• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Questions for FDA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
On C-Span this morning Rose DeLauro questioned the FDA head honcho on when the new Feed Ban Rule will presumably take effect. Chicken litter, etc.

The FDA guy (Eschensomething) said by July the slimmed down version of the proposal should come into effect. His main concern was what to do with the 10 Billion lbs of chicken litter each year? And that it would place a burden on the chicken industry and the processors could be at a disadvantage.

His reply was strange in that he must think that all of the litter is being fed to cows now............................ plus the fact that processors are not the ones having to deal with litter in general.

The entire FDA question and answer session seemed very evasive.

Mike said:
On C-Span this morning Rose DeLauro questioned the FDA head honcho on when the new Feed Ban Rule will presumably take effect. Chicken litter, etc.

The FDA guy (Eschensomething) said by July the slimmed down version of the proposal should come into effect. His main concern was what to do with the 10 Billion lbs of chicken litter each year? And that it would place a burden on the chicken industry and the processors could be at a disadvantage.

His reply was strange in that he must think that all of the litter is being fed to cows now............................ plus the fact that processors are not the ones having to deal with litter in general.

The entire FDA question and answer session seemed very evasive.

If the chicken litter did not have possible bse agents from MBM that needed to be worried about, bse feed ban rules would only make the chicken litter situation easier for poultry farmers and their cattle.

The poultry producers have a hard time with the litter because of all the phosphorus put in the feed and then it is the limiting litter nutrient when calculating how much can be spread on the land. It seems from what you are saying that the packer view is the one being pushed on the hill instead of real science again. I didn't see the interview but this sounds like another beltway hack talking about something he doesn't really know anything about. I have a close relative in the poultry business and these facts are well known with them and the environmental departments in the state governments due to the CAFO (confined animal feeding operations) regulations.

reader (the Second) said:
Actually I think this was like the administration's appointment of Chertoff to DHS. They did it because he was confirmable, not because he was an experienced manager appropriate for a HUGE, newly formed, unwieldy government agency.

Von Eschenbach sounds like he has a longtime career in cancer research but is confirmable and acceptable to the administration...

From cancer to FDA and poultry litter...

Not to mention the current lawsuits against Tyson regarding the arsenic they put in their chicken feed that the plaintiffs blamed on cancer clusters in Arkansas, I believe.

His main concern was what to do with the 10 Billion lbs of chicken litter each year? The reason is that they are still adding large amounts of animal protien to chicken feed and it would change the price.

PORKER said:
His main concern was what to do with the 10 Billion lbs of chicken litter each year? The reason is that they are still adding large amounts of animal protien to chicken feed and it would change the price.

Yep. Money over science again.

PORKER said:
Darn right ,the Protien sellers got Englands cattle and sheep rendering's sold around the world with BSE in it.

I think it is important that we continually identify those who are not doing their jobs. One day they need to pay with theirs.

Latest posts