• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Public Speaking

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
We had our local 4H public speaking tonight and all my kids were in different age groups-first time ever. The three girls all won their age groups-my oldest daughter pretty much did a eulogy for my bay mare that we lost in January-(Dad had some trouble during this one). Any way Tyler didn't win intermediate-the little bugger said I had it memorized but I didn't want to have to say it again at districts lol. Those kids sure come up with some good speeches I think I like it as much as the show day-hairspray and cows don't mix to well in my books.

P1012415.jpg

Here's my oldest daughter-she teared up doing her speech but she's feeling better now.

Pretty girl your daughter! Its sooo hard losing a favorite horse not somthing you or the kids will get over soon,I know we've been there and our children 6 years later STILL talk about how much they miss Ranger! I loved the public speaking day, I was always amazed at the 4-Hers Topics and ALWAYS how brave I thought they were,I don't like talking in public but the kids they always seem so at ease.

Yeah I seem to have a house full of female orators for some reason-Megan won provincials one year and that was pretty cool-some very good speeches at those finals. When Ty was 4 he wanted to say a speech so I told him to go right ahead-up he went to the mike and started talking about his pet chicken-then he wasa mad he didn't win lol.

NR - Congratulations to your daughter. It takes a pretty special person to stand up in front of a group and summon the courage to speak openly and honestly about something that is close to the heart. But that is the mark of a winner.

I was a leader for 9 years, and can't say enough good things about 4H.

After my sons were grown up and looking for work, the skills they had developed in 4H were invaluable. Just having 4H on a resume can tip the scales in their favour with a lot of companies. All those interviews that 4H kids do for trips and scholarships and such are actually the only place I can think of where a young person has a chance to really learn how to conduct themselves at a job interview. I know of no other place where this is taught. One year I was one of the ones interviewing members for a major scholarship, and was amazed at how these 17 year olds could have made most experienced adults look shabby at an interview.

Add some public speaking, leadership, and the work ethic required to care and show for livestock, and you've got some first class young people that make you proud.

Kudos to the daughter, NR!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Our little school is so sports-minded that unless the kids are in 4-H, then they do not get the chance to participate in speech/debate activities...pretty sad...I think that kids really miss out on learning how to argue "peacably"

Ranchwife " I think that kids really miss out on learning how to argue "peacably""

Yea they would never learn that here on ranchers.

:wink: :cowboy:

It's a shame schools put sports ahead of things like speech and and the arts. If they are short on coming up with funding, you know what is gonna get cut.
Not many school athletes are going to become professional athletes but those other programs could serve a kid throughout his, or her, life.

I learned the most important part of orating a peaceful discussion is simply to say, "Yes Sweetie, anything you want."

:D :D :D :D :D

PPRM

I heartily agree about the benefits of 4H AND FFA.

We just had a regional FFA meet nearby and I was asked to help judge the "Sales" part of the meet. I couldn't believe how good these kids were. It would be really hard for a student to make a sales presentation, I think. One girl from Broadus was selling Mira-fount type waterers. Honestly, she was flawless. When she was done, both the other judge and I were ready to buy the tanks.

Only she didn't really sell them. :shock: :wink:

We felt kind of foolish and then we told her she should go apply for a sales job with that company.

It was very rewarding to judge those kids.

P1012417.jpg

Here's my middle daughter-she did a good speech about her great grandma-is it the same in the U.S. do you have to say a speech to be able to show your calf-maybe it's just an old club rule but it's a good one. I had a new 4H mom going-I told her we had an adult get up and do an impromptu speech to break the ice-she was getting pretty worked up about that lol.

P1012421.jpg

Last but not least here's my youngest daughter in the front row with her trophy-she did it her's on her hero-Haley Wickenheiser-and how she was going to play women's hockey in the Olympics just like her lol.

They are living proof that a runt stud on a thoroughbred mare will sometimes work lol. As for parentage testing my old hockey coach was watching my boy play he turned to me and said 'We don't need to DNA that little S.O.B.' lol.

Latest posts