• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question about Fence Posts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cedardell

Reaction score
We are rebuilding some of our feedlot fence and I decided to use wolmanized corner posts set in concrete in a double brace system. My neighbor saw what I was doing and says concrete causes wolmanized posts to rot. (some kind of chemical reaction) Have any of you out there had any trouble setting wolmanized posts in concrete?

cedardell said:
We are rebuilding some of our feedlot fence and I decided to use wolmanized corner posts set in concrete in a double brace system. My neighbor saw what I was doing and says concrete causes wolmanized posts to rot. (some kind of chemical reaction) Have any of you out there had any trouble setting wolmanized posts in concrete?

My dad used to wrap posts with galvanized sheet metal or aluminum and nail it to the posts when setting in concrete. I suppose that was the reason. The metal would be above the concrete level about a foot. Have seen neighbors coat the bottom of the posts in tar also. Never asked why though, I just thought it was to keep the post from rotting at ground level.

hard to beat oil field pipe and sucker rod....... it lasts longer than you or I will.

We just rebuilt our working pens....and I shopped around pricing all the different options...and sucker rod was the most economical..$5 for 25 ft joints can't beat that pipes kinda high dollar..but i got lucky and found 3 1/2 inch joints precut to 9 and 10 feet for 8.00 each. We only got about half of it done..rest is still the old wood fence that was build in the fifty's by hubby's grandad. but got all the werkin parts redone.

Sucker Rod is great, but people who sell it in South Dakota are sure proud of it!!! It's cheaper here in Texas! But, like Jigs said it will last longer than anything. Although with sucker rod the only downfall I've seen is if you don't space it small enough at the bottom of your pens, calves tend to slip through it like a greased hog! Kinda like a mink or a coon, if they can get their head through the rest of them will fit, especially the way it has some pliability and moves. We've also got some pens made of Guard Rail....but when you have a mad bull or cow or wife or something after you its sure hard to climb, especially if its wet! I'm not married, but a lot of you are and i'm sure your wives chase you with branding irons around the corals!!!!

TXTibbs

After 26 years of marraige I have learned to speak softly and sweetly to my darlin' when she has anything in her hands that can cause me any harm! :wink:

only problem I have seen with pipe/suckerrod is people weld them with 6013 rod. you MUST go with a 7018 and DC reverse polarity or the welds pop in cold weather.

having your wife chase you with a weapon is better than getting "the look" and wondering when you are going to pay for your mistake!

LOL @ "the look"...if you ask hubby..he'd swear I"mma professional "looker" (the look..keeps you guys on yer toes)

And to keep sucker rod from poppin the weld..we put keepers on each one welded to the post...and yes....calves can slip out....before our next working..there WILL be two more rounds of sucker rod put up on the lower half...luckily we didn't have any escape totally..but did have some that went thru back to mama in the other part of working pens.

Latest posts