• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Questions for you cake feeders

Help Support Ranchers.net:

wdcook

Reaction score
Do you buy the cake in bulk? How do you store it? Is it correct that some bulk trucks have drags instead of augers to put it in bins? Do you buy in trailer load lots and how much cheaper is it? How much damage does an auger do to the cubes?

I have a T and S trip feeder (that I love) but we do not feed cake. Usually feed a combo of soy hulls and corn gluten pellets. I store trlr load lots in a 1000 bu bin and transfer it as needed to a bulk bin w/ an auger to fill feeder. Anybody have an overhead bin that will hold a trlr load? What kind and how do you like it? Any problems in icy weather with the door slide?

Was interested in Soapweed's pic's the other day where the cows were fed in a circle. I learned several yrs ago that the cattle 'behave better' and are less likely to run around if you feed in a circle. Sure makes it harder for me to get an accurate count tho. Which brings up another ? How often does everyone count their large bunches of dry cows?

We are in Eastern Colorado and buy our range cubes out of Frion Texas. 38% protien cubes cost $215 per ton plus freight which is $15-20. It is delivered in "paddle" trucks which have an elevator for loading the cubes into our storage bins. We have one 24 ton and one 16 ton bin even though the trucks only hold 24 tons. That way, we never run out.

We feed range cubes every other day. If there is snow on the ground, we feed hay on alternate days.

Counting cows - My guys count all of our cows evwery day. They are generally in herds of 80-100. After feeding, they drive along and count. I am not good enough to count them when they are in groups, but my guys sure as heck can. If the count is not right, they might make another pass and recount. Otherwise, they will drive the pasture until they find the missing cattle. This is particularly good when calving.

We calf in open range pasture of one or two sections. Rarely do we ever have a problem with scours since the cattle scatter out.

We have two overhead bins that each hold 25 tons of cake. One is where I live and the other is three miles away where Saddletramp lives. The trucks that deliver our cake have belt-o-vator systems that are user-friendly to the cake. However, my pickup mounted caker has a short three foot auger, but it doesn't chew up the cake very badly. Saddletramp's pickup uses a belt for dispensing the cubes.

It is hard to get a good count on the cattle when they come in for cake, but we try to at least get a rough count so the proper amount of feed is fed. One advantage of having both red and black cows in a bunch is that it is easier to count the red ones and then count the black ones and add up the total. If all the cows are one color, it is more a shot in the dark as far as getting a good count.

I'd never heard that one before, Soapweed. But it makes alot of sense!! You could write a book on ranch tips alone.

"Soapweed's Ranch Tips". :cboy:
Nah, they'd think that was something to eat.

How about:

"How-To Ranching" by Soapweed? :cboy:

See, we've got you on your way!

Heres the best one>

"Everything you ever wanted to know about ranching, but were too scared to ask". I :heart: that one.

Okay. Okay. :gag: :stop: :help: :gag:

Oh dear. I understand. I just kinda liked the sound of that name when BMR whipped it on you. I won't admit it took me a couple of times to figure out who he was referring to...

But since you have such a good reason, I will never utter those words again. In fact, I can go back and edit what I put in the first time.

Let's see. What would be a more fitting nickname?
Can I have a little help here?

SaddleTramp?
JingleBob?
nr?
Anybody?

After all that, I'm glad you are still talking to me... :clap:

no, I didn't get him called today. Will try tomorrow. :nod:

Had a little excitement here today. Our neighbor who had the 4 wheeler accident had to be taken back to the hospital.

I really think he thought he was checking out...scared us all. Those darn head injuries really trouble me. No one knows enough about them and every one of 'em is different. Anyway, after spending the day in the hospital, they decided it was the pain medicine that was causing what happened to him today. I sure hope so.

My only excitement for the day was a flat tire on the Dodge feed pickup. The spare is secured very well up under the Hydra-Bed, and as I was only six miles out of town when the tire went flat, I called my son to see how busy he was in the welding shop. He was working on a job, but came to the rescue of his dear old dad, picking up me and the tire. The tire was ruined, so I bought a new one at the gas station, and my son again delivered me to the stranded pickup. Shortly thereafter, I was off and running and able to feed cattle again. Sometimes it isn't what you know but who you know. :wink: :)

Soapweed said:
What's wrong with plain old Soapweed??? :???: :? :) :wink:
I can see it all now! :lol: A large crowd is gathered around the Central Book Display in the wide center isle of Barnes & Noble Bookstore. There, at a large Oaken Library Table piled high with stacks of new books and surrounded by a bevy of scantily-clad Twenty-Something's sits - - uh - - -is it - - -a- ah - it CAN'T be!! Why - - it - IS! It's (Drum ro-o-ol-l) Yes! It's "Soapweed" himself - cheerfully affixing his autograph to his latest book titled, "What's Wrong With Plain Ol' Soapweed?" and as a bonus, if you purchase his new book in the next 12 minutes, Soapweed himself will include, absolutely FREE of any additional charge, a signed copy of his new book, "A Pallete of Poetry and Pictures Prepared for Particular and Passionate People." Peach Blossom is patiently accepting Credit Cards, Checks, or Cash. . . . It's a beautiful thing!

DOC HARRIS

I love watching this forum and seeing the postings take a life of their own. :) And the changes are quite often more informative than the original topic. :D

I really hope to have the time this fall when a gathering happens to be able to meet many of you in person. :D :D This year it was just impossible. :(

Doc,

Haven't you been payin attention to the themes in Soapweeds Picture stories???? Peach Blossom doesn't sit back, she's the one doin the work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....So, it would be her somehow up front getting Carpal Tunnel and answering the questions. Soap would be in the Background , probably takin pictures with an occasional ear in one,

PPRM

PPRM said:
Doc,

Haven't you been payin attention to the themes in Soapweeds Picture stories???? Peach Blossom doesn't sit back, she's the one doin the work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....So, it would be her somehow up front getting Carpal Tunnel and answering the questions. Soap would be in the Background , probably takin pictures with an occasional ear in one,

PPRM
PPRM- Yes - you know, that was upperemost in my mind when I pictured the scene at Barnes & Noble - HOWEVER - I had to 'squeeze' the Twenty-Somethings in there somewhere, and it seem appropriate to have Soap in their midst!

DOC HARRIS

Jinglebob said:
I don't think Soapweed is wired for "twenty somethin"! :lol:

You are probably right, but I did just enjoy watching a re-run of the Man Show. The girls jumping on trampolines are always exciting, and they are probably "twenty-something". :wink:

Just because there is snow on the roof doesn't mean there is no fire in the fireplace. :shock: :)

Latest posts