• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

prolapse

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Long time no see. Hope this finds you all well. I have a question, cow prolapse while having calf.....got it back in and stitched closed. Wasn't uterus just a volleyball size prolapse. My question is...how long do you leave the stitches in? Got her penned and calf with her.

I use umbellica tape, it will disintegrate over time and be gone, only time I will cut it is they haven't calved yet. Glad to see ya back, hope all is well.

What he said. Those usually don't rebreed in my experience, but they don't get infected either. Pick out another heifer, and trade up. How ya'all wintering?

We are wintering great other than its super super wet. Which is way better than dry ....
We aren't gonna keep her....just let her raise the calf up to weaning. I don't want to have to keep her penned up for 6 months. That's why I was asking how long to leave the stitches in. It was sewed with the tape mentioned by James. But everything I've read ...nothing says they will rot and fall out.

Hi Jersey :D As long as she is passing pee and manure fine just leave them in until you sell her. That way you won't be temped to keep her. :D

Don't stay away so long,

Where were you?

On Holidays. :wink: :lol: :lol:

I have been super busy with my furniture painting business along with the grand baby. Barrel raced along with my daughter last season....just living life to the fullest. Mr Lilly is retired now...so we go do see pretty much when we want.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I have been super busy with my furniture painting business along with the grand baby. Barrel raced along with my daughter last season....just living life to the fullest. Mr Lilly is retired now...so we go do see pretty much when we want.

I have missed your pictures!

Latest posts