• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question for bow hunters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cert

Reaction score
I have a 150 lb draw Horton Super mag crossbow. Shooting 100 grain broadheads on aluminum arrows. Thinking that with the lighter draw the lighter broadhead and arrows will benifit me.

My question is: Have any of you used the expanding broadheads? Do they shoot any different? What about the difference between 2 blades and 3?
The ones I have are 2 blade "sniper" brand expandable. inch and 3/8 I think but not sure.
Buddy of mine runs a check station and has seen a couple deer come thru that was taken down with the expandable broadheads. He said they definately didn't have to track very far if at all.

Cert if I were you I'd stick to one piece arrowheads-Montec G5's are awesome-Ty's shot three deer already with them this fall and they work great. My neighbor shot a big bear too-went through both shoulders and passed right through-we've tried expandables and they just don't seem to work as good if your hitting any bone. Expandables might be a bit more accurate but not always.

ditto that NR, I have seen more game killed with one piece broadheads and most guys I have around here say the same thing.

Thanks guys. Does makes sence that the expandables may collapse when they hit a shoulder.

Got the bow sighted in. Thought I'd share the results.

2 arrows here. Dead center on each other. Should have walked up and pulled the first one out before I shot again. Ruined 2 arrows but it is kinda neat.

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

Don't they call that 'robinhooding' or something :p ? Cool. Hubby's comment was "are crossbows legal there"? I said they must be :wink:

Nicky said:
Hubby's comment was "are crossbows legal there"? I said they must be :wink:

Yep. Completely legal in Ohio. I can't draw the compound and hold it steady till I get the shot off.

I think expandables suck! the 3 blade heads are the best I have found Thunderhead 100Gr and shoot them in the front sholder and they drop in their tracks

Latest posts