• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Prion research breakthrough announced

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Reader, This is some interesting work and I appreciate you posting it. Seems as though there is more prion research being done than I once thought.

But......................

I'm amazed that no one has chastized these scientists for using mice and hamsters as experimental animals instead of cows! :wink:

Ignorance has no limits.

reader (the second)

I have read your posts and do believe and agree that it is terrible. At the moment, there is nothing I can do about it, so therefore have made no comments. Again, I am sorry for the loss of your loved one.

If you can get a web address with the full text of the published paper, I would be appreciative.

I wonder if they used dark-field microscopy to follow the fluorescent marker??

These same docs have done some research in the past, on the role of healthy PrPC, and on what causes cell death. It appears the PrPC protects the nerve cells from oxidative stress.

Can't wait to read the paper.

I really need to see the report before I comment on what the scientists have done; but,... I have suspicions about some of the materials and processes used in the experiment which would really call into validity the usefullness of this data.

This looks awfully familiar to the Pall Corp. blood test in which they claimed they could remove prions from the blood. First, they added prions to the blood and then they removed them.

I doubt the "prion" in this new study is the full prion protein. It is probably only a portion of the prion - lacking the glyco-anchor. If this is the case, of course it would move around, as the anchor is not present to attach it to the cell surface. And, once again it is an inoculation procedure which skips alot of natural processes involved. I'll have to get my hands on it, and get some further comments from other TSE researchers.

Dr. Vitaly Vodyanoy, at Auburn, has a link that shows the "Borrelia burgdorferi" that causes "Lyme disease" boring into a living cell, using dark-field microscopy at: (see Video Demonstration)

http://www.auburn.edu/research/vpr/ipttadm/microscope2.htm

I would hope that since the Rocky Mountain Labs study was partially funded by the NIH, that everyone can access this study for free.

Latest posts