• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Quiet wean nose tags

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowwrangler

Reaction score
i tried these on the first calf hefiers,left them in 7 days and pulled the calfs,the cows and calves never made a sound all night,the calves jumped out of the trailer and took to eating hay right away,so i ordered more to do the rest of the calves,thinking as dry as it is and dusty they wont be walking the fencelines,extra trip thru the chute to take them out but it seems to work,anyone else tried them?

We've used them the last two years and wouldn't do anything else. We have lost a few, but did not make too much of a deal. Those calves did not bawl much since nobody else was.

Started using this spring on fall calves. By next morning all was quiet except the odd cow. 2nd day dead silent.

And to think of all the time I wasted fixing weaning fences and chasing escaped calves back into pens, over the years.

I've got close to 300 fresh weaned calves in the corral right now. They are eating pretty good and settling in pretty good.
I have about 80 pairs 20 miles from home that I was thinking of giving Pre con shots to then turn back out with the cows for a while then wean but I think I will order some nose tabs and give shots and pasture wean them at the same time then haul them home and trail the cows in a couple weeks.

Does that sound like a plan?

I see Burnt can get the quiet wean right at Brussels agri supply.

I think I will just order mine from Saskatoon. :D

eatbeef said:
How much do these cost?

Here is a link to the maker.
http://www.quietwean.com/howtoorder.htm

I saw at one store $67.50 so I assume that was for 25.
Out of Saskatoon they are $50. plus shipping for 25

Here is a good article.
http://www.quietwean.com/2StepWeaning.pdf

Would these be big enough to put on the odd cow that likes to nurse?

Big Muddy rancher said:
I've got close to 300 fresh weaned calves in the corral right now. They are eating pretty good and settling in pretty good.
I have about 80 pairs 20 miles from home that I was thinking of giving Pre con shots to then turn back out with the cows for a while then wean but I think I will order some nose tabs and give shots and pasture wean them at the same time then haul them home and trail the cows in a couple weeks.

yep thats what i did,left the cows and brought the calves home

gcreekrch said:
Aaron said:
And to think of all the time I wasted fixing weaning fences and chasing escaped calves back into pens, over the years.

Can't think of when that was ever a problem here. :)

You've probably got those fancy post and rail facilities that aren't half on the ground. :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:

I think that sounds like an excellent plan. We tried the across the fence weaning with the heifers in early September, and are still wondering why we ever did it the other way. It worked great for us, and was harder on the cows than the calves. This fall these cows all weaned fast, and I don't think they were milking very much. Anyhow, let us know how it turns out!

Big Muddy rancher said:

Wow, you know more about the local stores than I do! They do carry a pretty good line of stuff though.

Latest posts