• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF goes Back to Court

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Won't that allow an avenue for any prion infected product or cattle they send to get mixed into the US cattle feed?

:???: A question here ...

How would any infected product from anywhere get into US cattle feed? Are you allowing beef byproducts to be fed to American cattle?

Kato said:
Won't that allow an avenue for any prion infected product or cattle they send to get mixed into the US cattle feed?

:???: A question here ...

How would any infected product from anywhere get into US cattle feed? Are you allowing beef byproducts to be fed to American cattle?

Kato, they are putting MBM in poultry feed. Cattle eat poultry feed that is spilled onto the chicken litter that is on many poultry farms. Cows like to eat chicken litter. They also eat it when it is spread on the fields before it breaks down. Cattle also eat spilled feed on the farm. There are probably other ways.

Oldtimer said:
MRJ said:
Oldtimer said:
I know its Fact- I've seen it done...Period.....

These are individuals -- some of which are in the hierarchy of NCBA...

So...OT,.....which of your premises are you talking about? Is it verifiable NCBA policy, or is it a whim or stand of an individual?

OT, first, how can NCBA be blamed for the actions of individual members, not acting for the organization in any official capacity, who simply choose to secure memberships in their own way........if that even is true. I really cannot believe it, unless you want to name some names. Would you put into that category someone who gifts a family member or friend with a membership in NCBA? What about the "gift" memberships in R-CALF? Wouldn't those be "ghost" members?

Second, there is no "hierarchy" of NCBA.

Hierarchy; 1. any group of persons or things arranged in successive orders or classes, each of which is subject to or dependent on the one above it. Some of the other definitions may make me change my mind.
5. Theol. a. Any of the three ranks of angels, each of which is divided into three orders. b. The body of angels collectively. However NCBA leaders are characteristicly such modest and humble people they would be embarrassed to be called "angels".

MRJ

MRJ said:
Oldtimer said:
MRJ said:
These are individuals -- some of which are in the hierarchy of NCBA...

So...OT,.....which of your premises are you talking about? Is it verifiable NCBA policy, or is it a whim or stand of an individual?

OT, first, how can NCBA be blamed for the actions of individual members, not acting for the organization in any official capacity, who simply choose to secure memberships in their own way........if that even is true. I really cannot believe it, unless you want to name some names. Would you put into that category someone who gifts a family member or friend with a membership in NCBA? What about the "gift" memberships in R-CALF? Wouldn't those be "ghost" members?

Hierarchy; 1. any group of persons or things arranged in successive orders or classes, each of which is subject to or dependent on the one above it. Some of the other definitions may make me change my mind.
5. Theol. a. Any of the three ranks of angels, each of which is divided into three orders. b. The body of angels collectively. However NCBA leaders are characteristicly such modest and humble people they would be embarrassed to be called "angels".

MRJ

MRJ- You the hypocrite :!: --blame any R-CALF member that ever said anything or any livestock owner that ever said anything pro R-CALF on the radio as an R-CALF official statement- but when the officers, past officers, committee chairpersons of NCBA do or saysomething- its not connected to NCBA :wink: :lol: ....

Oldtimer said:
MRJ said:
Oldtimer said:

MRJ

MRJ- You the hypocrite :!: --blame any R-CALF member that ever said anything or any livestock owner that ever said anything pro R-CALF on the radio as an R-CALF official statement- but when the officers, past officers, committee chairpersons of NCBA do or saysomething- its not connected to NCBA :wink: :lol: ....

You are the liar, here, OT. I have NEVER said those guys were saying the "official" R-CALF statement....and if it were simply "pro R-CALF" stuff, I would have no problem......however, I do believe R-CALF makes use of those guys to say things they don't have to take the blame for themselves. The auction market owners who do the talking on radio and in their newspaper ads raise an awful lot of money for R-CALF and I've never seen or heard any "official" of R-CALF call them on the worst of the lies they have stated in those ads. I've noticed lately that Johnny Smith has changed from saying that "NCBA is living off checkoff money" (which is impossible, due to the law) to just saying "give your money to R-CALF, they are the ones working for you and don't have the checkoff" or similar words.

