• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Putting money where my mouth is means ‘no’ to A&W

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
http://www.producer.com/2013/10/putting-money-where-my-mouth-is-means-no-to-aw/#.Ulq6CnrBTsl.facebook

Putting money where my mouth is means 'no' to A&W

Posted Oct. 10th, 2013 by Kevin Hursh

Notice to A&W. You have lost my business. Even though you have rural restaurants that I've often patronized, I'll try my best to eat elsewhere from now on. 

Major players in the food business are increasingly making decisions that have no basis in science. 

A&W says their burgers are better because the beef has been produced without the use of hormones. 

Even if they have to get the beef from outside of Canada, it's going to come from hormone-free producers. 

This is a carefully calculated business decision. No doubt A&W will have to pay a small premium to source their beef, but they now have a new marketing tool to differentiate themselves from the other burger chains. They think they can gain market share and more than compensate for any extra costs. 

Their plan is predicated on keeping existing customers and gaining new ones. Well, this existing customer is leaving. Maybe if enough like-minded people did the same, food suppliers would rethink their attacks on science.

The President's Choice line of products from Galen Weston is also on my try not to buy list. It's the same reason that I balk at organic and all-natural products, although at least an organic label has some established standards.

Imagine two virtually identical-looking food products side by side in the grocery store. They are the same price, but one is labelled organic and one is not. Which one do you buy? I buy the non-organic. In fact, I'd even pay more for non-organic.

Organic doesn't necessarily mean local. It isn't any safer, as numerous organic food recalls have proven. It may or may not have a lower carbon footprint. And it's deceitful because the label implies a product that's safer and better for the environment. 

And then there's the GMO issue. While visiting the left coast (B.C.) for a conference, we had breakfast at a small resort café. The tomato slice had green streaks. The manager explained that this was an heirloom variety, not genetically modified like regular tomatoes you see in the store. 

I didn't bother telling him that there are no genetically modified tomatoes in the marketplace, nor that regular plant breeding has worked to improve plant varieties for hundreds of years.

The non-GMO crowd is horribly misinformed and they don't want to be confused by the facts. The fight to get GMO foods labelled isn't about choice. It's a way to bash science.

Folks that want their foods organic and GMO free tend to be the same folks who think raw unpasteurized milk has to be better for you.

Choice is good and everyone is entitled to their opinions, but it really irks me when food promotion campaigns spread falsehoods. 

Food wasn't safer 10 or 20 or 30 years ago. Many of those old-time production practices had inherent health dangers.

And whether it's a hormone, an antibiotic, a pesticide or a genetic modification, tens of millions of dollars are spent on extensive scientific scrutiny before anything is approved for the marketplace.

Our society faces important food-related issues. Many of us eat too much and a lot of it is junk. As far as safety goes, the biggest risk comes from how foods are stored and prepared in the home. 

All-natural, hormone-free, organic and non-GMO are distractions from the real issues.

These nonsensical food offerings are becoming more mainstream, but I'm going to make a conscious effort to avoid them. Want to join me?

Kevin Hursh is an agricultural journalist, consultant and farmer. He can be reached by e-mail

I never really considered anything Kevin writes but totally disagree with this having been in the hospitals lots over the last twenty years I believe these hormones and other additives are lots of problems of cancer and health conditions.He is a grain farmer and thinks mostly of the almighty dollar I believe

Looks like there's way more money to be made treating cancer, than there is in preventing it.

And it looks--to me---like there's way more cancer than there was when I was growing up.

I was idly reading the label on the 'creamer' I was addicted to---stuff keeps forever and is made in china. Good ol' country cream would go bad in a week. Gotta wonder which one's best for ya'

Nothing will change for A&W, I'll bet 99% of the cull cows that go through the auction ring and 100% of the bulls have never had any growth hormones.

When I first heard of this I thought it's just a marketing ploy and they were the first ones that thought of it.

Having a Grandma that had breast cancer, and Aunt that had leakemia, another Aunt that had breast cancer, a Cousin that had breast cancer, and my Mom that had colon cancer and is now battling pancreatic cancer, I would still say "Prove it" if your gonna blame it on hormone use and other additives use in beef production. If you think the hormone use in beef is substantial go look up the naturally occuring levels of hormones in many things that are at way higher levels than hormone use in beef.

And yes there seems to be way more cancer now, but that is only because now we have the technology to find it and treat it. In the past people died and they called it natural causes. They have come along way in treating cancer, the only one that i fore mentioned that passed away due to there cancer was my Grandma and that was in the 80s, currently my mom has been battling pancreatic cancer that spread to her liver now for a year in November and her last CTscan showed no sign of cancer and her blood work is in the normal range, so we keep praying it stays there and she can keep tolerating the chemotherapy.

For those of you the are "all-natural" good for you but until you "prove" that what I am doing today, I will still be using implants in my steers and using antibiotics to treat sick animals. I have always wondered what do you "all-natural" producers do when an animal gets pnemonia, foot rot, pinkeye, etc, let them suffer and die?? or use todays modern day technology and techniques and get them back to health.

eatbeef---if you're talking to me, you're preaching to the choir---I use ralgro. and I doctor. But---on about anything canned, in bottles, etc---I've started reading labels----
and trying to start eating more fresh and knowing the source when I can

also quite using tobacco---Carolina hunters came out for yrs, tobacco growers. they'd almost all quit---ones that hadn't had their private stash in their garden.

I asked "why? tobacco a carcinogenic?" Hell--it ain't that---we know the chemicals we're putting on===we spray about 15 times---several before it even comes outa the ground!

eatbeef said:
For those of you the are "all-natural" good for you but until you "prove" that what I am doing today, I will still be using implants in my steers and using antibiotics to treat sick animals. I have always wondered what do you "all-natural" producers do when an animal gets pnemonia, foot rot, pinkeye, etc, let them suffer and die?? or use todays modern day technology and techniques and get them back to health.

When an animal gets sick they are they treated humanely and doctored with the appropriate antibiotics. The doctored animal gets a yellow ear tag in the right ear to identify them as one that was treated and can be removed from a lot to be sold as "all-natural". The treated animal is marketed as commercial. I have no idea what goes on in an "organic" operation.

I've seen the hormone results from muscle cuts of beef. The implanted vs. the natural hormone levels were virtually the same. The implanted results were slightly higher but not enough higher to cause any concern in my mind.

http://beefmyths.org/beefmyths/cattlegrowthhormones/
the following taken from the above link
Note: 3-ounce serving of beef from a steer treated with growth promotants contains 1.9 nanograms of estrogen.

Note: 3-ounce serving of beef from a steer raised without growth promotants, such as certified organic beef contains 1.3 nanograms of estrogen.

The following rant is not directed at anyone here.

The one thing that really puts a burr under my saddle, is this sanctimonious, pat yourself on the back, my way is the best, I'm morally superior attitude. :mad: In the short while that this country is still free... raise the kind of cattle you want to, the way you want to, and market them to whom you want to and allow me the privilege to do the same.

Sorry, rant mode off. I guess I'm just getting old crotchety at the age of 39, but it's been one he$$ of a year.

Latest posts