• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sweetbasil

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
"Sweetbasil" needs your help. Does anyone knows of an insurance broker, who will be willing to work with a college student? I need a price estimate for my capstone project. Any suggestions or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
SB

Big Muddy rancher said:
What about that little green lizard guy? :wink: :lol: :lol:

I'll try Geico (the lizard guy (LOL) tomorrow). I feel like I have 90% of the variables that I need to do a cost benefit analysis but the following:

1. I need an insurance estimate for auto liability for a minimum of $750,000 and cargo liability for a minimum of $25,000

2. I need to find a trucking company that can give me an estimate for an standard maintenance package.

I have been brainstorming some ideas; tomorrow will be a new day with new hope and possibilities of a miracle.... I really need to get these variables. If anyone knows of someone that can help me get these estimates, please let me know....

BMR, thanks for the tip. Keep the ideas coming! :)

Auto and commercial truck fall under different regs. getting auto liability will give you skewed numbers. Different states have different laws and amounts required. Most large trucking companies have "moved" home office to states where they get a better rate on tags, insurance, permits ect.....
Even if you use a van or car to transport its still a commercial vehicle and does not get the same quote.

shoer pays per mile for both maintenance and fuel tax (extra to what is charged at the pumps). If they quote you less than, close to 8000 a year its not right. Permits are a bit over 2600 a year.

MsSage said:
Auto and commercial truck fall under different regs. getting auto liability will give you skewed numbers. Different states have different laws and amounts required. Most large trucking companies have "moved" home office to states where they get a better rate on tags, insurance, permits ect.....
Even if you use a van or car to transport its still a commercial vehicle and does not get the same quote.

shoer pays per mile for both maintenance and fuel tax (extra to what is charged at the pumps). If they quote you less than, close to 8000 a year its not right. Permits are a bit over 2600 a year.

Hello MsSage,
Thanks so much for your valuable feedback. I received the insurance quote today from Progressive. I really appreciate your help!

Here is the deal:
I am doing a capstone project on whether to invest in a truck fleet (4 trucks) or keep hiring the third party logistics provider (3PL).

I feel like I am almost done with getting the needed variables to do a benefit cost analysis that will quantify the investment and allow me the opportunity to compare the annual costs of owning and operating the truck fleet versus the estimate costs of hiring 3PL.

Does of you buy semi-used trucks (approximately 2-3 years old and sell them back in secondary markets?

I am currently working on getting a price for trucks that are 2 years old and have a reasonable number of miles, so that I can incorporate the option of buying them used and operating them for another 3 years and selling them back. Do you know a sales representative from an small trucking company that might be willing to help a college student get an estimate for this variable?

The second variable is getting an estimate for a standard maintenance package.

Lastly, I am trying to find a Canadian website that might give me an estimate for the price of diesel.

I think that after getting these estimates I will be on my way the completion of this project.

Hope that everyone is having a great week.

Best,
SB

Latest posts