• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question about our tractor. . . .

Help Support Ranchers.net:

heluvaranch

Reaction score
We have a Case 885 that the four wheel drive has apparently quit working. I havent had a chance to take a look at it but plan to this weekend, and was curious if anyone has had this problem with a case 885. We have had it for about a year and a half and had no problems until now. We are still able to use it but it is pretty tough to get around in the mud without the extra traction. Any ideas???

Thanks
Ren

We have a CIH685 that has given us a few similar problems occasionally and fortunately, it was never too serious. Like BMr, a couple of times it was just a matter of reattaching the solenoid wire at the back of the FWD drive train. It seems to be in a fairly exposed place and we do use our tractor in the bush a bit so it has gotten torn off on brush.

We have also had to replace the splined coupler right behind the front differential a couple of times. That cost about $150 +/- for the coupler and about 1/2 hr. to change it. Maybe 1 hr. In the winter! :wink:

The last time we changed it, I thought we might have to replace the input shaft into the front differential. Ow. Ow ow ow ow ouch. That was going to be almost 3 grand. But we discovered that the bushings that the front axle rocks on were worn badly and that was allowing the front axle to tip backward and forward enough that it was ripping the splines out of the coupler.

I guess those grease fittings on the axle bushings are there for a reason. :oops: :oops: :oops:

The trick is to take the shield off to expose the drive shaft and try to see where the slippage is. If it is the front splined couple, it will be hard to see whether the input shaft is turning because the coupler runs so close to the differential housing. Don't drive over yourself or somebody else when doing all this!!!!

Maybe the best and safest way to check the couplers is to just take them off and do a visual. It is not a really big job, just remove the shield and pull the 4 bolts out of both couplers and slide the shaft endways far enough to drop one end out and then slide it the other way to get it off the other end. Presto.

Or in our cold, wintery weather it would be more like preeeeeeeessssssssstttoooooo.

miocene said:
hey ive seen gcreeksrch.equipment over the years he knows all about operator abuse or as he calls it torture testing :lol: :)

I always figured you Canadians were close but holy cow! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I hope your eyes weren't permanently damaged and your spirit destroyed! Hopefully a good shrink can help ya overcome any longterm issues ya still carry with ya! Now as far as "operator abuse", we all would rather not think about it! :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :???:

leanin' H said:
miocene said:
hey ive seen gcreeksrch.equipment over the years he knows all about operator abuse or as he calls it torture testing :lol: :)

I always figured you Canadians were close but holy cow! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I hope your eyes weren't permanently damaged and your spirit destroyed! Hopefully a good shrink can help ya overcome any longterm issues ya still carry with ya! Now as far as "operator abuse", we all would rather not think about it! :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :???:

A few dents and scratches are understandable with hunting equipment H. :D

I have had a DL for 32 years now and have only totaled a vehicle by owning it too long.

I hope I haven't tempted fate with that statement. :???:

gcreekrch said:
leanin' H said:
miocene said:

I have had a DL for 32 years now and have only totaled a vehicle by owning it too long.

Whew! Now i get it! Yall are talking about Gcreek's farm "Equipment"!
:oops:
Glad to know your still able to get around at your age! :wink:

leanin' H said:
gcreekrch said:
leanin' H said:

Whew! Now i get it! Yall are talking about Gcreek's farm "Equipment"!
:oops:
Glad to know your still able to get around at your age! :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Boy, was I slow last night. :oops:
Must be the drudgery of hauling hay.
Want a job H?

Latest posts