• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pumping Liquid Protein

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3 M L & C

Reaction score
With it as dry as it is here looks like any winter feed is going to be less than stellar to say the least. Planted the forage sorghum into last summers wheat stubble and its about 18 inches tall curled up and turning brown. Probably going to bale up a pivot or two of milo stalks. I have fed milo stalks before that the cows ate up good and also fed some that they did not do so good. Thinking about rigging up the bale processor to spray the stalks when they come out so they will not waste so much and help on reducing the dust. What type of pump does a person have to have? I know a hydrolic would probably be best, but my little tractor doesn't have a spare scv for one. It there any electric that would work, or are they a no go in cold weather. I know an electric would be slow, just looking into different alleys.

I don't remember the place but they had a ad in the high plains journal and they make an adapter that turns one remote into two for hydraulic for liquid feed we use gas powered pumps they seem to work the best for us

Big Muddy rancher said:
What about running a pump with the floor chain if your processor has them. That way the pump would only be running when your feeding a bale? :?
Ya I thought of that. Mine is an older case and sometimes I rotate the tub in the opisite way if the bale gets stuck a little. Also depending on the feed type making it go different directions grinds it up more or less. Those hydro pumps don't take the stop and start without a relief into your tank on the tractor very well let alone run backwards.

I've thought bout doing something like this just using a small tank at the rear of the shredder with a big floodjet nozzle like they use on liquid floaters to regulate flow and cover the swath.
Can't see why you have to pump as long as the tank is higher than the discharge?
How many gallons/day will you use?

years ago a buddy got sticker shock when pricing one of them little d.c. fuel transfer pumps---bought 2 portable air tanks instead, plus one regulator.

Always had air with, 2 tanks would pump...er...blow off 100 plus gal diesel.

Might be an idea right there, if you have 12 volts to run a little cheapie compressor, then regulate tank psi, to control flow of the product. It would depend on the volume you need to apply, etc, but might be a reasonably priced system to use.
I'd a never thought of using air pressure, but that notion has merit.

I've been thinking about this. Why not run a John Blue piston pump off of you floor chain? Piston pumps don't care what direction they turn. Only problem would be you would need to make sure it can't plug up, 'cause they just keep building pressure. Kinda pricey, but will last forever, if you keep em serviced.

Depending on the brand of liquid, many have issues of thickening or freezing up when it gets cold. If that is the case, it won't matter much what kind of a pump you get.

At the end of the day, it will be easier & cheaper in the long run to either put the liquid out free choice, or, either treat the bales individually or grind them and treat the stack. I did a LOT of that this past spring, both ways.

You can let somebody else worry about the pump....but not every liquid dealer is set up to treat hay.

Haytrucker said:
Might be an idea right there, if you have 12 volts to run a little cheapie compressor, then regulate tank psi, to control flow of the product. It would depend on the volume you need to apply, etc, but might be a reasonably priced system to use.
I'd a never thought of using air pressure, but that notion has merit.

I believe in keeping stuff as simple as possible---but no simpler!

(ya, when I say stuff like that, the current wife points out who is 'simple'...)

So---envisioned making the air in the shop. Got my portable air tanks rigged up with female connections, little brass ball valve between that and the tank. Two males, screwed together, dangle---to fill tank, you plug in shop hose and turn valve on. Takes maybe a minute.

My old processor's got room to tarp strap a couple on. The regulator is for consistent delivery, plus keep from blowing liquid tank up. I bought one with a gauge (paint gun application) to put my pusher axle down, for maybe 30$. I control this with interlock switch outa a junkyard.

When I tried treating straw bales, think was aiming for 7%, by weight. So---if bales weigh 1,000#, maybe 7 gal of product? This stuff is heavy---

The valve, a guy'd want it spring loaded to turn off, so as not to run product on the ground. Since you got air, be easy rig up with piggyback can and air valve.

Feeding a few a day, couple air tanks would probably do it---more than that, might want some 'onboard' air. I'm envisioning maybe a fan type nozzle, suppose it'll take maybe 40 psi, doing a lot a guy might want a filter in front of it.

Jassy said:
Hubby rigged up this sprayer for liquid feed, and it works pretty good..

I was beginning to think you guys had dropped off the face of the earth. I saw Tom in town way last spring, but haven't seen either of you since then. Glad to see your pictures.

As far as pumps on the bale processor I'm wondering if a squeeze pump would work. I'm thinking of an old planter I used to have set up with a liquid fertilizer squeeze pump. Best I can remember it would have been ez to adapt to nearly anything to drive it, hydraulic or mechanical. The faster it turned the more it pumped. I don't believe running it backward would hurt any thing it would just pump air into the tank, but there may be something I am not remembering, that was several years back.

LazyWP that rig looks awesome that looks like it would work great. Mathis Imp. InWinner S.D. Or Valentine NE. has one on their Haybuster processors looks like it would work good, we built our own with a simple roller pump that works fine we put liquid on straw last year nd the cows would pass up second cutting alfalfa and go for the straw with liquid makes for some cheap good quality feed.

Latest posts