• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Purinia Accu-ration

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Seems like I have heard of several producers that are using this product are seeing a lot of hoofrot in the young cattle they are feeding it to.

Does anyone reading this forum have any information about it? Or why hoof rot would show up when fed this product?

We have fed the stuff before, and had a major intake problem. Could not get them to stop eating it, even at 75% Accu-ration. As far as the foot rot issue it's proably just a concidense, or prehaps a bad batch of corn, and thats just a shot in the dark.

I haven't heard much about the footrot deal. I do know that them cattle have a tendency to get long toes/bad feet. Alot of seedstock guys are feeding this stuff to their bull calves. In my opinion it is way too hot of feed for growing cattle. The formula is around 70-80% corn and it is free choice with fishmeal as a limiter. One guy quit feeding it to his bulls since he had too many complaints about the bad feet.

Maybe they are getting cut on frozen mud and ice around the feeder and get infected. A feed lot owner told me the other day that he has had some bloat trouble with the fish meal calves when he gets them home and on his feed. I had never heard that before.

FH,

I would anticipate bad foot problems like founder. I see it in corn fed animals. Maybe they are just calling that foot rot????

PPRM

Bad route how much corn is to much for developing bulls? Customers like to see three to five pound ADG, but hesitate when one is gaining two or two and a half. We have fed Accuration and seem to get along good. The foot rot deal hasn't happened here. I think the most important thing when feeding it is EXORCISE and the amount of room calves get to roam. Genetic influence also plays a big part, if you find a bull that has bad feet chances are you can look at the pedigree and trace it back.

Lazy Ace,

The main beef I have with accuration is that in most cases I've seen is that it puts on fat instead of muscle. 3 to 5 ADG on accuration is about the norm considering the amount of corn going into those animals. Gaining 3 to 5 on a high roughage diet is a much harder task but the ones that do make it are high quality animals. I think accuration has its place but I still believe it is not in developing bulls.

I have used accuration the last 2 years and have had no problems with it. My heifer calves gained 2.6 lb a day on it. They grew out good but were not fat. They were in a 60 acre pasture when they were on it so had plenty of room to exercise. I had them on accuration for 75-80 days then cut off replacement heifers and switched them over to a cow diet of winter grass, 2lb of cake and hay. The rest of the heifers were sold last year and this year sent to a feedlot for finishing. So far there have been no problems at the feedlot.

Bull calves that are grown out instead of being fattened with corn will have a more productive future. This is inarguable. I would not buy a bull that has been fed accuration after having done it.

Bad route

I agree with you and developing bulls on a high roughage ration. I still would like to find out what everyone considers to much grain for developing bulls? They say a 20% 80% mix is around a 52 mega cal diet. What about feeding silage? Our area normal corn is between 60 and 70 bushels (with some exceptions), but what about corn that was under irrigation and goes 200 bushel? I know it is considered roughage but how can that be the same as corn going bewteen 60 and 70? I am trying not to argue but just curious about different thoughts?

Thanks have a good one.
lazy ace

I would consider a 52 Mcal diet the upper end of what I would call ideal. With that said ther are a lot of variables that go with this. How long are they feed this, how old were they when they went on this, did they have acess to creep from day 1, and on and on. I would prefer that they not have much more than .3 backfat at a year and I want them eating grass as soon as possible in the Spring to acclimate them to a pasture so when turnout comes they don't go backwards.

WB

Thanks for your thoughts. Our bulls stay on it for about 120 days give or take a few. They don't have access to creep and the starting weight is around 670 lbs. We have found that their consumption peaks out around christmas and then they back down until sale day (first week in March). We take the feeders away about mid March and then mix a small amount of ground corn in the feed wagon so they harden in before delivery. Our ultrasound data for fat averages around .2 with the exception of one porker who usually is around .4. It sounds like you had bad experience with it? I was wandering what happened and what alternative feed you are using now.

Thanks again have a good one

Lazy Ace

I'm not a bull raiser so know little about it--but the fellow I've got several angus bulls from feeds his bull calves about like I do my replacement heifers...Calves in Feb/March-weans them in Nov. and runs them on pasture and free choice hay with about 2lbs of rolled barley/oats mixture a day...By the time breeding season comes around about June they are in the 1100 lb range- Probably put on about 2 lbs of weight per day-definitely not fat- but ready to do the job they are supposed to...

Any of those yearling coming two year old bulls that I keep over I feed the same way during the winter- just give them enough to maintain growth without getting hog fat...

Latest posts