• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question for Northern Rancher

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
The days are pretty short now, but starting to get longer since December 21st. Our "usable daylight" is now from approximately 6:30 a.m. MST until 4:30 p.m. MST.

My question for Northern Rancher, or any other Canadian ranchers, is how much daylight do you have available at this time of year? The days are short enough around here, and you are a long ways further north. Probably the cows have to eat fast before it get to dark to see the feed. :wink:

Merry Christmas.

Right now about 8 hours I'd say-if it gets really cold (-40) it getskinda hazy lol. Unbelievable up here now just at freezing-no snow really-it might sound a bit selfish but I'll take a smidgeon of global warming. There's two schools of thought up here on nice weather-some say we'll pay for it later I always look at it as one less cold one.

Soapweed,

Its been hovering well above the freezeing point here. And we have been getting off and on rain showers making it very icy at night. Hard on the cattle with these real damp warm days. Lots of Fog! Cant remember a Christmas when it was so warm. How are things down on the Soapweed Ranch?

From a noncanadian------
Didn't realize threre was that much difference in the short distance from you to where we live! Our sunlight is from 7:32 to 4:10.m.s.

Gee Soapweed. I always thought of YOU as a northern rancher. As a matter of fact I think of Amarillo as northern. Don't think I could handle the short cold days. Merry Christmas everyone!!
bobbyj

Northern Rancher said:
Short cold days are great weather for indoor sports!!!
Filled the mother-in-law full of turkey and took $3.00 off her in a card game last night. Is that the Christmas spirit or what :!: Say,s she will get her revenge on Boxing Day :eek: :D :D :D Merry Christmas Everybody :!:

I leave the lights on 24/7 now. Increases weight gains :D I'm not sure what our official sunrise/sunset hours are, but it hasn't been light enough here to run without loader lights until about 8:45am or so, and by 5:15 they're on again.

According to the weather network, sunrise is 9:10 and sunset is 4:41.

Rod

7:18 am sunrise and 5:28 pm sunset here in texas.......and I agree, I think of Amarillo as "the north" :lol:
so that's 10 hours and 20 minutes of daylight .....

And a forecast for Tuesday of Highs in the 80s

Sun and Moon Data for One Day
The following information is provided for Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (longitude W80.8, latitude N35.2):

Monday
26 December 2005 Eastern Standard Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 7:02 a.m.
Sunrise 7:30 a.m.
Sun transit 12:24 p.m.
Sunset 5:18 p.m.
End civil twilight 5:46 p.m.

The weather is normal averaging between 58-61 every other day chance of rain.
Can tell the kids are getting grumpy need to break out the natural light.
Hope every one had a great Christmas.
We are on the upswing of getting light longer the shortest day has passed wwoohooooo here comes summer :D

I can actually work from sun up to sundown around this time of year if I pace myself-not so easy in June when we get 20 plus hours of daylight lol.

official sunrise at my house today (MST): 9:37
sunset: 4:32
Just shy of 7 hrs by my calculations. Like NR, I find if I have to I can work from sun up to sundown these days.
No snow yet, I'm pretty sad about that, it's -4 today and not raining, so I'm pretty happy about that.
I don't know how you folks can survive down there in Texas, kinda gives me shivers. Must be way tougher than me.

Whoa........go easy Silver and NR.....you're gonna spill our little northern secret!! We may go hard thru the growing season(thankfully it's short) but we've got months of easy time.....just do a few quick chores and take things as easy as we can get away with!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Them southerner's has to go like the devil for the entire year just to keep ahead and they's sweating,swatting bugs and chasing snakes the whole time while having to work their butts off!!! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Northern Rancher said:
I can actually work from sun up to sundown around this time of year if I pace myself-not so easy in June when we get 20 plus hours of daylight lol.

Yeah that sucks, don't it? Although, I could have used a few more hours sunlight. Hauling some bales that I couldn't get picked up because of wet ground. Absolutely nuthin went right. From sun-up to sunset, I got 2 stupid b-trains hauled :(

Rod

Here in Sask. we don't change time. Just south of me it's dark at 4;30 and it's 5:30 here. When dating my wife who lived just 4 miles away but I had to drive 40 miles thru the Port of Entry I could get to her place before I left home but it took 2 hours to get home. Chores seemed to come awful early in those days. We are the same time as Manitoba and North Dakota in the winter and Montana and Alberta in the summer. Some people still think we should change time but since our province is split by a time zone i think it should just stay the way it is.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Here in Sask. we don't change time. Just south of me it's dark at 4;30 and it's 5:30 here. When dating my wife who lived just 4 miles away but I had to drive 40 miles thru the Port of Entry I could get to her place before I left home but it took 2 hours to get home. Chores seemed to come awful early in those days. We are the same time as Manitoba and North Dakota in the winter and Montana and Alberta in the summer. Some people still think we should change time but since our province is split by a time zone i think it should just stay the way it is.

That means Haymaker is right-- you can sleep until 9AM til it gets daylite enough to do chores... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

That means Haymaker is right-- you can sleep until 9AM til it gets daylite enough to do chores... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Yea but the Coyotes howl while you chickens sleep. :wink: :cowboy:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Yea but the Coyotes howl while you chickens sleep. :wink: :cowboy:

SUNRISE AND SUNSET
DECEMBER 26 2005......SUNRISE 756 AM MST SUNSET 418 PM MST

The coyotes may howl- but my horses thought I was nuts when I was catching them up in the dark this morning.......

I'm with you Oldtimer. Or anyway I used to be until I figured out that horses can't tell time. Heck I never even knew one that wore a watch. Finally I realized they were in control. I got on my schedule instead of theirs. I get to sleep later and the horses get brunch unless we have to have to work cows that day.
bobbyj

Latest posts