• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

question for good hunters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ksvdberg

Reaction score
I would like to know what to do to discourage the bad hunters from coming on our property without putting up a no hunting sign. We have a problem here with unlawful crazy hunters. We are in an area well know for our grouse population as well as a good supply of mule deer. These guys show no respect. I have a herd of horses and they shoot right next to them. Sending the horses into a frenzy. I have been told by fish and game that this is technically not illegal because our house is well set back from the road were they are shooting. I can't do anything until they send one through the fence. The really crazy ones who drive onto our place shooting out of their pick up are gone before I can do anything about it. I try to get their plate numbers with out success. Now I think hunters are generally good guys but these jerks are gonna ruin it. How do I discourage these guys without preventing the good guys to come and hunt with common sence. Thanks for any ideas.

When you figure it out, let me know. :x

I do think that hunters should police themselves as all groups should. Problem is, if it's a stranger doing something stupid we get mad. If it's a buddy we just laff and say "Well, you know, he is a friend........" :roll:

Bad hunters spoil it for everyone.. You are going to have to post the property most likely and keep all hunters off. Perhaps you know who some of the good ones are in your mind and you can give them permission but still post it no tresspassing..

I know a few people in Illinois who have formed fack hunting clubs and put up lease signs on their farms.. Generally keeps hunters off better than no hunting signs believe it or not,,

We have no tresspassing signs up one at each gate. The gates are closed exept for the one to our yard. We have 2 game officers for all of southern alberta. How the heck are they gonna do anything about it. I am so tired of the deer eating my trees. I don't want to get rid of them all just the bad ones.

What ARE the rules for trespassing in Alberta? In Ontario, having a field under tillage or with a crop on it (including under snow), having livestock pasturing, or managing a woodlot as part of a farm are all considered the same as posting it. That is, do any of those things and the land is SUPPOSED to be treated as if it's posted unless you say otherwise.

rules for alberta according to local fish and game officer.... absolutely no tresspassing. no signs needed.
no hunting with out permission anywhere unless there is no fence, no livestock, no signs of ownership ( way out in the boonies) for 3 square miles.

It sounds as though you are facing a real threat to your livestock and people when these guys do this. See if your game dept will setup a decoy on your property? They can get video footage and plate numbers, after paying the fines I'm betting you won't see many road hunters out your way. Word will travel fast and many states in the US conduct these decoy operations by request of many landowners who face the same thing you are dealing with.

unfourtunately Ive talked to the fish and game. They just dont have the resources to do any investigating. They say they rely on landowners to get the licence plate numbers and they will follow up. I have to say it's prtty hard to get their numbers as they are driving around. But you did give me an idea. maybe I could put up a camera (even a fake one) by the corals. It might at least discourage them from taking their shots right next to them. Thanks

Post the place, lock them out, and make them come and talk to you before they hunt. If they look rowdy, are drinking, or otherwise seem fruity, tell them it's leased to someone.

Being from Texas I can't imagine somebody acting up on your land or being there without your express permission.

The gates are closed. just for example a couple of months ago i look out the window at coffee time and I see so jerk climbing over the fence heading into my pasture with his gun and dog. I walked out my door and yelled at him to *%^& off and he scampered back to his pick up and drove off. I am just so tired of it.

Why do you NOT want to put up " POSTED" signs?

Here if you ever want to press charges for trespassing you HAVE to have visible POSTED or NO TREPASSING signs.

There was a good no trespassing sign on here somewhere. I read something like this " No tresspassing, Trespassers will be shot, survivoirs will be shot again" or something :?

Katy

The occupied lands act should apply in your situation. Another sign I've seen says, "We shoot every third trespasser, and the second one just left!" Of course you'd probably get in trouble for making threats with such a sign.....

Oh...that's my sign @ my farm entrances!

I put those up after the local ' law' would do nothing about the local POS thief sneaking about stealing from me and others in the neighborhood!

Sheriff even asked me take them down cause it wasn't " fair" to scare people with signs like that!!

Goofy B--tard, makes me think he's in ca-hoots with the crook cause they are related and this IS the South!!!

kolanuraven said:
Oh...that's my sign @ my farm entrances!

I put those up after the local ' law' would do nothing about the local POS thief sneaking about stealing from me and others in the neighborhood!

Sheriff even asked me take them down cause it wasn't " fair" to scare people with signs like that!!

Goofy B--tard, makes me think he's in ca-hoots with the crook cause they are related and this IS the South!!!

huh.... I thought EVERYBODY in the south was related. isn't it "West Virginia, 4 million people, two last names"

Incest is something the whole family can enjoy!!!

That's the Southern motto!

damn, and us boring old yankees just play horseshoes or go fishing as a family.....

perhaps I am glad the south did not win the war.

jigs said:
damn, and us boring old yankees just play horseshoes or go fishing as a family.....

perhaps I am glad the south did not win the war.

Jigs, She's just speaking for the Southerners in Georgia.

But I'm a little mixed up................I thought Georgia's motto was:

"Incest is Best"

Didn't know they got a new one.............................

Latest posts