• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question for BSE tester

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ron, please remember this...there are more people that read this board, but never post, looking for information. We are fortunate to have someone involved in developing a test that will help resolve this BSE dilemma for ALL cattle producers posting here. I'm sure I speak for the majority in saying, "THANK YOU and please continue to keep us informed!"

Tim doesn't seem to understand the capitalistic system...
Entrepreneurs invest there money to develop a product or service. If that product or service is deemed by the intended consumer base to have merit, then the entrepreneurs have the chance to recoup their investment and MAKE A PROFIT! That is the American dream...the fuel that powers the strongest and longest lasting economies know to the world.

It is the consumer that implies that our product is unsafe...be it BSE or saturated fats or E.coli. Until we are able to deal with these issue effectively AND convincingly, consumers aren't going to consumer more and spend more for beef!

Tim -
Contrary to the spin you girls are trying to put on this, I have no problem with Ron or his test making money. What I do have a problem with, is good old Ronnie-baby implying that my product is unsafe unless it is tested with his product.

Lots of spin, or lots of perception I guess Tim. I do not agree with Ron when he uses the word infection and goes on about feed transmission, and don't agree with old Cameron Pallette when he talks that way either, but BSE is an economic marketing issue, and in this case some of those who are not in full agreement are going to have to work together to get us back on track.

Someday - Ron's research will show a further link between TSE's and metal contamination, --- a day I can wait for and look forward to. But I can't wait to market my cattle for a profit. That will not happen until we open some markets and create some demand for our product. BSE testing will open markets and screw with the captive supply situation that has shifted every cent of profit from the producer to those further up the chain. I only wish old Ron had been working on this project 10 years ago.

TimH wrote:

Contrary to the spin you girls are trying to put on this, I have no problem with Ron or his test making money. What I do have a problem with, is good old Ronnie-baby implying that my product is unsafe unless it is tested with his product.
That is fear-mongering and that is how a bottom-feeder turns a profit.
Savvy??

Not only does this guy give me a hard time regarding profits but calls me a "Bottom-feeder." Now he says it is ok to make a profit but it is not ok to imply that his herd is contaminated with BSE.

I get it Timh. But hear this.

I am not convinced that all cattle are carrying PrPsc (Sorry rkaiser for any prior & confusing use of the words) in fact, I am convinced that only a very small percentage of the national herds are carrying the deadly prion. The problem is as mentioned many times - the rest of the world sees only that Canadian Beef is a potential risk and we need to show the world that the beef going to market is not only tested but proven to be safe.

So if my wanting to test all cattle to show that they are free of BSE makes me a "bottom-feeder" then I guess I will gladly feed on the bottom of whatever until I can show it. So TimH - deal with that but try to keep your insults to yourself.

One thought that did come to mind Timmyboy was that when (not if) our test is accepted by the OIC, the USDA and the CFIA (confidence is high) then we can make darn sure that none of your cattle are tested. Will that make you happy to know that we can do that for you. That way Tim, you will have nothing to worry about and you can sit on your porch at night knowing that none of your herd have been tested and this old bottom-feeder has not made any money off your sorry backside!

But then, who would want to buy your product Timmyboy - who??

TimH, one last time. Keep your stupid remarks about where Sandhusker's nose is or where I do my feeding to yourself. If you want to be the consumate asshole, keep at it - you are doing a great job. I am here to share information and to engage in honest and open debate on a topic of importance to all here (except you obviously). Why are you here Tim? Other than to insult and spew rhetoric?? Why Tim??

BSEtester wrote;
One thought that did come to mind Timmyboy was that when (not if) our test is accepted by the OIC, the USDA and the CFIA (confidence is high) then we can make darn sure that none of your cattle are tested. Will that make you happy to know that we can do that for you. That way Tim, you will have nothing to worry about and you can sit on your porch at night knowing that none of your herd have been tested and this old bottom-feeder has not made any money off your sorry backside!

Mrs.Greg wrote:
I'm just wondering...Is this a threat????????????????I thought you and your test is supposed to be reputable,now your threatening cattlemen on who can and can't use your test?????????

Mrs.Greg, Tim has not been fair With Ron , Poor ethics on his part. Everyone in the world that is a cattleman in countries affected by BSE will welcome a herd live test. I sure do as I don't want some Young family eating My Grass Fed BEEF 20 years down the road haveing CJD problems.
We have Country of Origin laws coming in Sept. with audit trails back to the farm of origin and with Mandatory records.

PORKER said:
Mrs.Greg, Tim has not been fair With Ron , Poor ethics on his part. Everyone in the world that is a cattleman in countries affected by BSE will welcome a herd live test. I sure do as I don't want some Young family eating My Grass Fed BEEF 20 years down the road haveing CJD problems.
We have Country of Origin laws coming in Sept. with audit trails back to the farm of origin and with Mandatory records.
I don't nessasarily feel Tims the one in this dispute thats lacking ethics. Tim said he has no problam with live testing,I don't believe any cattleman really does. Tims issue was the fact its implied our product is unsafe without the live test.

