• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Problem Neighbor

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Andy

Reaction score
I have a neighbor that thinks that if any cattle get out he should be able to keep them. About 15 years ago a guy had some cattle get out in this guys bean feild and was shart 6 pairs. Turned out the neighbor had them and wouldn't admit it until the sheriff showed up an he wouldn't allow him to press charges. The neighbor also collected a nice insurance check for his bean feild. Today I had the cow herd drift through a fence and most went into a hay feild and about 16 head went into his yard an got in to his silage pile for about 15-20 minutes. He penned them up and I put all me cows back and his son was in the yard so I asked him to help me get the cows out and back down the road. His place is only 1/4 mile down the road. We ran the 16 head down the road but there dog fallowed me so when I put the cows in I brought the dog back to the son and I was kinda behind some bales and I heard the neighbor yell to the kid. "You didn't give him those cows back did you". So I jump back on the quad and cruise over to him and ask him how much damage the cows did and how much I owed him and he told me nothin just to make sure the cows didn't get out again. I know that if I hadn't been there 30minutes after the cows got out he would of had them in a back pen and off to a sale somewhere. I don't live in a brand inspection area so he could of just sold them.
Question is how do you deal with someone like this. I am working on putting up a very good fence most is 5 barb but putting up 7 along him. And am thinking about camaras, what else would you do to prevent any future problems?

BRANDEM ANYWAY!!!!! a hot iron is still positive ID. Get it registered and if you have to have the county sheriff look at them ,it is something to go to court with. Good fences, good brands, make good neighbors. :cboy:

Good Fences and branded cattle is the best thing you can have. You would believe at how many times some ranchers think they can just sell the cattle that shows up on their place and not contact the local police department or the owner of them. They end up in bigger trouble with the law than they throught.

Andy I'm from se sd and I thought all west river was a brand inpection area, anyway in SD we have a newer law in the books must guy don't know, if any animal strays to your place by law you have to report it to the brand inpector or the sheriff within 10 days, or it is like stealing, after I think 30 days and the owner is not found the animal is sold in the brand board name, the guy that had the stock at his farm is paid $1 per day per head and milage to the nearest sale barn, total not to be more than the amount the animal brings. The point I'm making with this is, it would be ez to set him up. I have reg angus so all my cattle including afew comm have ear tattos that is something most criminols would not know. Good luck

Brand them! And then i'd have a short conversation along these lines with your "neighbor"......... We can either get along as friends or as two crooks. You can call me when or if my cows ever get out or you can steal them and take them to the sale barn. But just know the next time you go on vacation i'll be waiting to get even! You make the call!

leanin' H said:
Brand them! And then i'd have a short conversation along these lines with your "neighbor"......... We can either get along as friends or as two crooks. You can call me when or if my cows ever get out or you can steal them and take them to the sale barn. But just know the next time you go on vacation i'll be waiting to get even! You make the call!

I like it. That thing called tough love, eh leanin H? But good fences would be a good place to start.

I'm with Gcreekrch, Northern Rancher, and Leanin' H...probably the worst of it is, sounds like he's teaching his boy the same values, or lack thereof.

I don't wont to do anything illegal or setting him up because this guy is just to shifty for that. His oldest son left because he couldn't take all the BS. The only good thing is that he is 60ish years old and will be retireing soon I hope.

Try one thing first before you have to resort to agressive tactics.
Take a coupon for a free pizza to the son or something like that. Even do it for the father if you want.
It might blow his mind

Reward the son, give the father the bird.

Yeah I know neighbors are not fun, got a couple like that.

Being the smart alec I am I would hang a rope with a noose tied in it on the fence.

Brand your cattle and get pics of each one.
Story went around our area concerning a missing bull. the owner called everybody up and down the Missouri on both sides. Never found the bull until he showed up at the sale barn a few years later. He was sold under the "real" owners name and the guy who shipped him got in a heap of trouble and a bad rep.

Andy said:
I have a neighbor that thinks that if any cattle get out he should be able to keep them. About 15 years ago a guy had some cattle get out in this guys bean feild and was shart 6 pairs. Turned out the neighbor had them and wouldn't admit it until the sheriff showed up an he wouldn't allow him to press charges. The neighbor also collected a nice insurance check for his bean feild. Today I had the cow herd drift through a fence and most went into a hay feild and about 16 head went into his yard an got in to his silage pile for about 15-20 minutes. He penned them up and I put all me cows back and his son was in the yard so I asked him to help me get the cows out and back down the road. His place is only 1/4 mile down the road. We ran the 16 head down the road but there dog fallowed me so when I put the cows in I brought the dog back to the son and I was kinda behind some bales and I heard the neighbor yell to the kid. "You didn't give him those cows back did you". So I jump back on the quad and cruise over to him and ask him how much damage the cows did and how much I owed him and he told me nothin just to make sure the cows didn't get out again. I know that if I hadn't been there 30minutes after the cows got out he would of had them in a back pen and off to a sale somewhere. I don't live in a brand inspection area so he could of just sold them.
Question is how do you deal with someone like this.
I am working on putting up a very good fence most is 5 barb but putting up 7 along him. And am thinking about camaras, what else would you do to prevent any future problems?

Sounds to me like you are doing the right thing,good fences make good neighbors,keep your cattle branded Andy,brand inspector state or not,those folks think long and hard about selling stock with a brand on their hip,dont you have some state assc. that will track cattle,down here in Texas we dont have state brand inspectors either we have the southwest cattlemans assc that will work cattle cases,call them and tell em what to look for,now imagine calling the sheriff or anyone for that matter and tellin them you lost 26 black cows.............no brand.
good luck

Latest posts