• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pullin Bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
We pulled bulls this morning. Left the house a little after 6 and were back to the house by 10. Its 3 miles to the west end of the pasture, from the house, so to save time and horses we trailered the first mile or so, then had to cross the river.

pullinbulls004.jpg

pullinbulls002.jpg

Lisa surveying the situation. Winks, the horse she is riding, has never crossed it before, but he had no big concerns about it.

pullinbulls009.jpg

Most of the river isn't real deep.

pullinbulls007.jpg

After the crossing Lisa had to shut the gate, since I am in charge of photography.

pullinbulls013.jpg

Looking for a place to get up the hill.

pullinbulls015.jpg

pullinbulls018.jpg

View from the top.

pullinbulls019.jpg

A person can actually ride up this. BUT you can't be afraid of heights, and you have to trust your horse.

pullinbulls023.jpg

Found 1

pullinbulls025.jpg

The cows want to move to a different pasture. They have plenty of grass, but think its time. Made it tough to get bulls out the gate.

pullinbulls024.jpg

Lisa is after the last 2.

pullinbulls031.jpg

pullinbulls030.jpg

pullinbulls028.jpg

All 10 accounted for and heading down the road.

pullinbulls040.jpg

pullinbulls037.jpg

Wooooo......I really like your country.
Grass looks great, cattle look outstanding.
I like "Winks" for a horses name. He looks to be
pretty young. Glad he took the river okay.

Thanks for the pictures!
How hot was it that day?
We always go early when it's hot, too.

Too bad they are the wrong kind of bulls for us or you could just start heading them north. Ours are just going out next week.
Nice pics and nice bulls too.

Faster horses said:
Wooooo......I really like your country.
Grass looks great, cattle look outstanding.
I like "Winks" for a horses name. He looks to be
pretty young. Glad he took the river okay.

Thanks for the pictures!
How hot was it that day?
We always go early when it's hot, too.

Winks is short for Winky McCue, which is his papered name. We got him from a neighbor of ours, David Van Winkle. That is where Winky came from, and he goes back to Peter McCue.
Its cool here today. Only 83, and clouds rolling in. I AM LOVIN IT!!!!!!

RSL said:
Too bad they are the wrong kind of bulls for us or you could just start heading them north. Ours are just going out next week.

They are some really nice bulls. They are all Limmy, I think. I just summer the cows, and get to do all the work with them. If any thing causes problems, they don't come back the next year.

:? I just turned my last 3 out this morning. :D

Finally got the package of cows sorted from the PB hfrs so I could turn the Herefords out with the cows and Angus bull out with the hfrs. Had about 5 hfrs got back across the hiway last night. I think a few hfrs were sucking cows. I might have to bring them home for a weeks stay in the corral. :x

RSL said:

I was thinking the same thing, only ours have been out for 3 weeks and we've got 3 cripples already. Fightin' SOB's. :roll:

Have you had Winks long enough to know what his winter coat looks like?

I bought a good lookin' young blue roan mare from David quite a few years ago. In the winter, she had a beautiful white body coat, that looked like frost. Along with her black points, she was really quite striking. I never liked her as a horse though and sold her.

JF Ranch said:
Have you had Winks long enough to know what his winter coat looks like?

I bought a good lookin' young blue roan mare from David quite a few years ago. In the winter, she had a beautiful white body coat, that looked like frost. Along with her black points, she was really quite striking. I never liked her as a horse though and sold her.

We've had him since he was a weanling.

Winkie.jpg

That is what he looked like then. This is what he looked like in April.

Winks001.jpg

This was his first "live" critter to rope. Lisa had roped the dummy bunches with him before that.

Looks like you and Lisa had success pulling the bulls. The country is still green, despite a week of hundred degree temperatures. We got three tenths of an inch of rain last evening, which has brightened the hills and meadows this morning. Thanks for your photos.

Man, you guys gotta quit braggin about all the rain and green. We are dying down here!

That is one nice looking horse.

We got about 3/10ths too, between rain drops. didn't even get enough to settle the dust. I would go for a nice gentle, NO WIND rain of a half inch or so.

Thank you for the pictures LazyWP, great country, and the cattle look in good condition, nice to see some red bulls for a change.
Praying for all of you in the drought to get some meaningfull rain, I wish I could send you all some of this british weather for a while, I am developing webbed feet!
I see Weaver Mashonas is having to sell due to the drought, I hope some ranchers interested in the benefits of the breed will buy and continue the breeding program, some great easy care heat tolerant genetics in the herd.

Latest posts