If, as you indicate, you are talking of simply buying memberships for people,or doing business only with members........are you telling me that there is no one in R-CALF or it's affiliates doing that? Are you telling me there is anything wrong with doing that? Maybe both groups should publish their membership list and whether or not those members are of legal age, or own cattle in their own name or business name.

MRJ

MRJ said:
Oldtimer said:
MRJ said:

You are the liar, here, OT. I have NEVER said those guys were saying the "official" R-CALF statement....and if it were simply "pro R-CALF" stuff, I would have no problem......however, I do believe R-CALF makes use of those guys to say things they don't have to take the blame for themselves. The auction market owners who do the talking on radio and in their newspaper ads raise an awful lot of money for R-CALF and I've never seen or heard any "official" of R-CALF call them on the worst of the lies they have stated in those ads. I've noticed lately that Johnny Smith has changed from saying that "NCBA is living off checkoff money" (which is impossible, due to the law) to just saying "give your money to R-CALF, they are the ones working for you and don't have the checkoff" or similar words.

If, as you indicate, you are talking of simply buying memberships for people,or doing business only with members........are you telling me that there is no one in R-CALF or it's affiliates doing that? Are you telling me there is anything wrong with doing that? Maybe both groups should publish their membership list and whether or not those members are of legal age, or own cattle in their own name or business name.

MRJ

MRJ- I don't know much more R-CALF can do-- they publish press releases almost daily with those that donate ( I guess I'll have to start posting them again so you can see them) and any meetings- listings of the new membership numbers for each state-and all direction changes in carrying out policy on their website which is open to the world...

What does NCBA do? Have a private secret "members only" section on their website....What do they have to hide? Their continual "flip flops" and failure to follow what the membership voted on :???: ...

What did their last President say--"We weren't listening to our membership".. :wink:

They still aren't.....

OT,

What happened when BSE hit the U.S.? R-CULT quickly blamed Canada and blamed USDA while NCBA took the truth to the media and prevented a potential beef industry disaster. That is a classic difference between NCBA and the blaming R-CULT.

Sandbag: "That is why they abandon a zero tolerance policy for the packer's checkbook? That is why they petition the OIE to LOWER standards? That is why we take product nobody else in the world will take? Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeze"

None of you R-CULTers have original thoughts do you?

I thougth Leo McDonnell said we have the safest beef in the world due to our firewalls??? Now you are disagreeing with Leo stating that these firewalls are not good enough??? Do you disagree with Leo?

Any trade actions regarding BSE must consider the precautionary measures that have been taken. Any trade actions regarding BSE must also consider that any action that is requested of importing countries will be requested of the U.S.

Your concern for BSE goes as far as your ignorance of the impacts of Canadian imports on U.S. cattle prices.

USDA is following the best available science which considers what precatuionary measures have been taken including the ruminent feed ban, SRM removal, increased surveilance testing, banning the slaughter or downer cows, and restricting imported live cattle from countries suspected of BSE.

Ankle biting sideline critics like you hardly know more than USDA's best scientists.

Where's the BSE Sandbag? When's it going to show up if it's such a problem?

Nobody's fooled by your isolationist politics anymore. You only fool yourself. Everyone can see R-CULT's STOP CANADIAN IMPORTS agenda.

~SH~

SH, "USDA is following the best available science which considers what precatuionary measures have been taken including the ruminent feed ban, SRM removal, increased surveilance testing, banning the slaughter or downer cows, and restricting imported live cattle from countries suspected of BSE. "

BULLSHIT If that was the case, we would be taking beef from the EU before Canada. The EU has MUCH stricter standards and practices.

~SH~ said:
OT,

USDA is following the best available science which considers what precatuionary measures have been taken including the ruminent feed ban, SRM removal, increased surveilance testing, banning the slaughter or downer cows, and restricting imported live cattle from countries suspected of BSE.

~SH~

SH- Do you read the news?--The US is importing live cattle from a country (Canada) with BSE- and beef of all ages from a country with many cases (Japan) that finds new cases monthly, and has proposed opening the border to cattle and beef of all ages from Canada...Both Canada and Japan have found BSE positive cattle that were born after the feed ban....

