• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question about feed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Dreamin Big

Reaction score
Anybody ever use this? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Its called Colley feed mix, it contains peanuts, oats, soy hull pellets, cereal ( cheerios and fruit loops), corn gluten pellets, and dried distillers grain. 16% protein, 5% fat, 12% fiber.

Thanks

I should have Explained sorry about that. Was'nt thinking.The Price is just over 15$ a hundred. I usually like to creep my Fall calves along a little. I also usually have some stocker calves that I feed through the winter. Iwas just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how this would work. Or if it is too much

It doesnt have any limiter in it. thats one of my concerns, if the cheaper feed will off set the labor of feeding a measured amout everyday. i have been reading some on the internet, and most say that the ceral has way more sugar than corn. i think i might just stay with what i have been using. Im not educated enough on this type of thing.

If there is no limiter, and you are feeding free choice those big calves can
get over-eating disease and/or possibly bloat. The feedlots give the over-eating shot every 30 days and that's on a limited ration.
There are only a couple of over-eating vaccines that are really good. One is Vision 7 or 8 and the other I can't recall as we always used Vision products.

If limit feeding them is not possible I'd not take a chance on the feed you are asking about.
Cheap feed gets real spendy if you lose one of those pricey calves. FWIW.

Here's a good line to remember, "It's hard to manage what you can't measure."
Good Luck!

I can't see using a feed with limiter. It raises the cost and there is no better time to evaluate calves when you feed them daily. I didn't know there was any other way than daily feeding. Thats the thing about daily feeding, you get to see if they are all eating.

Larrry said:
I can't see using a feed with limiter. It raises the cost and there is no better time to evaluate calves when you feed them daily. I didn't know there was any other way than daily feeding. Thats the thing about daily feeding, you get to see if they are all eating.

:agree:

But many producers don't seem to want to take the time to do that,
hence problems develop. We had a customer that fed his calves free-
choice oats (no limitere) in creep feeders and he lost several to over-eating. He had vaccinated them, but with a cheap vaccine that didn't work well. I was there when the vet told him there were only two vaccines that were effective with over-eating. And he also told him the feedlots vaccinate for it every 30 days as he was doing a post-mortem on a dead calf. Of course it's always the biggest ones that get it, because they have the best appetite.

When you feed daily you can measure what you are feeding and manage
the feed better... :D

Faster horses said:
Larrry said:

:agree:

And he also told him the feedlots vaccinate for it every 30 days as he was doing a post-mortem on a dea0d calf. Of course it's always the biggest ones that get it, because they have the best appetite.

never heard of feedlots vaccinating every 30 days with a clostridial vaccine. I don't think the vacc has anything really to do with controlling animal intake. I've been wrong before but overeating shot has become a nickname for the clostridial vacc. I'd be scared of that vets advice.

Dreamin Big said:
It doesnt have any limiter in it. thats one of my concerns, if the cheaper feed will off set the labor of feeding a measured amout everyday. i have been reading some on the internet, and most say that the ceral has way more sugar than corn. i think i might just stay with what i have been using. Im not educated enough on this type of thing.

I would use it in a heartbeat, of course RA, Leanin H, and I all have such large numbers, that it takes multiple semi loads per day to keep up with the consumption. Seriously, I would feed it! Start out slow, and build them up to where you can free choice it. I know lots of guys that have fed stuff like that, or potato chips, and get along great. Just go slow and get them used to eating it.

Thank you all for the replys. I really appreciate and need the advice. I am going to try it. I may not get it to free choice, but I could really use the break in the price.

it contains peanuts, oats, soy hull pellets, cereal ( cheerios and fruit loops), corn gluten pellets, and dried distillers grain. 16% protein, 5% fat, 12% fiber.

I don't see anything that would make this bad feed. You do know a lot of the commercial beef feed has elevator floor sweepings in it.

Ya but what is the consitancy of it. If everything in it is ground up and its like powder (which is what I have found on blended mixed up stuff like this)you might have to blend it with something or if it gets a little wet and turns into concrete. I'm not expert it might be great, but its cheap for a reason.

They wouldn't grind it, but by the time cereal gets moved around a couple times and blended in im sure its pretty much powder. There is plenty of powder in the bottom of the box, just think how much more there would be by the time it made it into this blend. By the analasis its not bad, but say he wants to feed it free choice from some feeder and all the powder settles out and gets wet in the bottom somehow, then you have a problem. Have you ever had your kids not finish their cereal? :D :D :D

Latest posts