• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pure Country Update #4 - Hogs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PureCountry

Reaction score
We've been raising hogs for a few years now, on pasture and all natural of course. Not sure I've posted pics of them before, so here's a few.

First litter of the year, purebred Large Black sow crossed to a Berkshire boar gave us 10 little black bacon bits
2012-05-24_09_54_51.JPG

This girl we raised last year. Landrace x Tamworth cross bred to the Berkshire as well, and had 9. Pretty good for her first litter, although she came from a litter of 14
2012-05-19_09_33_39.JPG

They really are cute when they're little. ONLY, when they're little though.
2012-05-24_09_55_24.JPG

2012-05-24_11_21_37.JPG

The kids were impressed. Sows were not. The kids learnt quick when to recognize that Momma had enough, and wanted her babies back.
2012-05-25_16_59_06.JPG

Heah come de peeg. :lol:

I won't raise them anymore, they have too much personality developed by the time they are looking back at you through the crosshairs. :oops:

Thanks for these pics. I'd love to raise a litter of pigs someday. I could look at pictures and watch baby pigs playing all day long. I really like the spotted polland china pigs, I believe they are called.

yippers,,just had a litter of 10 here.less than a week old.it was a first experience to witness a birth for my kids.stayed up all nite with my daughter,she says it was an interesting experience.
i'll guess i'll have to find my camera and get them teens to help me post.--

love them old heritage hogs---the best to eat---got some for sale RA.will be coming to southern ia from the ozarks.

Fed out 2,000 to 3,000 head a year for about 15 years but all the packing houses got regulated out of business around here - - - if you have no market you can be great at raising hogs but if there is no money it gets old!

Latest posts