• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Privermectin™ Pour-On for Cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

alabama

Reaction score
Privermectin™ Pour-On for Cattle
Has anyone used this product or know anything about it. I can get 10 liters for $180. And they clam it is ivermectin:
5 mg ivermectin per ml
(First Priority) For treatment & control of gastrointestinal roundworms, lungworms, grubs, horn flies, sucking & biting lice & sarcoptic manage mites in cattle. Recommended dose of 1 ml per 22 lbs of body weight. 48 day slaughter withdrawal. Do not use in female dairy cattle of breeding age. Comes with strap & cap.

Twin Pack: Get (2) 5 ltr for $179.90 (89.95 each).
I can pick it up in Dothan Alabama so I don't have to pay a shipping charge.

Just another generic ivermectin, and its cheap. If you look, you can find Cydectine and Dectomax for about twice those numbers. For me $3/head is cheap enough that saving alittlemore money falls way behind servicability of delivery. We really like the Cydectine in the spring because the carrier stands up to a little precip - that's servicability of delivery. We like Dectomax in the fall because its steadfast against lice.

The Chinese generics may be good enough, but I can't afford the trials to prove them, and I am so pleased with what I use that I couldn't use the Chinese crap if it were free. Good wormer is one of the few slam dunks in our biz.

Are you aware of the immunity build-up to the Avermectin products?

If you have just been using any kind of Avermectin product for worming, it would be wise to switch to Safe-guard. It gets many more types of worms.

Refer to the Parasite Issue of Beef Magazine. I think it was the MAY issue.

We have been running fecals on a lot of cattle and we are finding a big gap where Avermectin (that's ALL of 'em, not just a certain brand) products have been used exclusively.

Nemotaditis is a biggie; this worm can kill calves and no avermectin product will touch those worms.

Also, if you de-worm using a feed through product, it kills worms in a little different way. It also works much better as you get a kill over an extended period of time as compared to a peak kill and then nothing.

There is a lot of research currently being done on this.

THe avermectin immunity buildup is news to me, but we run fecals in the fall and haven't seen it yet. We used to use Valbazen or Safe Guard in the spring as a cost savings ($3 vs $5) but everything got so cheap 3 or 4 years ago. I hate catchig heads to treat, but will if I must.

Tell me more about the "feed through" wormers.

The wormer in the feed-throughs is Safeguard. Is available in mineral (Vigortone-don't know if any other company has been approved for it or not) and one sack treats 50,000#. So you figure how many pounds of cattle you have in a pasture, both cows and calves, (don't forget the bulls) and take away all mineral and salt for a day or two. Put the mineral out and leave it until it is ALL gone. Works really good. We do it in December because we work our cows in October and that is too early to deworm as they could become reinfested. We do pour them at that time for lice and grubs. That's a little too early for lice, but we have been getting by all right. We have been pouring the cattle a couple of times in the summer for flies and the product we use also gets lice. I think that has a bearing on the lice load in the winter~we have interupted the lice cycle at least three times in a year, that way.

Also there are pellets and crumbles with Safe-guard for deworming. There are some blocks available but blocks don't work very good for much of anything, not even salt, IMO. They get tired of licking before they get enough.

Dr. Don Bliss has research that supports the resistance to the avermectins. He also advocates worming as a feed-through as his option of choice. He thinks it is much better to get a kill over a period of time as opposed to one blast and then nothing.

I hope I answered your question satisfactorily.

Strategic deworming is important. Inour area they recommend it 6 weeks after turnout. When we did it, we kept track and the cattle that were wormed mid-June, the calves weighed 22 lbs. more.

But we have a problem getting our cattle to eat mineral from mid-June to mid-October. We just about have to force them to it and so we don't worm then. But I wish we could. The years we did, we did the young cattle and put them in a crested wheat pasture that was pretty eaten down. They did eat the mineral/wormer then. This year we don't have anything eaten down that much!!

I went to a seminar put on by Don Bliss. He would not suggest any one method/product of de-worming unless a stool sample was analyzed in his lab. He did say there was some evidence of resistance in the ivermectins too.

His main point of topic was 1-timing, and 2-product. He was VERY knowledgeable and is probably the premier parasite researcher in the U.S.

He did say NEVER use the same brand of de-wormer more than 2 years running, and even suggested 2 different brands in spring and fall in mama cows.

I have been to his talks, too, Mike, and for such a boring subject, he really keeps your attention.

I agree, he is probably the FOREMOST parasite expert in the US.

That's why I was SHOCKED when I read the article in BEEF about parasites. He's pretty adamant about the resistance to avermecterins and has the data to back it up.

Did you read that article? Gosh, I have heard him say those things, but didn't know he would go public with it. He HAS to have his stuff together to make the statements he did.

I believe it was in the May issue. Says Parasite Issue right on the front.
I meant to keep it, and I did make copies. But it is all missing now.

So is one of my cookbooks.

I think we have a ghost around here that likes digiatal cameras, magazines with good information and cook books. :???:

THanks FH, I can see where getting them short of grass would push them to eat mineral with no real detriment. Assume the mineral is a separate expense, what about cost? For me, a fed wormer would be most beneficial in the spring also.

Latest posts