• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Putting down an old mare, or thinking about it.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

DustDevil

Reaction score
I've been keeping a Paso Fino mare for my sister in law for several years. She was stress foundered before she got her , it was kind of s rescue. My brother and her moved to SD years back and they planned on taking her but she couldn't have made the trip so I continued to keep her for them and they've sent "child support". We just planned on letting her live out her days. She is happy as horses go, a sweet gentle disposition but she has a very hard time walking and I feed and hay her wherever she's standing. It's hard to decide to put her down, I had to put my old mare about 5 yrs ago but she was down and wadn't getting back up. A sad dilemma.

Always tough decision.

I look at it that we are responsible for them and if they are suffering it is the responsible thing to do.
We have 2 ponies here that my wife need to make a decision.

DustDevil said:
I've been keeping a Paso Fino mare for my sister in law for several years. She was stress foundered before she got her , it was kind of s rescue. My brother and her moved to SD years back and they planned on taking her but she couldn't have made the trip so I continued to keep her for them and they've sent "child support". We just planned on letting her live out her days. She is happy as horses go, a sweet gentle disposition but she has a very hard time walking and I feed and hay her wherever she's standing. It's hard to decide to put her down, I had to put my old mare about 5 yrs ago but she was down and wadn't getting back up. A sad dilemma.

There comes a time... :cry2:
It's so hard to do. Here in the North country, I know what I would do. Cold weather makes those situations much worse.
But still, she's showing you she is hurting, so I would do the same as if she were here. I love animals, especially horses,
but I am not into seeing how long something can live if their quality of life is compromised.

I hope this helps. Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks FH and Jodywy. It's done. She didn't suffer . She's buried next to my old mare, now. She hurt for way too long. She was getting worse so it was probably past time to do it. I appreciate the help.

Went to bury a horse one time, got there he was still alive, I put him down , But I cut his tail off and took it up to the cemetery and put in under my son's headstone. He had hung on it while we were on a pack trip in the high country. the trail was so steep it was easer to walk .

Sending thoughts of comfort your way Dust Devil. Never an easy thing to do. I have a few great horses buried on my place. My memories of long days in the saddle and each of their personalities brings a smile when I think about them. And now and then, a tear. But i'd much rather lose great horses than to never of been around them.

Jody,
Much love to y'all. What a grand tribute to a fine horse and a fine young man. I surely admire you and Sue.

Ugh, so hard to do. We've lost several, haven't had to put one down yet. Our stud horse will be 25 this April. Has arthritis but with medication is still doing well. Hopefully will at least get through this calving season if not longer.

Latest posts