• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question on a small hp tractor

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Looked at the ad, I think the tractor will do what she wants to do. I have some reservations about parts availability in the future since it was built by Shibaura in Japan and is 25 years old.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/5/253-ford-1710.html

John SD said:
I've done a lot of snowblower work with the benefit of a cab but with a useless heater. :roll: My tractor is bigger than what my snowblower requires. A snowblower will eat as much snow as it's designed for, if the tractor has the power, traction, and proper gearing to do it.

I don't put up with "so so" heaters.

On my Road Grader I left the factory heater and added a bunk heater out of a Semi Tractor ( hook water lines in series ) also did the same on two of my dump trucks all blowing directly on drivers feet.

On the JD 690 excavator I removed the factory heater and replaced it with one out of a 24 passenger school bus. Now I leave the windshield open at 0 degrees F and feel good!

I also hold a patent for the "Hot Foot" that I sold for several years ( patent now expired ) which amounts to a heated floor board. This is usefull where you don't have room for a conventional heater.

I added a second heater to one of my 980 cats ( a B model ) but the newer ones have enough from the factory.

If you have a large truck junk yard they will probably sell you good bunk heaters for about $35.00 and they can make a great differance. I hook them up thru a " Single pole double throw with center off " switch. Hook tractor power to the center pole and then high when the switch is up and low when the switch is down.

pups and bucks said:
I wouldn't think she would need a cab...........she could call her boyfriend up and stay in the house and make hot chocolate and maybe cookies for him while he is blowing the snow..........just thinking.... :)

Now you have me thinking - - - -don't buy a tractor - - -make sure your boyfriend already has one!

George said:
pups and bucks said:
I wouldn't think she would need a cab...........she could call her boyfriend up and stay in the house and make hot chocolate and maybe cookies for him while he is blowing the snow..........just thinking.... :)

Now you have me thinking - - - -don't buy a tractor - - -make sure your boyfriend already has one!

How about a boyfriend with lots of means. They can snuggle up near the fireplace while a contractor looks after the snow. :wink:

It's got 20 drawbar horse power. Back when I was a teenager we got along with a couple of B John Deers. Had a little old Jay Hawk loader on one of them. Used them all the time during the winter of 1949, no cab no comfort heater. Had a team of horses but never had them in the barn. Would just pack a trail through the snow, then the wind would blow the loose off and we had a hyway. Well, we did have to shovel a lot, and often pulled the hay wagon through some drifts with a log chain.

I know I am old fashioned, but $8900 still seems like a lot of cash to me.
Only 800 hours, heck with good care it should run another 20 years without needing any parts.

I don't know, my lawn mower has 20 hp but this is a little different kind of outfit. The loader bucket looks big for the size of tractor. Might be fine for snow but cleaning corrals might be a little more difficult. I'd sure want some weights on the back wheels, either cast weights or fluid in the tires or both. JMO. Think I'd work on the price a little too.

I think it might work on small jobs for her... as a general rule I try to always use a larger tractor than the job needs. That way you won't over tax your equipment and have some reserve capacity, i.e. horsepower or lift capacity wise.

I was wondering if some of the ROPS structure was missing? It seems like it is too short. Check out similar tractors on http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1111&Manu=FORD&Mdltxt=1710&mdlx=exact.

Latest posts