• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question for everyone????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

one_tuff_ride

Reaction score
I'm looking for input from everyone possible on this. I'm all ears for the good and the bad. I'm 22 years old and i'm very interested in the cattle industry. I've helped out doctoring, branding, cutting, and feeding on about 500 head of cattle with a friend of mine so i'm not saying that i have any experience at all cause i don't. I got just enough taste in my mouth to know that this is where my heart lies. This is what i want to do....But where do i start????? I'm not affraid of work at all as a matter of fact i love hard work..i see it as fun more than i do work...I've picked just about everyones brain that i can around here, and i'm wanting to get to know as much as i can about everything there is to know about this lifestyle. I have seen all of the stuff that everyone has posted and i get to thinking..man i'd love to have that someday....and just want to know what to do to get there???? Where do i start?? What do i buy? Do i buy calves? do i buy steers to go to the feedlot?..... What do i do? Where do i begin? I'm looking for all of the input that anybody can give me. I want to know the good the bad and the ugly and everything in between. I know no matter what it is i'm gonna have to start small and work my way up, but hey that's what i'm here to do. If we all started at the top it wouldn't be worth near as much. All of your input is greatly appreciated and i thank you in advance.

If you're that new into the biz BUT really want to get the full education that comes along with it all....don't buy a thing.

Go to work for some good, reputable outfit and LEARN, LEARN & LEARN some more. Work there a year or so or until you know what to buy for your area, your interest and the market near you.

If you get hooked up with the right kind of people they might even help you get started by letting you run a few pairs on their place.

Bottom line....LEARN as much as you can FIRST!

It takes more than hard work anymore. Without some help in getting started wether it be a parent, family member, or retiring farmer/rancher, it is in my opinion almost impossible to get started on your own without another source of outside income. The expense of running an ag operation is astronomical! It is really sad that more young people who have the desire like you do can't get a fair go of it. :mad:

On a brighter note. I agree learn everything you can because the smarter you are about things the less mistakes you make and cost you money. It is always cheaper to let someone else make the mistake and learn from them. But keep your eyes open and maybe something great will happen for you.

I'M PULLING FOR YOU!!!!

ps-didn't mean to sound so pessimistic

I've always wanted to start a service that would match older wanting to slow down ranchers with young willing to work upstarts.

If the young fella paid his dues by working cheap and helping the older guy make enough to retire on, the older guy could afford to cut the young guy a break.

Of course human nature what it is, some young guy would rob an old guy blind, and some old guy would work the kid to death and leave all his stuff to his city kids.

It's a nice idea if you can find the right fit.

Just remember if it doesn't work on paper, and you have to be realistic wtih your figures, it won't work in the real world. Hard work alone doesn't cut it anymore. Marketing and business classes are almost a necessity to run cows anymore. Good Luck.

Get yourself a job with a good rancher. Don't pretend to know or be anything except willing to learn. Its a pretty tough go for any cash to jingle in your pocket, but heck, you won't have to take time off to spend your money! Might want to check out that Big Muddy thing too. :wink:
The feedlot is a good place to learn a lot about cattle.

I appreciate all of the response from everyone and i Thank you once again. I have my associates degree in Business and Accounting and i'm finishing my bachelors in Marketing in less than a year. I have a two great jobs one as an estimator/project manager for a caommercial construction company and i own a commercial/residential landscope company and that's how i'm paying the bills with and saving up a little on the side so i can get into the cattle business a little bit. I have also talked with a few folks about these FSA/USDA loans? Has anybody tried these or does anybody know anything about them? Once again you input is greatly appreciated.

I am in the middle of an FSA loan.....good rates, but man do they get into your life!!!!

That's what i've herd. I have talked with a few people that have done it this way, and i've herd good and bad things about it. So do you really think that it is the best way to go? I've talked to some people from the agency ,but i'm not sure if they are sugar coating everything or if it's really what they say it is.

Marry a ranchers daughter. While this may seem like a silly or cheeky thing to say I am pan faced serious. If this is your dream find a like minded partner.

If you can keep your day jobs while building a herd, that might be best. If you can do it without borrowing money even better. Then you don't work for the banker but yourself. You can always quit a day job if the cattle work out. If they don't you have something to fall back on and you are not worried about how to pay back borrowed money. Owning cattle is alot harder then it looks. I'm not trying to discourage you, just being honest.

One-tuff-ride, I was just on Farmers-only.(on-line dating site) I don't know about the ladies but alot of the fellers look like potential murderers. :shock: I think we are going to have to rethink this :) LOL!

here's a thought,
young single guy, making good money, needs tax break
find someone-friend preferably- who has more grass than cattle -who will run your cattle on shares-you can help out on weekends- learn what works-your buying cattle with you own money-no intrest- your friend gets his place stocked without borrowing money- you get experience-friend gets free help-everybody wins-I've seen this work.

Any meet your criteria Judith?? lol... My wife informed me today, out of the blue, while we were driving to the doctor that she was going to be informing me when I needed to concern myself with these things... I wonder if she is reading over my shoulder and I don't even notice :shock:
eyes.gif

There seems to be a shocking lack of nose hairs in these fellas. 8) There were a few hotties that looked like they could have been serial killers. I think dating a serial killer might be kind of entertaining. You know the "so honey why do you have blood on your shirt"... "well I cut myself shaving" type of conversations might be good for mental stimulation :)

(good lord how did I get to live this long being sooooo cheeky :)

As someone younger and involved in a ranching operation I tend to be pessamistic also about young people getting an operation of their own unless they are born into the land. Fewer and fewer ranch owners are leasing just selling out. It's hard to pencil it out on paper for cattle alone to pay for land. Plus in order for the cattle to come close to paying the bills then they have to be paid for if there is to be a land payment also. I would suggest you get an education first and then when you have that to fall back on perhaps try to figure out how to follow your dream then. The bank can take assets but they can't take your education. JMHO

Judith said:
One-tuff-ride, I was just on Farmers-only.(on-line dating site) I don't know about the ladies but alot of the fellers look like potential murderers. :shock: I think we are going to have to rethink this :) LOL!
Just think of these guys as being the Sensitive Type :!: Gosh :roll: there,s no way of pleasing you women :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just thought I'd say that I am a young female rancher looking for a guy that is willing to put up a country gal. I have a little herd of cows and 4 horses. I work as a ranch hand to a very respected rancher that is very willing to help me get started. I hope this helps you in anyway possible.

Latest posts