• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Quiet wean nose flaps

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Last Friday we vaccinated 82 calves and installed nose flaps. Gathered and hauled the calves home today. We think we only lost 2 in the pasture and 10 in the truck on the way home. The calves were already quiet in the yard and the cows had left the corral and were out grazing shortly after. Sure hope it helps for sickness.
This is about the longest we have left them in as last couple years have got quite cold shortly after instillation so we brought them home.
Weaned the big bunch last Saturday and gave shots on Sunday, seem to be settling in well.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Last Friday we vaccinated 82 calves and installed nose flaps. Gathered and hauled the calves home today. We think we only lost 2 in the pasture and 10 in the truck on the way home. The calves were already quiet in the yard and the cows had left the corral and were out grazing shortly after. Sure hope it helps for sickness.
This is about the longest we have left them in as last couple years have got quite cold shortly after instillation so we brought them home.
Weaned the big bunch last Saturday and gave shots on Sunday, seem to be settling in well.
Big Muddy why do 82 caves.
I have 83 heifers and there calves about 11/2 miles from home. I hate to wean and hall the calves home because the cows can hear them and might come home down the county road and through several house yards, my insurance would frown on this. Sound like these flaps might work?

cows101 said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Big Muddy why do 82 caves.
I have 83 heifers and there calves about 11/2 miles from home. I hate to wean and hall the calves home because the cows can hear them and might come home down the county road and through several house yards, my insurance would frown on this. Sound like these flaps might work?

Sure might, the calves are bawling a bit but the cows seem to settle quickly. The calves are eating pretty good already and some had left the cow herd for a distance when we gathered yesterday.
We hit good weather this time. I don't really care for them when it gets bitter cold.

Pneumonia in our weaned heifer calves. Weaned 3 weeks when they started getting sick, the day before Mike left for elk camp.

Three weeks is usually how long it takes for an outbreak. Hope things are settling down now. One way to get antibiotics in them is
to mass treat them with Aero 50 in their feed IF you are feeding them in troughs or with a mixer wagon. It can be topdressed also. I think you only need to do that for 3 days. Sure knocks the illness fast. Good luck, Nicky.
Sick calves are a big concern. When you see a diagram of the internals of a cow and how small their lung capacity is, you
really understand why cattle are subject to so many respiratory problems.

I bring the herd to the barn one week prior to weaning and top dress hay with grain to teach the claves to eat from a bunk - - - they are still on pasture but fed twice a day and after about 3 to 4 days all the calves have at least started nibbling at the grain.

Then I wean my calves one week prior to working the herd ( if 18 cows is a herd ) then the bulls are castrated, heifers aborted and all shots given. The cows are then moved to another farm so they cannot hear each other.

I then feed the calves for 3 weeks before they go - - - the same feeder has purchased my calves every year for over a decade as he likes the way I pre condition them - - - they go right to gaining at his location.

With small numbers this is not a problem for me and I get the top price for calves paid at the local sale barns plus he pays for the vet bill for the calves he purchases - - - works good for me and him!

We fence line wean with few exceptions. Move a bunch so they're nearby, let them mother up, then the next morning get them in, separate, vaccinate. Move cows out after about 5 days. Repeat.... Calves seem to not get scared or upset if they're next to the cows, just getting some good hay is all for the first few days. Cows getting some not so good hay, and glad to leave by the time the bawling stops. Since they mothered up where they were weaned, it's not like they would travel cross country to get back to where they came from if they did get scared and break out. Doing last bunch tomorrow.

Traveler said:
We fence line wean with few exceptions. Move a bunch so they're nearby, let them mother up, then the next morning get them in, separate, vaccinate. Move cows out after about 5 days. Repeat.... Calves seem to not get scared or upset if they're next to the cows, just getting some good hay is all for the first few days. Cows getting some not so good hay, and glad to leave by the time the bawling stops. Since they mothered up where they were weaned, it's not like they would travel cross country to get back to where they came from if they did get scared and break out. Doing last bunch tomorrow.

I will second the fence line weaning. We try to wean in the place they have been. Pre condition calves couple weeks prior then work again when splitting. Turn the calves back out in pasture and leave cows locked up. With a hot wire to keep anyone from trying to reach through fence. I fed the calves oat hay and they took right off on it. They would go out and graze some then come back next to cows. Cows seemed to take it worse than calves. After 6 days moved cows then slowly worked calves up to good ration. Works good with no problems for us.

3 M L & C said:
Traveler said:

I will second the fence line weaning. We try to wean in the place they have been. Pre condition calves couple weeks prior then work again when splitting. Turn the calves back out in pasture and leave cows locked up. With a hot wire to keep anyone from trying to reach through fence. I fed the calves oat hay and they took right off on it. They would go out and graze some then come back next to cows. Cows seemed to take it worse than calves. After 6 days moved cows then slowly worked calves up to good ration. Works good with no problems for us.

Sounds like a real nice quiet (except for bawling cows) way to do it.

I use quiet nose flaps and have the cows on stalks and leave them there and they don't hardly make a sound when the calves leave unless one happens to lose a flap

Latest posts