This is what necessitates the further strengthening of what til now have been adequate safeguards...

Knowing how heavily influenced Federal government agencies can be by the Corporate interests leaves me with little faith in either the USDA or FDA- especially since these safeguards were recommended by FDA, OIE, and USDA scientists previously, and now are by many private scientists along with a major corporate consumer...That and the fact that both the countries we are importing from (Japan and Canada) have already established these same safeguards leads me to believe we need them if we are taking their beef and cattle...

An old Public Safety rule is that if their is a doubt or any question- always err on the side of public safety....

Oldtimer said:
~SH~ said:
OT,

~SH~

SH- Do you read the news?--The US is importing live cattle from a country (Canada) with BSE- and beef of all ages from a country with many cases (Japan) that finds new cases monthly, and has proposed opening the border to cattle and beef of all ages from Canada...Both Canada and Japan have found BSE positive cattle that were born after the feed ban....
This is what necessitates the further strengthening of what til now have been adequate safeguards...

Knowing how heavily influenced Federal government agencies can be by the Corporate interests leaves me with little faith in either the USDA or FDA- especially since these safeguards were recommended by FDA, OIE, and USDA scientists previously, and now are by many private scientists along with a major corporate consumer...That and the fact that both the countries we are importing from (Japan and Canada) have already established these same safeguards leads me to believe we need them if we are taking their beef and cattle...

An old Public Safety rule is that if their is a doubt or any question- always err on the side of public safety....

Oldtimer get off your high horse and stop the R-CALF crap. Canada found ONE COW born 6 months after the feed bans. It was investigated and found that she ate Pre feed ban feed that was not recalled from the system when the bans were put in place. The US didn't recall any feed either. Canada has done more than what was asked of them and in a faster time frame than the US could possibably manage to do it. The fact Canada found her should and does show most of the world that CANADA IS DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN TO MAKE OUR BEEF SAFE INCLUDING THE REQUIRED TESTING unlike the USA. SSS- Oldtimer that is what R-CALFers does best. Shoot off their mouths, shovel crap about the Canadian Beef and Skirt the truth about R-CALF lies.

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
~SH~ said:
OT,

~SH~

Oldtimer get off your high horse and stop the R-CALF crap. Canada found ONE COW born 6 months after the feed bans. It was investigated and found that she ate Pre feed ban feed that was not recalled from the system when the bans were put in place. The US didn't recall any feed either. Canada has done more than what was asked of them and in a faster time frame than the US could possibably manage to do it. The fact Canada found her should and does show most of the world that CANADA IS DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN TO MAKE OUR BEEF SAFE INCLUDING THE REQUIRED TESTING unlike the USA. SSS- Oldtimer that is what R-CALFers does best. Shoot off their mouths, shovel crap about the Canadian Beef and Skirt the truth about R-CALF lies.

Tam- You can call it a high horse or whatever you want- but the facts still exist...Canada has a higher ratio of BSE including a post feed ban born cow that came from a "cluster area"...How much more feed went to how many more cows in that area? How many other infected cows of all ages exist in that cluster area? And Japan has definitely had several post feed ban cattle with positive cases showing up as recent as last month.....

Canada and Japan thought the safeguards that are being asked for were necessary to protect their herds and their consumers- but now you expect the US cattleman and consumer to allow the same beef and the same cattle, without these safeguards, and smile about it :???: ...

These will be the same cattle and same beef that led the OIE and CFIA scientists to recommend these same safeguards, which Canada put in place...How will crossing the border change this :???:

All it takes is bringing in one infected cow that makes it into the food chain thru poultry litter, table scraps, or blood in the milk replacer and it could infect 100's.....

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
Oldtimer said:

Tam- You can call it a high horse or whatever you want- but the facts still exist...Canada has a higher ratio of BSE including a post feed ban born cow that came from a "cluster area"...How much more feed went to how many more cows in that area? How many other infected cows of all ages exist in that cluster area? And Japan has definitely had several post feed ban cattle with positive cases showing up as recent as last month.....

