• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Purina Impact Pellets

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
I have some friends around here using these. These are for feeding out calves. They are a metabollic intake limieter that are mixed with Corn. I have several friends using them and this is what they describe to me.

Mix these with Corn and hay. It takes about two weeks to get them up to it, but you end up at a ration that is 85% corn and Pellets with 15% hay. It is fed free choice. Most guys are filling the bunks every 4-7 days. Cost of gain has been around $47-48/cwt. This is before any yardage charge. Also, Corn is spendier here in the Pacific Northwest. I think right now cracked corn is about $110/ton on truckload volumes. The calves finish in 65-75 days after being at full feed on the corn.

Here's some results. I have a friend that is getting 90% Choice and Prime on saleyard calves doing this. He is able to do this at home and spends a lot less time feeding under this system. That would make yardage costs a lot less! By being able to feed out at home, they are pocketing the yardage that is in excess of cost. They also have 25% less manure produced.

Anyway, as an ex feedlot guy, the prospect of doing it myself is always attractive. I know how busy it can get and feel like I will tend to manage it better myself,

PPRM

PPRM said:
I have some friends around here using these. These are for feeding out calves. They are a metabollic intake limieter that are mixed with Corn. I have several friends using them and this is what they describe to me.

Mix these with Corn and hay. It takes about two weeks to get them up to it, but you end up at a ration that is 85% corn and Pellets with 15% hay. It is fed free choice. Most guys are filling the bunks every 4-7 days. Cost of gain has been around $47-48/cwt. This is before any yardage charge. Also, Corn is spendier here in the Pacific Northwest. I think right now cracked corn is about $110/ton on truckload volumes. The calves finish in 65-75 days after being at full feed on the corn.

Here's some results. I have a friend that is getting 90% Choice and Prime on saleyard calves doing this. He is able to do this at home and spends a lot less time feeding under this system. That would make yardage costs a lot less! By being able to feed out at home, they are pocketing the yardage that is in excess of cost. They also have 25% less manure produced.

Anyway, as an ex feedlot guy, the prospect of doing it myself is always attractive. I know how busy it can get and feel like I will tend to manage it better myself,

PPRM

PPRM:

We are on what I call "The Purina Plan" here and love it. We have our bulls that we'll sell the first of March on Accuration---and have used it for 6 or 7 years--they do well on it, we do have problems limiting gains at times--maybe that's a good problem to have. We also finish some bulls that have found new careers as steers on it, and have had great results there too.

When Mr. TTB comes in from feeding I'll get our "data" using Accuration from him and post. We also feed a chelated mineral which we think helps with preventing ringworm and foot rot.

The worst part of the stuff is it stinks to high hell!!!

Cheers--

TTB

PPRM said:

PPRM

PPRM:

We are on what I call "The Purina Plan" here and love it. We have our bulls that we'll sell the first of March on Accuration---and have used it for 6 or 7 years--they do well on it, we do have problems limiting gains at times--maybe that's a good problem to have. We also finish some bulls that have found new careers as steers on Impact, and have had great results there too. As well we also develop our heifer calves on Accuration.

When Mr. TTB comes in from feeding I'll get our "data" using Accuration from him and post. We also feed a chelated mineral which we think helps with preventing ringworm and foot rot.

The worst part of the stuff is it stinks to high hell!!!

Cheers--

TTB

My local dealer, Northwest Farm Supply, has Mike Countryman doing outside sales. Mike worked at Mcgregor Feedlot in Wallula (now Simplot) and has a good knowledge of the practical end of Ranching/Feeding. When he first started this, he was a bit hesitant until he saw the cost of gain. One thing we talked about was the repairs feedlots are doing on feedtrucks vs. a mutaula friend doing this program that runs his Mixer every 4 days. The mutual friend feeds nimself and isn't always asking if we know any good feedtruck drivers, LOL

PPRM

PPRM, we have fed everything from calves to show and sale cattle with the Purina Impact Starter, and loved it(with the exception of one group of crep fed calves). If I understand you correctly the Purina product they are buying is the BIR 4 pellet? We have fed a couple groups of 6-12 month old heifers on the Accuration and corn, and they have never been able to limit the intake. We had one of the PH.d's from Texas come and look at everything and still could not figure it out. The heifers ended up weighing 1200lbs at weaning(way to heavy) and eating around 20 lbs a day with 80%Accuration. Needless to say there were some foundered heifers in the group. I WILL NEVER FEED ACCURATION AGAIN!!!!!!!!! However I have had great luck with all the other products. I hope this helps a little.

Not real sure which pellet it is, but the goal is to feed calves for the grid, not replacement hiefers on this deal. The 20 pounds sounds about right, I haven'y seen anyone have problems. One thing they learned early, if the calves get the runs on this after being up on feed, DON"T go with more hay. Hay dilutes the limiter and the calves will start eating too much corn.

PPRM

Latest posts