• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Quotes and Facts on Iraq

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Dan Rather, anchorman for CBS News, appears on The David Letterman Show shortly after 9-11. The show had been off the air for a week.

Below are transcript excerpts.

RATHER: President Bush made what I think is his strongest statement yet when he went to the Pentagon this afternoon. He was Giuliani-esque -- I don't think he would mind me saying that, no. He looked the camera straight in the eye -- unblinking -- and said "Osama Dead or Alive."

[Audience applause]

RATHER: And with what we're dealing with here, which is not one man [Bin Laden], it's a hydra-headed operation that's in 55 countries around the world. Now granted, the focus is on, and we should understand, not just Afghanistan -- Afghanistan, Sudan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Libya.

RATHER: They hate America. They hate us. This is one thing that makes this war different. They don't want territory, they don't want what we got -- they want to kill us and destroy us. It's a heavy statement, but it's true -- they seek to accomplish our death. Death as a people, as a society, and a culture.

LETTERMAN: Why?

RATHER: Who can explain madmen, and who can explain evil.

RATHER: Saddam Hussein, if he isn't connect to this, he's connected to any other things. He's part of this 'Hate America' thing. You have to understand, Saddam Hussein is somebody I have sat this close, eye to eye.

LETTERMAN: The other day, Dick Cheney -- who to me seemed like the real deal -- Dick Cheney was talking about how counter-intelligence and espionage is dirty business, and maybe now we were going to have to get down in the mud with these people, and I thought well Holy God wasn't that the way it was supposed to be?

RATHER: This [war] will be long, the casualties will be greater. Let's face it, we've already had more casualties, I mean five thousand of our fellow Americans have been killed already. When we talk about casualties, we've suffered casualties, but there will be more. When we send out sons and daughters into this kind of war, into this Twilight Zone that they're going, there will be great casualties. Now, it remains to be seen whether we have the staying power, that's basically up to you, and me, and everybody in the audience, and every American, whether we have the staying power, whether we have the will to stay with it, is the big question. But you say 'Will it do anything?' I certainly think it can, but what would we think of ourselves if we didn't try.

RATHER: This will take years, this may very well take another four, eight, ten years. The world's view of us, in many places with many people, is we just don't have the stomach to stick anything out. Well, we were great during World War II, but this is a new generation, they're all spoiled.

but but but I thought it was Bush's private war. :lol: The Dems were against it all along right. :roll:

have a cold one

lazy ace

lazy ace said:
but but but I thought it was Bush's private war. :lol: The Dems were against it all along right. :roll:

have a cold one

lazy ace

If you read steve's post you would of noticed that Rather had to be talking about Afghanistan and the war on terror...It was dated a week after 9-11...The personal war you are talking about or better know as an invasion,started in march of 2003....

When bin ladin attacked America in 2001 every American,be them dems or repubs wanted his head on a stick...At that point in time,bush had more support by his people then ANY US president ever had befor him...Rather was talking about Afghanistan not Iraq,and he was right..That country should of been pumled to the ground until bin ladin was dead,not left alone to go case sadam....

Steve said:
Dan Rather, anchorman for CBS News, appears on The David Letterman Show shortly after 9-11. The show had been off the air for a week.

RATHER: President Bush made what I think is his strongest statement yet when he went to the Pentagon this afternoon. He was Giuliani-esque -- I don't think he would mind me saying that, no. He looked the camera straight in the eye -- unblinking -- and said "Osama Dead or Alive."

[Audience applause]

RATHER: And with what we're dealing with here, which is not one man [Bin Laden], it's a hydra-headed operation that's in 55 countries around the world. Now granted, the focus is on, and we should understand, not just Afghanistan -- Afghanistan, Sudan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Libya.

RATHER: They hate America. They hate us. This is one thing that makes this war different. They don't want territory, they don't want what we got -- they want to kill us and destroy us. It's a heavy statement, but it's true -- they seek to accomplish our death. Death as a people, as a society, and a culture.

RATHER: Saddam Hussein, if he isn't connect to this, he's connected to any other things. He's part of this 'Hate America' thing. You have to understand, Saddam Hussein is somebody I have sat this close, eye to eye.

LETTERMAN: The other day, Dick Cheney -- who to me seemed like the real deal -- Dick Cheney was talking about how counter-intelligence and espionage is dirty business, and maybe now we were going to have to get down in the mud with these people, and I thought well Holy God wasn't that the way it was supposed to be?

RATHER: This [war] will be long, the casualties will be greater. Let's face it, we've already had more casualties, I mean five thousand of our fellow Americans have been killed already. When we talk about casualties, we've suffered casualties, but there will be more. When we send out sons and daughters into this kind of war, into this Twilight Zone that they're going, there will be great casualties. Now, it remains to be seen whether we have the staying power, that's basically up to you, and me, and everybody in the audience, and every American, whether we have the staying power, whether we have the will to stay with it, is the big question. But you say 'Will it do anything?' I certainly think it can, but what would we think of ourselves if we didn't try.

RATHER: This will take years, this may very well take another four, eight, ten years. The world's view of us, in many places with many people, is we just don't have the stomach to stick anything out. Well, we were great during World War II, but this is a new generation, they're all spoiled.

Steve O This can not be about the Iraq invasion,the dates do not match up.......or were you just showing us the countries did not like America?

nonothing said:
lazy ace said:

have a cold one

lazy ace

If you read steve's post you would of noticed that Rather had to be talking about Afghanistan and the war on terror...It was dated a week after 9-11...The personal war you are talking about or better know as an invasion,started in march of 2003....

