• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question for the commercial cow/calf producers.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Just wondering what you payed for your bull(s) this year or expect to pay this year for your new yearling bull ? Say you run 40-100 head ..

Lets say it is a really nice purebred bull from a reputable breeder .BSE completed and registered.

Thanks

Depending on breed- but you could pick up a good average registered bull at most sales I went to this year for $2000....

Now if you were a number chaser- and wanted the top numbers (or your picture in the paper) it would take $4,000 on up at most sales....

Around here you can find good purebred bulls for $2,500, and good half bloods in the $2,000 range.
Our rule of thumb is a bull should cost about the equivalent of 4to 5 calves.
I'm not a fan of auction bulls, I think it's better to buy from people / herds you know well.

Yep-- a lot of times if a breeder has a following built up- doesn't have to spend a lot on advertising- sales promotion companies- sales barn commission- and auctioneer commission they can make as much or more just doing private treaty sales...And the rancher can get as good or better bull for a better deal....

As a simmental breeder this year i averaged 1900 on 4 bulls all to commercial herds,all were dream on grand sons out of fleck. cowsla breeder who has his sale in town averaged2000 +on similar bulls . the local bull sale averaged 1954 on 11 head with A HIGH OF 2500 &A low of 1800

I bought 4 bulls this year, 1 yearling RA for 1800 at a sale and 3 RA May 2's at 2300 by private treaty.
In the past I have had to pay in excess of 4000 for bulls to get what I wanted, probably will pay that again if one really impresses me.

this spring i paid 1900 for a very nice bbf 2 year old blk simmental bull at a bull sale. i was very happy with that . it seems like some guys with good promotin and lots of whiskey would have got 3500 if that was there bull . but for 1900 i could buy a lot of whiskey myself truthfully i think 2 to 2500 for a yearling would be adesent price if we were getting decent prices in the fall.

hillsdown said:
Just wondering what you payed for your bull(s) this year or expect to pay this year for your new yearling bull ? Say you run 40-100 head ..

Lets say it is a really nice purebred bull from a reputable breeder .BSE completed and registered.

Thanks

Between $15-$20 a straw! 8)

Frank in West Dakota said:
hillsdown said:

Thanks

Between $15-$20 a straw! 8)

That's about what my brother pays for Brahman straws. I gave $2000 each for my last two bulls and that included the BSE and shot records.

Latest posts