• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question about FFA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MsSage

Reaction score
I was looking at the FFA site to get some lesson plans. Every student was "dressed" in official dress. Do they still require that for shows and events?
hmmm wondering if I would be able to get Kaitlyn in that uniform.

yes.
http://www.ffa.org/students/html/chap_official_dress.html

I will say though, it bothers me that girls are supposed to wear skirts. A lot of girls feel very uncomfortable in skirts...
Oh, and apparently boots are a no-no, but most of the boys I know wear black boots with their official outfit.

No, not all FFA events require the uniform. Having just left three major shows, there were more kids dressed in nice shirts and jeans than there were those wearing the FFA full uniform. There were those that had on the full dress, and those that had on jeans with the jacket. The FFA uniform, (at least in our part of the world) is mostly used when they do the speaking contests, beef judging, stuff like that. Ours are required to wear them then, and to our end of the year awards ceremony. Our kids durin judgin have matching shirts that just have our school name on them and say Ag Mechanics.
And the girls can wear black dress slacks if they want to instead of a skirt.

No, not all FFA events require the uniform.

Therefore, first impressions are crucial, and that involves the way we dress. ALL FFA members are required to wear official dress while participating in official activities

So local chapters can decide what is an official event?

No that's not what I meant. None of these shows are put on by the FFA organizations, but it is FFA kids that are participating, it's optional at the Major shows. When they go to FFA things they do wear their uniforms. But I was meaning just because they are representing their FFA Chapter at different events, they don't ALWAYS hafta wear the uniform.

When i was in FFA in high school we had to wear official dress to all FFA activities. Girls in FFA could wear the black pants the same as boys and boots as long as black were fine too. It's a good organization in my mind i have very good memories of being a member. I think the dress code is a good thing too puts everyone on the same level and it instills rules right beginning with what is appropriate and what isn't to wear.

MsSage,

Another good site to find lesson plans, particularly power point presentations is glenroseffa.org. Lessons are submitted from ag teachers all over the country. There are animal and plant science, leadership, and ag mechanics sections, along with a few others. Sure is a good resource to have around.

In Sask we have a group called Ag in the Classroom. Each summer some teachers go on a Tour and learn about another area of Agriculture.They then write a section up for the cirriculum. A couple years ago we hosted a day of the 5 day tour of teachers learning about the ranching industry and Native Prairie Biodiversity.

Thanks koj that is a AWSOME site. Tons of lesson plans.
BMR i just recieved my Ag in the classroom for 5th grade for NC hmmmmm its ALL about plants or pigs. Not very user friendly and very outdated.
Got in touch with one of the FFA teachers in charlotte LOL yeap we got one well really 2 can you believe. She is goign to get together soem info for me.

Ms. Sage here in Nebraska is a program where ranchers adopt a city school class and send pictures and write about their days like pen pals. I'm not sure of the name of the program but some of the people I know do it. It's as much fun for the ranchers trying to share their way of life and send interesting things to the kids as I think it is for the classes receiving the letters.

Psst in my opinion from the forum Soapweed could send some good pics and I bet he can write too!

CattleRme its called Provide pals. What I was told there are too many classrooms and not enough providers.
I am sure there are quite a few who could do a great job writting to classrooms. You dont have to be a "writer" just someone who can explain simply and have enough care in you to want to help.
Yes your right you get back more than you give. I wish more would see they are good enough to write letters to a class. Kids want to know adults care about them. To a kid writing a email to them is a BIG deal.

Sorry I will get off my soapbox today.

Latest posts