When bin ladin attacked America in 2001 every American,be them dems or repubs wanted his head on a stick...At that point in time,bush had more support by his people then ANY US president ever had befor him...Rather was talking about Afghanistan not Iraq,and he was right..That country should of been pumled to the ground until bin ladin was dead,not left alone to go case sadam....

Rather:

You KNOW NOTHING, nonothing. :lol: :shock: :roll: :lol: :roll: :shock:

Mike said:
nonothing said:
lazy ace said:

have a cold one

lazy ace

Rather:

You KNOW NOTHING, nonothing. :lol: :shock: :roll: :lol: :roll: :shock:

As I mentioned in the post just above your last one .....Was Steve just pointing out countries that disliked America......You are the one that knows nothing.....Read things first

Mike. what war would Rather be talking about in the quote following the one you posted ?

RATHER: They hate America. They hate us. This is one thing that makes this war different. They don't want territory, they don't want what we got -- they want to kill us and destroy us. It's a heavy statement, but it's true -- they seek to accomplish our death. Death as a people, as a society, and a culture

Just tell us oh smart one Mike ,what war is Rather talking about???

I think you are correct nonothing...Rather is discussing the War on Terror- not the Bush/Cheney/Halliburton Oil War....

BCFiraqoil.jpg

Oldtimer said:
I think you are correct nonothing...Rather is discussing the War on Terror- not the Bush/Cheney/Halliburton Oil War....

BCFiraqoil.jpg

The Bush/Cheney/Halliburton Oil War that the Democrats spoke up in favor of and then voted for?

Sandhusker said:
Oldtimer said:

BCFiraqoil.jpg

The Bush/Cheney/Halliburton Oil War that the Democrats spoke up in favor of and then voted for?

Based on Bush/Cheney backed "intelligence." What a tragic joke that was.

What the dems need to spank themselves for is believing this...well, except for Obama...

Alice

Sandhusker said:
Oldtimer said:

BCFiraqoil.jpg

That many D's and R's voted for- after being given false, censored, and alledgedly purposely altered intelligence info....Too bad we didn't take care of the problem in Afghanistan- rather than creating an unrepairable mess in both- that cost the country/US taxpayer $Trillions... :(

Oldtimer said:
Sandhusker said:
Oldtimer said:

BCFiraqoil.jpg

That many D's and R's voted for- after being given false, censored, and alledgedly purposely altered intelligence info....Too bad we didn't take care of the problem in Afghanistan- rather than creating an unrepairable mess in both- that cost the country/US taxpayer $Trillions... :(

True enough!

Alice

That's the weakest flipping excuse that I've ever heard! :lol: I hate to tell you guys, but lawmakers, especially those on the intelligence commitees, have access to information on their own, they don't have to take whatever the administration gives them.

We all know that Saddam had WMD's - he had already used them. We suspected, and have since confirmed, that Saddam was pushing his people to re-arm. We know that he was not complying with the terms of his surrender, despite repeated warnings and threats. All this is knowledge of the common man. So the whole world can see that we have a lunatic that has used WMDs, he is blatantly violating terms of his surrender, he's acting like he's hiding more WMDs, he's been told to comply or else and when the US does the only thing that we can do in that situation, you libs say that Bush was feeding bad information to the gullible Democrats? Puhleeeeeze.

It's always somebody elses' fault with Liberals.

Sandhusker said:
That's the weakest flipping excuse that I've ever heard! :lol: I hate to tell you guys, but lawmakers, especially those on the intelligence commitees, have access to information on their own, they don't have to take whatever the administration gives them.

We all know that Saddam had WMD's - he had already used them. We suspected, and have since confirmed, that Saddam was pushing his people to re-arm. We know that he was not complying with the terms of his surrender, despite repeated warnings and threats. All this is knowledge of the common man. So the whole world can see that we have a lunatic that has used WMDs, he is blatantly violating terms of his surrender, he's acting like he's hiding more WMDs, he's been told to comply or else and when the US does the only thing that we can do in that situation, you libs say that Bush was feeding bad information to the gullible Democrats? Puhleeeeeze.

It's always somebody elses' fault with Liberals.

Oh, no, no, no, no...talk about weak. That crap got thrown out a long time ago. NEXT?

Alice

You mean to say that you libs threw out the irrefutable facts because they didn't jive with your feeeeeelings as is your custom?

NO!, she means that Iraq threw out those WMD, with the trash, and the liberals thought they were gone for good.

Except the trash that took 2 or 3 years of secretive transport to reach Canada of course.

Sandhusker said:
You mean to say that you libs threw out the irrefutable facts because they didn't jive with your feeeeeelings as is your custom?

Bah!

Alice

hypocritexposer said:
NO!, she means that Iraq threw out those WMD, with the trash, and the liberals thought they were gone for good.

Except the trash that took 2 or 3 years of secretive transport to reach Canada of course.

Double Bah!

Alice

nonothing said:
Steve said:

[Audience applause]

Steve O This can not be about the Iraq invasion,the dates do not match up.......or were you just showing us the countries did not like America?

no just how some of the comments at that time differ from how many felt when the rhetoric was put into action..

before the wars.. everyone acknowledged that it would be messy, costly and involve many nations.. and we would have to get our hand dirty..

if you reread what they said and about who,.. it shows that the mood has changed.. and what some had called for then, the same folks now condemn.. it's easy to say shoot the bastard in the head.. but an all together different to pull the trigger, or deal with the results..

Gitmo is one example .. on Sept 11.. every one would have said round um up, lock um up, and throw away the key.. yet when it was done,.. many whined about it.. why? our sense of Justice.. or we lost the will to do what "we demanded our leaders to do"

yet on one thing they are right.. the left is spoiled, it has no staying power, it doesn't have the stomach for war.. and the terrorists are banking our life on that..

Latest posts