• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

PROLAPSE NEEDLES

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
I rember the first time I seen one,I swore right then and there they had no place in my vet box.I use a #1 surgical needle with eigth inch umbilical tape,works good for me ,whats your opinion?........good luck

S.S.A.P. said:
Quite honestly ..... we have no need to carry any of the above in our 'tag' box.

Then you aint tended many cattle ,if all you have in your "tag box?"is tags........good luck PS I have some folks around here that sometimes call for help and while I dont claim to be a vet,I do doctor my own cattle and some friends,you call a vet every time a "beef cow" needs attention you are gonna have a hard time getting that ole girl to pencil.

There you go again Haymaker .... presuming (my but you're good at that). I won't deny we don't call a Vet (2 c-sections in the past 20 years - no prolapses). However our Vet does smile when we come in to purchase branding and weaning vaccines, semen-test the sale bulls and purchase WestNile/Flu shots for the horses. Guess we just "tend" cattle differently.

Northern Rancher said:
Connie you know how experienced Oldtimer and Haymaker are they've been everything but a mother.

Here I am just trying to have a lil ranch talk conversation ...........and get attacked by canuckle heads, and folks wonder why I drink whiskey sssssshhhhheeeessshhhhh, some times I wonder about this reputation you Canadians have about being friendly............good luck

Northern Rancher said:
Connie you know how experienced Oldtimer and Haymaker are they've been everything but a mother.

LOL .. well Northern Rancher, that certainly brought a smile to my face :wink: :D

I guess even a friendly canuck can have his full of what your pitchin'-guess I shouldn't be picking on a guy whose haystack is a few bales short.Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrry my thin skinned Texas wonder.

Northern Rancher said:
I guess even a friendly canuck can have his full of what your pitchin'-guess I shouldn't be picking on a guy whose haystack is a few bales short.Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrry my thin skinned Texas wonder.

why dont you keep your insults on the other page,where they are better accepted?....................good luck PS tell me when

I carry the same as you Haymaker. Also have a variety of needles in my "surgical case". Occassionaly I use a Buhner prolapse needle, as I help out neighbors too includeing doing C sections but that has changed over the years due to more emphasis on birth weights.

Big Muddy rancher said:
What's a prolapse? I run 400 Angus cows.

I have put stiches in more than one straight angus...........good luck PS some times I wonder about you boy.

I've had the misfortune of seeing prolapses in all breeds of cattle. I refuse to believe it's breed related.
Rather than a needle, I push heavy copper wire through and form loops where I want the stitching to run. When I have enough loops in place I lace her up with cord.
If I catch the cow down and outside, I lift the cow's hip up off the ground a few inches with a front end loader by lifting up on her hind legs. This seems to take the strain off things and generally it practically falls back in.

I'm sure some of ya'll have heard this joke.

Two ranchers were admiring 3 cows in a pen. One was a pure bred Angus top of the line, the other was a pure bred Charolais top of the line and the last cow was a pure bred Hereford, also top of the line. While the ranchers were talking to each other admiring the 3 cows, a huge airplane flew extremely low overhead and the sound was deafening. The ranchers cussed back and forth a little from the noise and then noticed the 3 cows. When that darn plane flew over head, the Angus crawled under the fence without touching a single wire and escaped, the Charolais jumped over and completely cleared the fence and escaped, but the ole Hereford......she just prolapsed! :cowboy: 8)

THe locals (us included) all use #1 needles i believe,and shoe string,yup shoe string,but then again,as soon as she's sewed up,off to the sale she goes...Just a quick question,is there really any use in keeping a prolapsed cow?...

Why wouldn't you keep a prolapsed cow? Prolapse after birthing is no fault of the cow, and not likely to happen again. I've put them back together and had no problems with them ever again. The vets claim it's not genetic either, and I believe that from what I've seen.

Haymaker, those big prolapse needles are designed to be used in a cow that's had a local anesthetic. Then they are the best thing since sliced bread. The vet I work for uses ubilical cord too. It's strong, and yet doesn't irritate.

I agree that prolapses from calving aren't a genetic thing. More likely the strain of a tough calving. And if it was a heifer that did it, odds are she'll never do it again. Old cows that start with the vaginal prolapse thing before calving are a different thing though. Muscle tone is going, and they will probably become chronic. I also know that old Hereford cows are the ones we see the most with this problem.

TXTibbs said:
I'm sure some of ya'll have heard this joke.

Two ranchers were admiring 3 cows in a pen. One was a pure bred Angus top of the line, the other was a pure bred Charolais top of the line and the last cow was a pure bred Hereford, also top of the line. While the ranchers were talking to each other admiring the 3 cows, a huge airplane flew extremely low overhead and the sound was deafening. The ranchers cussed back and forth a little from the noise and then noticed the 3 cows. When that darn plane flew over head, the Angus crawled under the fence without touching a single wire and escaped, the Charolais jumped over and completely cleared the fence and escaped, but the ole Hereford......she just prolapsed! :cowboy: 8)
:lol: :lol: O-o-oh O-o-oh -ooh ohh - oo-o-ohh- ver-r-y fun-n-y! :lol: That is very subtle. Sort of a "three pronged" gouge.

I thought after a cow prolapsed if she had another calf,itd happen again...Thats pretty much common knowledge around here,the only reason they sew her up is so she can move comfortably,and in some sinister instances,to trick the naieve (sp?) buyer that shes a fine old cow for under the money...Im going to go ask around about that.... :shock:

Latest posts