• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Prolapse

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Went out to put out hay yesterday and found one just startin to prolapse. This is a first!!! In 15 years we've never had one do this. She's a 9 year old cow, so we pushed her into the corrals, ran her up into the chute and poked ever thang back in, and sewed her up. She's been baggin and springin for the last week. Now guess it's a game of goin to check on her several times a day so we can remove the stitches when the times right. Then hopefully a healthy calf on the ground, wait a week or so, then they both can load up and take a trip. Im just glad it happened when it did, beins we were gone all day today.

Good catch - - - I was concerned when the vet preg checked and one of them prolasped - -- she just pushed every thing back and said it would be fine. So far OK but we will see at calving time.

I realise in your case it was not caused by trama but by stress but I feel you have the right plan in mind.

Google Search:

Cattle
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Cattle+prolapse&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Sheep
http://www.pipevet.com/photos/vaginal_prolapse.htm

If I have any luck with them *Auction They Do Go*

It often goes in familys and I have been known to 'cull' the mother/other femals also if their on the ranch

OD/NT,

I had the same thot as far as culling related females. I started with saleyard cows. I kept hiefers and built. I found many times they wouldn't begin prolapsing until 3-5 years of age. I found I eliminated a ton of headaches by getting rid of all females related.

I had one cow that gave me 5 steers before the first hiefer. Always great calves and I looked forward to keeping this hiefer. Well, she prolapsed on the next calf, so I sold her and didn't keep the hiefer. I haven't had a prolapse for 5 years.

It takes a few years for the ligaments to weaken I think, so it doesn't show until the cow gets some age. I found the same culling on udders and mothering has eliminated the work end,

PPRM

PPRM said:
OD/NT,

I had the same thot as far as culling related females. I started with saleyard cows. I kept hiefers and built. I found many times they wouldn't begin prolapsing until 3-5 years of age. I found I eliminated a ton of headaches by getting rid of all females related.

I had one cow that gave me 5 steers before the first hiefer. Always great calves and I looked forward to keeping this hiefer. Well, she prolapsed on the next calf, so I sold her and didn't keep the hiefer. I haven't had a prolapse for 5 years.

It takes a few years for the ligaments to weaken I think, so it doesn't show until the cow gets some age. I found the same culling on udders and mothering has eliminated the work end,

PPRM

One of the Strongest tool a Breeder Has is the Cull Pen.
Make the diffreance:
Are you a Breeder or Collector

"It's Hard to be a Breeder Sometimes"
-------------------------
A neighbor always wanted me to createak (sp) his stud for him – He'd get mad when I'd decline.

He saw the Vet's Truck and came over –
"What the Hell are you doing?"
I answered – "He was a good Stud, Now he's a great Horse!"
"But – I like him better than mine!"
"What's that tell ya!"
He still Breeds Average Horses and has not spoken to me in years - - Dam I miss his wife 'A' cakes :cry2: :cboy:

Latest posts