• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Prusiner on Prions in Blood & Meat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
"In, vCJD, prions accumulate not just in the brain and spinal cord but also in the lymphoid tissue, such as tonsils and appendix, suggesting that prions enter the bloodstream. Sheep and rodent studies have shown that prions can be transmitted to healthy animals through blood transfusions from infected animals. (Snip)
Given the evidence that prions are found in blood, prions may be present in any organ including muscle, since all tissues are perfuse with blood. Patrick Bosque (now at University of Colorado's Healthe Science Center) and I found prions in the hind limb of muscles mice at a level approx. 100,000-fold higher than that found in blood. Michael Beekes and his colleagues at the Robert Koch Institute in Berlin discovered high-levels of prions in virtually all skeletal muscles, not just in the hind limbs."

Mike said:
"In, vCJD, prions accumulate not just in the brain and spinal cord but also in the lymphoid tissue, such as tonsils and appendix, suggesting that prions enter the bloodstream. Sheep and rodent studies have shown that prions can be transmitted to healthy animals through blood transfusions from infected animals. (Snip)
Given the evidence that prions are found in blood, prions may be present in any organ including muscle, since all tissues are perfuse with blood. Patrick Bosque (now at University of Colorado's Healthe Science Center) and I found prions in the hind limb of muscles mice at a level approx. 100,000-fold higher than that found in blood. Michael Beekes and his colleagues at the Robert Koch Institute in Berlin discovered high-levels of prions in virtually all skeletal muscles, not just in the hind limbs."

What was the dosage administered to induce infectivity? There is no eveidence that I am aware of that these same results have been replicated in larger or other species.

reader (the Second) said:
agman said:
Mike said:

What was the dosage administered to induce infectivity? There is no eveidence that I am aware of that these same results have been replicated in larger or other species.

CJD studies in Switzerland or Italy found detectable prions -- not in large amounts however -- in muscles in humans in humans dying of CJD in 3 out of 4. That is a finding of the past 18 months or so. There was no "dosage administered to induce infectivity" and these were "larger or other species." I've cited this several times. If you all are so fascinated by this, I suggest you begin reading the scientific literature which is quite accessible. Instead, I hear the same half-truths and myths on this site over and over -- which I believe may come from obsolete PR material on NCBA and other websites that I have encountered that I would call "pseudo-scientific". There is NO scientist that disputes that prions are found in blood and in muscle (as well as in bodily waste), although the amount MAY not be sufficient to transmit disease.

Did you read my question before you jumped to your unsubstantiated conclusion about my source of information? Has Dr Prusner replicated the results he obtained in mice in primates or larger animals? If so, what was the administered dosage to obtain those results in mice and primates. Valid questions deserve a valid answer. Yes he has, or no he has not at this time. Which is the correct answer? You can dispense with a lengthy dissertation.

agman said:
CJD studies in Switzerland or Italy found detectable prions -- not in large amounts however -- in muscles in humans in humans dying of CJD in 3 out of 4. That is a finding of the past 18 months or so. There was no "dosage administered to induce infectivity" and these were "larger or other species." I've cited this several times. If you all are so fascinated by this, I suggest you begin reading the scientific literature which is quite accessible. Instead, I hear the same half-truths and myths on this site over and over -- which I believe may come from obsolete PR material on NCBA and other websites that I have encountered that I would call "pseudo-scientific". There is NO scientist that disputes that prions are found in blood and in muscle (as well as in bodily waste), although the amount MAY not be sufficient to transmit disease.

Did you read my question before you jumped to your unsubstantiated conclusion about my source of information? Has Dr Prusner replicated the results he obtained in mice in primates or larger animals? If so, what was the administered dosage to obtain those results in mice and primates. Valid questions deserve a valid answer. Yes he has, or no he has not at this time. Which is the correct answer? You can dispense with a lengthy dissertation.

Gosh, Agman, I didn't realize you had trouble reading :roll: :roll:
You asked about larger animals and prions in muscle and I supplied you with the most relevant and widely quoted research findings. Be a jerk if you insist.

What you cited did not address my question. It is quite clear you cannot answer the simple questions I posed. I will go to a knowledgeable source for the answer. Your response was that of a jerk. I asked a simple and relevant question. What is wrong with that? If you do not know the answer just say so-no flame intended.

Latest posts