• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question on Pickup Shocks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

High Plains

Reaction score
I need some new shocks on my 1999 F150. What are the specifications of a good shock? I don't need anything real fancy or high-performance, but I know that the quality and price level sure ranges pretty wide. Anyone wish to share a little advice? Thanks.

HP

Beat it across the ranch pickup or a lot of highway miles? If it is the first buy the most expensive name brand shock you can afford. If it is a couple off road miles and then back on the highway most anything will do.
FYI my favorite name brand is Carquest.

High Plains said:
I need some new shocks on my 1999 F150. What are the specifications of a good shock? I don't need anything real fancy or high-performance, but I know that the quality and price level sure ranges pretty wide. Anyone wish to share a little advice? Thanks.

HP

Yes, just don't lay on some left-over fiberglass insulation (even though it looks "soft") while you install the shocks. It makes you all itchy. :wink:

Price usually coincides with warranty on shocks. If you plan to keep the unit a long time ,buy top of the line and get a lifetime warranty and a great ride.

Hire Soapweed to install them, seems he's all itchy anyway.( that must be experience talking)

SHORTSTUFF said:
Price usually coincides with warranty on shocks. If you plan to keep the unit a long time ,buy top of the line and get a lifetime warranty and a great ride.

Hire Soapweed to install them, seems he's all itchy anyway.( that must be experience talking)

Yup. I found out pretty early in life that I wasn't cut out to be a mechanic. Just didn't have the knack or the knuckles for it. :wink:

I don't know what kind of load you are putting in the back of that pickup, but in my experience, nothing will blow out shocks quicker than overloading them.

I carry a BIG load on my Chevy 1500 regularly several times a year, but not weekly or anything like that. My shocks would not take it. Because the job came up only every month or two, I was reluctant to put heavy springs in it. Didn't want to lose a smooth ride permanently just to carry the infrequent extra-heavy load.

The solution I found was from Firestone in the form of "Ride Rite" airbags on the back axle. They are easy to install ( I did it myself!) and I inflate them to 60 PSI only when I need them. The rest of the time, it is necessary to have only 5 -10 PSI in them and they don't take away a nice, smooth ride, which is kinda nice since our pickup gets used for a family transportation vehicle as well.

With that air-ride suspension, I can carry my 1 tonne load load of parts to the electro-platers and back and barely feel that I have a load on.

Soapweed, you are an inpiration. Your wisdom is timeless.

This pickup doesn't see much heavy use. Almost nothing that would be considered rough terrain. :cry: Maybe we'll be able to change that someday, but for now it's to work and back and down the road. Sure keeps it in good shape, though. :wink:

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

HP

Latest posts