Canada and Japan thought the safeguards that are being asked for were necessary to protect their herds and their consumers- but now you expect the US cattleman and consumer to allow the same beef and the same cattle, without these safeguards, and smile about it :???: ...

These will be the same cattle and same beef that led the OIE and CFIA scientists to recommend these same safeguards, which Canada put in place...How will crossing the border change this :???:

All it takes is bringing in one infected cow that makes it into the food chain thru poultry litter, table scraps, or blood in the milk replacer and it could infect 100's.....

Cow now, before it was post feed ban cattle were found.

I find your comments funny since I happen to know this was part of R-CALF's comment to the USDA on the final rule.

Under no circumstances should the United States accept any cattle, beef or beef products, from countries that do not maintain identical or more stringent safeguard measures that is presently required or presently proposed in the United States which measures have been enforced for at least as long as the United States.

First we didn't have as high of standards as the US with your WORLD's HIGHEST STANDARDS, so the USDA was not to import beef and cattle from us. Now your WORLD HIGHEST STANDARDS aren't as high as you spouted they were so you can't afford to import from us until you get in place some of the same safeguards Canada has had in place for years. Playing the STANDARDS card when you don't have as high of standards kind of came back to bite you didn't it. Add to that the statement from Leo about
"we know if we are going to keep consumer confidence we are going to maintain some of the highest standards in the world to make sure that BSE is not introduced into this country. And we are going to make sure we have the best meat and bone meal ban in this country in place. So if for some reason we did find a case we can stand and look our consumers right in the eye and say, don't worry we have had these firewalls in place for years, the only country prior to having a case of BSE to have these firewalls in place for so many years. And we did it to make sure if a case was ever found it was a non-issue. If we look them right in the eye and say that I will guarantee they will keep eating beef".

Gee why is it Oldtimer that these firewalls the US has had in place for so many years to protect the US consumer from the risk of BSE, if it was ever found in the US native herd, can't protect them from cattle being imported? How is it that these firewalls only protect the consumers from native cases and not imported? According to Leo BSE shouldn't be an issue because of these firewalls and now you are saying this firewalls failed you, should the US consumers still be eating US beef? Or should they be looking for beef that comes from a country that has more stringent safeguards in place for so many years. Say Canada.

Tam
"Gee why is it Oldtimer that these firewalls the US has had in place for so many years to protect the US consumer from the risk of BSE, if it was ever found in the US native herd, can't protect them from cattle being imported? How is it that these firewalls only protect the consumers from native cases and not imported? According to Leo BSE shouldn't be an issue because of these firewalls and now you are saying this firewalls failed you, should the US consumers still be eating US beef? Or should they be looking for beef that comes from a country that has more stringent safeguards in place for so many years. Say Canada."
--------------------------------------------

Simple Tam--Before we weren't taking OTM cattle from countries with higher rates of BSE and post feedban cases of BSE (Japan and Canada)....There were 349 birthmates of that Canadian post feedban cow that may have been fed that contaminated feed...The playing field has changed..

Personally I've thought that blood, table scraps, SRM material, and poultry litter should have been banned from day one--Some even were for a while until the bureaucrats bowed under pressure...But I believe in erring on the side of safety.

I also can't find why any cattle person or cattle organization would not support and fight for banning feeding cows chickenshit :!: If nothing else just for the general principle....

You scream bloody murder and whine for the US to take your cattle because Canada has been lax to develop their slaughter and export industry-- Just send it to the States where it can be passed off as a US product-- and now when we ask for the same protections from these same cattle that the OIE and CFIA felt needed those protections we're condemned as EVIL...

Tam---Do you think OIE and CFIA were wrong in putting in those safeguards in Canada? Are the CFIA scientists just a bunch of dolts?

Oldtimer said:
1) You scream bloody murder and whine for the US to take your cattle because Canada has been lax to develop their slaughter and export industry--

2)and now when we ask for the same protections from these same cattle that the OIE and CFIA felt needed those protections we're condemned as EVIL...

1) No we developed an export market, the USA. The USA signed the trade agreements. And now that we've proven to everyone, except a few deluded protectionist individuals, that our beef is safe, we expect the trade agreements to be honored.

