• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pulling a calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
This heifer probably would have had her calf alright, eventually, but the Kosmo Kid and I were on hand, and she had gone quite awhile with no success. We had her in the barn anyway, because it was so cold outside, so we just put her in the headcatch and helped with her delivery.

Puttingonthechains.jpg

Putting on the chains
Thebestwaytoattachthechains.jpg

The best way to attach the chain
Abouttoseethelightofday.jpg

About to see the light of day
Newkidontheblock.jpg

New kid on the block
HiMom.jpg

Hi, Mom
Layoutofthecalvingbarn.jpg

Layout of the calving barn
KosmoKowboyKid.jpg

Kosmo Kowboy Kid

Soapweed- Have you every encased the chains in radiator hose? It's easier on the calves's leg skin. It takes a little bit longer to connect the chains, but they work very well.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS said:
Soapweed- Have you every encased the chains in radiator hose? It's easier on the calves's leg skin. It takes a little bit longer to connect the chains, but they work very well.

DOC HARRIS

We haven't ever tried that trick, DOC. Sounds like it would work. A local vet showed me how to do it this way quite a few years ago. His theory was that chains actually did less harm than straps, because blood could still flow in and around the steel. Straps are like a tourniquet, shutting off the circulation on a hard pull. One thing about the loop above the ankle with a half-hitch below the ankle, each location only receives half as much pressure. Since doing it this way, we've never had a calf that walks with their toes turned under because they hurt from getting pulled. Also, we've never broken any legs using this method.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
nice looking barn Soapweed... how big is it?

This barn is 64 feet by 48 feet. We have 8' x 10' stalls going along each side, and two rows of 8' x 10' stalls going up the middle. Guess that would make a total of 32 stalls, except that a couple are not used because they are in doorways, another is our portable calf-pulling unit, and one corner stall has small bales of hay piled up in it. There might only be about 28 working stalls in the barn. Everything is made from portable corral panels, so they can be used for other purposes at other times of the year. It is easier to clean out the barn when the panels are not in place.

We have another shed that is 80 feet by 30 feet, with 8' by 10' stalls going down each side of it also. Even our horse barn has quite a few box stalls rigged up in it. When necessary, we can put 64 pairs in individual box stalls. Last year, the weather was so nice that hardly any were put in the barns.

Good Looking and functional. Wouldn't expect anything else from you though.

I am surprised you're gonna let FH get away with trying to take one of your top hands. Must be thinkin it's about time to pay for college, so she can have him at that point?

Oh, here's to calving assist pens that never need using,

PPRM

Good Looking and functional. Wouldn't expect anything else from you though.

I am surprised you're gonna let FH get away with trying to take one of your top hands. Must be thinkin it's about time to pay for college, so she can have him at that point?

Oh, here's to calving assist pens that never need using,

PPRM

I do believe the picture's say it all,good job men,was yall using a puller or was the cosmo kid the puller :D :D .............good luck
PS.... Fasterhorses,I dont know if you can pay the cosmo kid better,looks like soapweed takes pretty good care of him :wink:
Good job Brock!

I hope no one thinks I was serious. It was meant as a pat on the back for Brock and that's how I happened to give it...in a smart remark.

I know he is a happy, healthy, well-adjusted, polite, responsible, nice looking, LOVED, young man with wonderful parents. He is one anyone would be proud to call 'son', which is a testament to his upbringing.

Wish we had one just like him.

FH,

We need tongue in cheek emoticons, LOL.....

BTW, Soap, good job on the pictures. They seriously could be used in an instructional How to deal....

PPRM

Faster horses said:
I hope no one thinks I was serious. It was meant as a pat on the back for Brock and that's how I happened to give it...in a smart remark.

I know he is a happy, healthy, well-adjusted, polite, responsible, nice looking, LOVED, young man with wonderful parents. He is one anyone would be proud to call 'son', which is a testament to his upbringing.

Wish we had one just like him.

I think every body knew you were just being complimentary fasterhorses,as was I ................good luck

Latest posts