Our children grandchildren,family,friends are eating the product we're raising,contrary to whats believed safty is numero uno in our minds.I believe thats true in the whole North American cattle business. Its ridiculous we chose to fight each other instead of working together to make our herds as safe as possible.....bsetester isn't in this for the same reason we are,and THAT is Tims point :!: :!:

bse-tester said:
TimH wrote:

That is fear-mongering and that is how a bottom-feeder turns a profit.
Savvy??

Not only does this guy give me a hard time regarding profits but calls me a "Bottom-feeder." Now he says it is ok to make a profit but it is not ok to imply that his herd is contaminated with BSE.

I get it Timh. But hear this.

I am not convinced that all cattle are carrying PrPsc (Sorry rkaiser for any prior & confusing use of the words) in fact, I am convinced that only a very small percentage of the national herds are carrying the deadly prion. The problem is as mentioned many times - the rest of the world sees only that Canadian Beef is a potential risk and we need to show the world that the beef going to market is not only tested but proven to be safe.

So if my wanting to test all cattle to show that they are free of BSE makes me a "bottom-feeder" then I guess I will gladly feed on the bottom of whatever until I can show it. So TimH - deal with that but try to keep your insults to yourself.

TimH, one last time. Keep your stupid remarks about where Sandhusker's nose is or where I do my feeding to yourself. If you want to be the consumate asshole, keep at it - you are doing a great job. I am here to share information and to engage in honest and open debate on a topic of importance to all here (except you obviously). Why are you here Tim? Other than to insult and spew rhetoric?? Why Tim??

:D :D Poor Little Ron. You keep saying you aren't going to respond to me anymore, and then ,POOF ,here you are again!!(with your cheerleaders in tow) :D :D
Any live bse-test, that requires ANOTHER ANTE-MORTEM test to confirm the results, is pointless. Think about it people. :roll:
If BSE-testing is the be-all/end-all solution to food safety concerns, why do the Japanese remove SRM even though they are testing 100%???
Why are they(other countries) accepting non-tested beef products as long as SRM is removed??
SRM removal renders Ron's test(or any other) pointless,as far as food safety is concerned. He knows that and that is why he calls SRM removal a joke.
Get over it Ron. As long as you are posting lies about the safety of my product , I'll be here. Deal with it.

If you feel that it is simply Ron who is saying that our beef is unsafe if not tested, I guess no one can argue with you Tim.

However, the little trickle of beef (SRM removed and under twenty months) that is entering the Japanese market is proof enough to me that testing would open another door for our product. The Japanese are removing SRM's and testing because the consumer is asking. Nothing to do with science.

The big argument against testing by CCA is that Japan is going the other way. The truth is that the government is cutting off funding but now that he cost is less than 10 bucks a head - the commercial industry in Japan will continue to test for the customer who asks.

We have the chance here as well Tim. The Japanese are here now and asking for tested product. I am not sayi9ng that the Japanese consumer is smarter than the North American one, just saying that there is a marketing opportunity and we are ignoring it in favor of the status quo. A status quo that is challenging our very survival as beef cattle producers.

Any live bse-test, that requires ANOTHER ANTE-MORTEM test to confirm the results, is pointless. Think about it people.

Why are you stopping here Tim. The ante- mortem test is to confirm a postive result from the live test. Why is that such a bad thing in your mind? Geesh Tim, this second test may even prove old Ron's test wrong and then you could dance the Happy happy dance for the rest of your career.

I think you are over reacting by calling us cheerleaders Tim. We all see this issue a bit different.

Sonny Boy Tim ;SRM removal renders Ron's test(or any other) pointless,as far as food safety is concerned.

You need to go back to scoool. Or your just Klownnning ? and stupid as their is only a small amount of food safety by Removing SRM 's.

A question for bse-tester
Does your live (urine) test require that each and every animal have the brain stem test as a followup?

S.S.A.P. wrote:

A question for bse-tester
Does your live (urine) test require that each and every animal have the brain stem test as a followup?

Once it is validated and accepted then the only test required as a confirmatory test will be that which the government mandates. We will of course, strongly suggest that upon our test being validated and accepted by the OIC and subsequently by the USDA and the CFIA, that the only confirmatory testing needing be done in the event of a positive sample being found will be to confirm that animal only and any blood-line or herd-members associated with it.

Having said that, we will be conducting, as part of the total testing procedure, a second test for all animals as it is common practice that all tests come in two parts - preliminary and secondary/confirmatory.

The sample taken for the second test, unlike the first test which is done using only urine, will include urine, liver and brain tissue in an homogenate and a portion of that second sample mixture will be tested and the remainder will be kept in a minus 80 C freezer for a period that is equal to the average time it takes for the beef product to go from producer to slaughter to kitchen and consumption. Of course, we do factor in the average time a steak might sit in a domestic freezer also. Our IT guys have told us that we can easily keep any number of traceable records indefinitely and that we can keep stored tissue samples for as long as necessary and as many as necessary.

Latest posts