• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Quote from Japan

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
I think it was clever for the United States to do that (introduce a new testing scheme), and the move marks important progress in achieving an accurate grasp of the contamination situation," said Kiyotoshi Kaneko, a professor at Tokyo Medical University who serves as acting chief of the prion panel.

"I can give it high marks because it means the United States officially acknowledges its previous checking system was insufficient," he said. (Kyodo News)

AND,,,,"We're pretty confident that we have the herd, but we want to make sure," John Clifford, the department's chief veterinarian, said in an interview with The Associated Press. "Testing is being done now on tissue from cows that may have been herdmates."

The effort is complicated by mistakes made after the animal was killed. The cow's type of breed was accidentally mislabeled, and its tissues were mixed with tissues from other cows, Clifford said.

MISTAKES WHAT""""" MISTAKES how about a M hot brand??????

Or a "misplaced", but halleluah, suddenly "found" CCIA tag! Whew! That was close, eh! R-calf said there was no BSE in America! Mistakes, mistakes...
Have a good night all!

M is FOR MEXICO and we have been importing millions of cattle form long ago ,besides Mexico imported cheap MBM from England at the same time as Canada.They also recieved exported cattle and beef from Canada .

June 1, 2002 Rocky Mountain News (Denver, CO) by Lou Kilzer

Shortly after mad cow disease was first detected in the British countryside in 1986, officials stampeded to the microphones to assure the public that there was no risk to human health.
Ten years later, they admitted they had been wrong.

With the emergence of a similar disease in Colorado elk and deer, official response, based on available science, echoes the early years of mad cow: Chronic wasting disease poses little risk to humans.

As recently as April, Mike Miller, the veterinarian spearheading Colorado's effort to contain the disease, lamented that the public's concern about CWD as a human health threat was "misguided." He said there is no evidence that chronic wasting disease in deer and elk will infect humans. "It just seems that it is not at all likely" that humans could get the disease, he said.

But new federally sponsored research and two small clusters of a disease rarely seen in young people have other scientists concerned that Miller might be overly optimistic.

Response to mad cow in Great Britain and the United States was flawed. Consider:

After disease detectives in Great Britain determined that mad cow, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), was spread by feeding cattle infected meal, British officials banned the practice - in their own country. But they didn't ban the export of the feed around the globe, spreading BSE and causing economic devastation in continental Europe and Japan.

It took the United States 10 years to follow Britain's lead and ban the feeding of cattle-derived meat and bone meal (MBM) back to cattle. But the U.S. allows - indeed, actively promotes - the export of MBM to other countries. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) makes no requirement that warning labels against feeding it to cattle be placed on the product.

One country that exports over a million cattle a year to the United States - Mexico - is just now adopting the ban on MBM as cattle feed. And the enforcement of that ban is suspect.

The FDA has allowed hundreds of meat-processing facilities to fudge on its MBM rules, handing out a handful of warning letters and taking little action to force compliance.

The FDA asked pharmaceutical companies to stop using bovine serum in children's vaccines. For seven years it allowed the companies to ignore its request.

PORKER said:
M is FOR MEXICO and we have been importing millions of cattle form long ago ,besides Mexico imported cheap MBM from England at the same time as Canada.They also recieved exported cattle and beef from Canada .
It took the United States 10 years to follow Britain's lead and ban the feeding of cattle-derived meat and bone meal (MBM) back to cattle. But the U.S. allows - indeed, actively promotes - the export of MBM to other countries. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) makes no requirement that warning labels against feeding it to cattle be placed on the product.

One country that exports over a million cattle a year to the United States - Mexico - is just now adopting the ban on MBM as cattle feed. And the enforcement of that ban is suspect.

The FDA has allowed hundreds of meat-processing facilities to fudge on its MBM rules, handing out a handful of warning letters and taking little action to force compliance.
So what makes you think it is impossible for a native US animal to be able to contract BSE?

So what makes you think it is impossible for a native US animal to be able to contract BSE?
THINK BILL, I HAVE been pushing for a permit to use the GERMAN live animal BSE Blood TEST on my cattle because we have it here in the states.How do you think the Mink in Wisconson got the Mink BSE ?????? out of the thin air???

M is FOR MEXICO and we have been importing millions of cattle form long ago ,besides Mexico imported cheap MBM from England at the same time as Canada.They also recieved exported cattle and beef from Canada

Just so you know Porker, the US was also importing MBM at the same time! All of North America was.

I HAVE been pushing for a permit to use the GERMAN live animal BSE Blood TEST on my cattle because we have it here in the states.How do you think the Mink in Wisconson got the Mink BSE ?????? out of the thin air???

Yes ,all the reason to TEST( Murgen Just so you know Porker, the US was also importing MBM at the same time! All of North America was.)I knew that and all the more reason TO TEST !!!!!!I want proof of a BSE FREE Herd.

don said:
moose: Japan wasn't suprised

i think the only people who were surprised were americans!
That's what I can't figure out. After years of incidents which brought BSE testing (or lack of it) of suspicious animals to light, Fridays announcement comes as a surprise? Ex-USDA vets have said for some time that the US testing of suspicious animals was non-existant and the traceout of the Washington was ended abruptly as if to negate the possiblility of finding another case.

There is BSE in North America and it is no ones fault but why is it a big surprise that it is in the US?

Porker, what will proof of a BSE herd do for you?

Same PROOF when Hog Cholera was rapant TB, Sudo Rabies,Bangs etc.,,,,,, I want a BSE FREE Herd !!!!!!!!!

PORKER said:

Same PROOF when Hog Cholera was rapant TB, Sudo Rabies,Bangs etc.,,,,,, I want a BSE FREE Herd !!!!!!!!!
That's nice we all want a BSE free herd and the vast majority of us have that.

My question was what will "proof" from a live test that is not yet accepted do for you?

PORKER said:
ITS( LBBT) being USED today and my customers want to KNOW TOO!!!

Please expand on this live test you say is being used today.

WHY DON"T you HIT this LINK Bill http://ranchers.net/forum/search.php?mode=results&sid=fdb34ed864fc039d3933beca8134a770

PORKER said:
WHY DON"T you HIT this LINK Bill http://ranchers.net/forum/search.php?mode=results&sid=fdb34ed864fc039d3933beca8134a770
Link told me nothing.

Latest posts