• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

question about pellet/corn stove inserts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cutterone

Reaction score
We have a pellet stove in the den and a wood burning insert in the fireplace. We have really liked the pellet stove and have been thinking about replacing the insert with a pellet/corn insert. I'm a little tired of splitting wood (the pellet stove really spoils you), the ash removal, and the wood insert just doesn't seem to put off the same amount of heat.
Has anyone tried one?

I Have never used one but here is a web site that may answer some of your question. http://burncorn.cas.psu.edu/

I have this one.

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Pellet_Burning/Pellet_Model.asp?f=1200I

When I first bought one I bought the Castile model. I traded it in on the Classic Bay 1200 when they finally got more in stock. It cost quite a bit for the upgrade but I'm sure glad I did it. The 1200 holds more pellets, runs quieter and puts out more heat than the Castile.

They make battery backups for them I'd like to get some day. The Mt. Vernon insert sounds interesting. I think it runs on batteries that are charged with a 110 outlet. If the electricity goes out you can still heat for awhile. The Mt Vernon can also light corn so you can run 100% corn. Mine will burn corn but can't light it so if I mix with wood pellets and corn it works. Or I can run 100% corn if I start it with pellets and then run it wide open so it doesn't have to restart. Corn cost as much as wood pellets here anyway so I just burn pellets.

I had a Fisher fireplace insert before I got the pellet stove. I had a bad chimney fire in our old brick chimney that scared the heck out of me. That's when we decided to go with a pellet stove. I think pellet stoves are safer. It is nice to just put a bag of pellets in and set the thermostat. The old wood stove was either to hot or to cold it seemed like. The pellet stove circulates heat around the house better also. Another benefit I like is waking up to a warm house.

I have had a corn/pellet furnace for the last 2 years. This is a furnace; not a stove.
Max output is 165K BTU's. Lots of heat for this old 2 story square farm house built in 1913.
It's a little work; BUT it's nice to come home to a 72 F house.
Ash amounts to two 5 gal buckets every 10 days.
Hopper holds 12-14 bushels. Models for either forced air or boiler.
I had been cuttin/splittin' wood for the last 15 years. I'm a gettin' a little older.

I decided on the A-Maizing Heat. Web address; www(at)cornheat(dot)com
Factory is in Pella, Iowa.
I bought 1 bag of pellets to start fires 2 years ago; still have 1/4 of the same bag left.
Eff rating of the furnace is 83-85%. UL approved.
Cost usually around $4,000 as compared to an LP furnace ($1,200-1,500). LP has gone from $.75 (2 years ago) to $1.95 this year.

For the month of Dec. , I averaged 2.2 bu / day.

This is a rough idea. Normally, I burn rejected seed corn ( corn that won't meet specs due to bad germ rates). I buy it for a dollar a bag.
Month of Dec., I used 80 bags. (ave 48 lb/bag.)

I am not a dealer; just a very satisfied customer. J&S

Latest posts