for me.

i've had very good luck with the z tags staying visible. although, i notice all the 3 year old's tags are fading fast, must have had a bad batch of ink that year :?

I used the Z tags and kept finding them at the bale feeders, faded as quick as any. I have not tried Ritchie tags - - - how well do they stay in? the laminated process sounds like they might be worth trying!

littlejoe said:
Jake said:

Ya---Y-tex--or somebody---used to make an ink that kinda melted in and 'bonded'----if you were short a tag, made a mistake and realized it almost instantly---you couldn't even get it all off with a pocketknife, actually cutting into the tag. I've picked these up off ground that were lost 20+ yrs ago and still very readible. But---they were on the ground.

On colors, we try to pick one the guys across the fence don't have---'hot pink' not being very manly, we got it to ourselves. Last few yrs, we've went back to 'boc loc' brisket tags, put them in the repl @ preg check--leave the ear tags in, that's their mother's number and kinda helps.

Immediately post-BSE we had a program called Set-aside here that basically paid a percentage of $ to keep cattle off of a flooded market. All the cattle had to be tagged with pink bar-coded tags. We never participated in the program, but it happened to be a year where my dad drew the short straw and wound up getting hot pink.
Basically, when these set-aside calves came to market the price was lower to the tune of the prior payout. When we shipped backgrounders that year, the pink tags came in and a buyer asked if they were set asides. If there was ever a reason to be present it was then. My immediate un-thought through reaction was to stand up in the crowd and let them know in no uncertain terms that they "Sure as HE!@ are not!"
Those tags nearly cost us several thousand $.

Ritchey don't stay in any better than others I've tried, but the #s have lasted 12 - 14 years on the oldest I've got. The T lock buttons seem to help. I have had some of them 18 months and haven't lost any.

I went to the Ritchie website and ordered a catalog - - - It looks like they will be about twice the cost of Temples and use the same button so if they stay great.

When you normally have fewer than 25 moma cows doubling the cost of tags is not a bank breaker if they stay!

I have found that Y-Tex has changed the plastic resins that they make the tags from. It must be an attempt at making tags that break down after being lost or removed. The new tags either blur or fad rapidly. I have tags that have been inked for less then a year and never been used on cattle and these are fading. These tags were inked with Y-Tex ink. I have custom printed tags front and back that are over a year old and the ink is leaching through making both sides blurry. I have a custom printed Y-Tex tag that has to be over 20 years old and the ink has yet to fad off the tag or blur. Obviously they continuously keep changing the plastic resins every few years.

The worst tags I have ever seen were Y-Tex, and the only time I have had experience with them were on bulls bought out in Western Canada. Every single tag on 2 year old bulls were warped and rolled up like a piece of paper. Absolutely useless.

Ritchey tags are great for readability. But their button system is pathetic. The T-locks and original round buttons they supply are junk and using Allflex buttons instead do work better, but still lose a pile in the winter.

I started using Z-tags last year on the heifer calves and I think I am sold on them. Haven't lost a single one and the microwave trick seems to work. I put them in for 20 seconds on high and then write over them a 2nd time. 25 seconds is too long and will melt some of the tags.

I use z tags the cheap feedlot version on calves then switch to the better ones for replacements and cows but we freeze brand all of the keepers so ear tags are not real important.

Z tags with laser print have a lifetime of the animal warranty for fading. And they are reasonably priced and cant print whatevr u want.[/u]

Latest posts