• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Quite A Close Out

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
http://5barx.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5091&start=380

If you go to the last part of this tgread there's a copy of a grid closeout-I'd of liked to own the cattle-they did pretty well for little grass smurfs.

That's not the closeout, just the grid settlement sheet from the packer. Yes, it is good data.

Would have been interesting to see the closeout to go with it. Feed conversion, ADG, etc.

Looks like someone was having another "my cow is smaller than your cow" competition over there on that thread. :dunce: I get tired of that conversation, oh so tired...

I was referencing the link to the thread from the 5BarX site that Northern had imbedded in this thread. Gomez, I hope your conscience is clean today!

That was me on Gomez's computer lol. I wasn't sure how to put the grid settlement part up by itself. Lots going on these days not at my sharpest which is never very sharp lol.

Thanks for posting that Northern Rancher. I am enjoying working my way through it. However, it is starting to frustrate me, because they are arguing two different ideologies.

The first is the smaller grass finished cow, which by all economic pruposes, would be the most cost effective for the cow calf producer. The smaller the cow the easier it is for her to produce a calf that is atleast 50% her weight at weaning. However, her calves will not have the finished weight the packers would like to see.

The second is trying to produce the same efficient cow, but with a larger frame and heavier weight to appease the feedlot buyer. However, when looking at the economics of the cow calf producer she wont be as efficient in producing pounds of beef at weaning as the smaller cow. Nevertheless, the feedlots will be able to feed more to grow the calf to the packers liking.

This brings up two things I have started to question about the economics of the feedlot industry:

First, why are the feedlots (not custom lots) not trying to obtain calves that finish faster although it may mean lighter, especially when they are not custom lots. To me if I could finish an animal in half the time and still have a good yield and grade, why would I not be begging for more. I unsterstand the feed is what you are really selling, but the faster an animal finishes the more you can turn over and more pounds produced in a year.

Secondly, why do feedlots (not custom lots) try to feed calves to 1500+ lbs? I know the packers are not discounting animals that are close to 1800 lbs, but at some point the efficiencies of the animal decrease and you are putting in more than you will receive in return.

I know I am young and maybe niave, but these are things I just don't know if I will ever understand.

I guess the best way to find out is to bite the bullet and feed some of your own cattle yourself to benchmark where you are. Trying to fit a cowherd to the whims and whimsy of a feedlot industry is tough. One thing hasn't changed much an F1 British cow bred to an exotic bull has produced steers that have made as much money as any for the last 40 years. We dropped the exotic component because we could turn a better dollar producing females. The problem with alot of people expounding on what to raise and feed have never paid their tuition to knowledge college with a feed bill. I just sorted through a set of terminal type Angus bulls today I'm sure would throw great feedlot steers unfortunately their heifer mates should probably head down the same route. No one breed or cross does everything the best.

High Plains said:
Looks like someone was having another "my cow is smaller than your cow" competition over there on that thread. :dunce: I get tired of that conversation, oh so tired...

No Kidding!!! :)

Latest posts