• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

PROLAPSE NEEDLES

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I helped the neighbour put a firt calver back together a year ago.... he had her in the cull pen last fall so I bought her from him for a song. Purebred Blonde, bred well, beautiful cow. She calved unassisted for me this spring with absolutely no problems. Not an unusual story.

Silver said:
I helped the neighbour put a firt calver back together a year ago.... he had her in the cull pen last fall so I bought her from him for a song. Purebred Blonde, bred well, beautiful cow. She calved unassisted for me this spring with absolutely no problems. Not an unusual story.
Well I had a heifer prolapse a few years ago the next spring she did it again but that time she died around here thats a reason to be culled also any heifers from that cow go down the road to many good cattle to keep the junk....

There are two kinds of "prolapse". One is when a cow has trouble calving and the whole calf-bed continues to come out with the calf. It is my experience that just because this happens once, if you can successfully get it put back in and the cow lives, it probably won't happen again.

The other kind of prolapse is when an ol' cow (usually with Hereford genes in her makeup) will stand around, and out of sheer boredom, proclaim to the world at large, "I think I will prolapse today." And then she will do the dirty deed. This kind of prolapse can happen before they calve or anytime up to five years after the calf is born. Usually one little "red balloon" will appear and it will continue to get larger. Soon out of the other hole will appear another little red balloon, and it, too, will continue to get larger. At this point, the cowboy in charge has to secure the cow in some fashion and dive in with both hands. It is a dirty stinky unfun job, and after pushing things back in place, the cow needs to be sewed up to prevent the reoccurance of it happening again.

The sewing up of the cow is usually done with materials at hand, and baling wire sometimes is used. This is not a good choice, as it is not very clean, and it always has to be taken out at some later point in time. "Hog rings" are another unwise choice, because the scars left behind are so ugly. The best choice is to use umbilical tape (which is wide white string), and an "S" shaped needle works well for administering it.

There are secrets to sewing. A "tobacco" pouch system works the best. Usually two stitches across each opening is adequate, both for prolapse retention and for allowing room for necessary body functions. In using the tobacco pouch technique, take the S-shaped needle and go inside the cow's opening. Poke a hole to the outside, right at the hairline, and bring the needle back out so it can get some fresh air. Then about an inch and a half below, take the needle and plunge it back inside the cow. Go across on the inside of the cow and come out again on her other side. After pulling the thread snug, push it back in about an inch and a half above where it came out and then bring the needle back out the cows opening. After finding the original end of the thread, pull tight on both ends and tie a couple square knots. These will be inside the cow, out of sight.

The only thread on the outside of the cow will be a vertical inch and a half, one on each side of her. There will be no horizontal outside threads that leave such bad scar tissue. If there is a feeling of a job well done, bask briefly in your glory, keep that old cow's number firmly in mind and sell her at the earliest convenience. :mad: :???: :? :shock: :evil: :oops: :!: :wink:

Soapweed, Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge in the field of prolapse repair and the proper methods of doing so. This information will no doubt enable me to preserve and perpetuate the beauty and resplendance of my cattle's........ Vagina's.

My bulls will appreciate it too, as they have particularly keen eyes referring to this matter and have on occasions refused the "Urge to Merge" because of the unsightful consequences brought forth from my not performing this task with due diligence.

:wink: 8) :shock: :???: :p :D :lol: :( :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Seriously, Thanks!

Denny said:
Silver said:
Well I had a heifer prolapse a few years ago the next spring she did it again but that time she died around here thats a reason to be culled also any heifers from that cow go down the road to many good cattle to keep the junk....

The cow I mentioned prolapsed immediatly after calving. Like Soapweed so eloquently wrote, this is not the fault of the cow and I stand by that. I call it uteran prolapse because the uterus comes with it as opposed to the vaginal prolapse that can happen at any time and of course condems a cow to the cull pen. Or worse yet the 'anal prolapse'... ugh! I have never seen a repeat offender of the 'uteran prolapse' although anything is possible. I agree there is lots of good cattle out there, but I like to cull for actual problems rather than percieved problems. Bad feet is an actual problem from a genetic stanpoint that will haunt you for years to come in offspring. We allways professed the best way to trim a cows feet was to clip them off right behind the ears.

The definitive word on prolapse.........
Doesn't matter what the hell the vets say,prolapse is inherent!!!!Think about this, have you ever seen it in a wild animal?WE have eliminated it from our herd by keeping good records and unforgiving culling.It doesn't matter,vaginal or uterine,off she goes and any close relatives.
Back in the days we did sew we had a better way. once healed you will not see a scar. Ask Haymaker......Like The Shadow....He knows! :wink: :lol:

Juan said:
The definitive word on prolapse.........
Doesn't matter what the hell the vets say,prolapse is inherent!!!!Think about this, have you ever seen it in a wild animal?WE have eliminated it from our herd by keeping good records and unforgiving culling.It doesn't matter,vaginal or uterine,off she goes and any close relatives.
Back in the days we did sew we had a better way. once healed you will not see a scar. Ask Haymaker......Like The Shadow....He knows! :wink: :lol:

Yes I have seen it in wild animals.

Latest posts