• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question About Taxes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cedardell

Reaction score
My tax man won't let me deduct the cost of care and purchase of dogs and horses even though I use them in my cattle operation. I was wondering if any of you we're treated differently? It only seems fair to me that if I can't deduct the cost of feed and upkeep that I shouldn't have to report income from them.

I run a wedding carriage service on the side. I use my black percherons in that business. I deduct the cost of those horses, I even depreciate the horses. Floyd's right get a new accountant.

I wish getting a new accountant would fix the property taxes around here- - - - when they wanted a new high school they anounced they would increase the taxes about 10%

Mine went fron $2,300 every 6 months ( on 200 acres ) to $5,200 every 6 months. Not the 10% I was expecting.

I have to clear $200.00 per week above all other taxes just to pay my property taxes.

Many people have lost their property as the taxes went so high they are higher than the mortage payments.

Starting next year we are getting reform - - - Personal homes will be capped at 1% rental property capped at 1.5% and commercial ( including farms and ranches ) capped at 3% - - - -still way to high but a little better

Invite your accountant out to help you move cows and make him run around and do the dogs work. See if he still thinks they aren't working for you. :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Invite your accountant out to help you move cows and make him run around and do the dogs work. See if he still thinks they aren't working for you. :lol:

I like your idea . . . :)

We are like Mike on this. Dogs and Horses are under general livestock expenses. Invite you accountant, banker, lawyer and any other professional that you deal with on a round up or drive. Do what you can to make it a 2 day event preferable in inclement conditions. Use a bottomless tent in your cow camp and cook over an open fire. Sounds like your accountant needs some education.

Is your tax man really an accountant? Sounds like he might be one of those seasonal idiots that do returns to get some people EITC payments, and then charge dearly for a loan with first dibbs on their "refund" check as collatoral.

Latest posts