2) OT, you got your protections that you wanted. The CFIA closed our loopholes, and our cattle is now safer than your own. So you're asking for protection from safer beef? Egads.

OT and Sandbag,

Either the precautionary measures the U.S. and Canada has in place assure the safety of our beef or it doesn't. You hypocritical isolationists cannot apply one set of standards to Canada and another set of standards to the U.S.

It's nothing more than political bullsh*t to stop Canadian imports. You fool nobody. And for what? Canadian beef is not going to be removed from the world market.

This dog won't hunt now and it didn't hunt at the injunction or the appeal.

It's just a complete waste of time and energy. Typical R-CULT!

~SH~

~SH~ said:
OT and Sandbag,

Either the precautionary measures the U.S. and Canada has in place assure the safety of our beef or it doesn't. You hypocritical isolationists cannot apply one set of standards to Canada and another set of standards to the U.S.

It's nothing more than political bullsh*t to stop Canadian imports. You fool nobody. And for what? Canadian beef is not going to be removed from the world market.

~SH~

The USDA is the one trying to impose two separate standards. Canada does not import from countries with BSE. The US does!!!

~SH~ said:
OT and Sandbag,

~SH~

SH, "Either the precautionary measures the U.S. and Canada has in place assure the safety of our beef or it doesn't."

According to McDonald's, it doesn't. But, hey, why should their opinion be given any credence. It's not like they buy much beef or anything.

SH, "You hypocritical isolationists cannot apply one set of standards to Canada and another set of standards to the U.S.

Why can't there be two sets of standards? If you look at trade rules with Mexico, Canada, Japan, and Egypt, you see the USDA has 4 different sets of standards. All of them supposedly based on "sound science" :roll:

A question for you, SH; What is your definition of an isolationist? R-CALF certainly doesn't fit Webster's.

OCM: "The USDA is the one trying to impose two separate standards. Canada does not import from countries with BSE. The US does!!!"

What does the USDA have to do with Canada's import standards?

Three further questions for you to divert:

1. What country did Canada import from that they do not import from now due to BSE?

2. What are the differences in the BSE precautionary measures Canada has taken and any country Canada does not import from, due to BSE, that they previously imported from?

3. What are the differences in the number of positive BSE cases between Canada and any country Canada does not import from, due to BSE, that they previously imported from and what were the ages of those cattle?

Let's see if we are comparing apples to apples or still trying to justify R-CULT's isolationism.

~SH~

ocm said:
~SH~ said:
OT and Sandbag,

~SH~

The USDA is the one trying to impose two separate standards. Canada does not import from countries with BSE. The US does!!!

Bull, Canada imports beef from the US and we never stop taking your beef and cattle for slaughter. If you really want to know the truth the US was told by the OIE to take the leadership roll in establishing import/export rules but the US was already followers in that as Canada set import rules that never did punish you when you found BSE in your Herd. Did we take the CFIA to court to stop your imports No because we looked at the facts about BSE and the safeguards we have in place and found we were at no bigger risk. Unlike you, you looked at your safeguards and decided you were at risk no just from our cattle but NOW FROM YOUR OWN CATTLE AS YOU HAVE BSE TOO.

From Oldtimer
Simple Tam--Before we weren't taking OTM cattle from countries with higher rates of BSE and post feedban cases of BSE (Japan and Canada)....There were 349 birthmates of that Canadian post feedban cow that may have been fed that contaminated feed...The playing field has changed..

Can you tell us how many herdmate there was to the Texas cow and if any of them ate the same feed as she did? Can you tell us if the USDA ever found all of the herdmates? Can you tell us whether or not any of them were made in to chicken feed and fed back to cattle as in chicken litter? As I see it the US can't really claim post feed ban BSE cases because of the loopholes you have in your feed ban. All cases found born after 1997 can be explained away by the fact it legally ate chicken litter even ones that you could find 8 years from now. So I think if R-CALF really wants to follow the rules the USDA should close all loopholes and then from that date your export markets should be closed for an additional 8 years.

Tam
"Can you tell us how many herdmate there was to the Texas cow and if any of them ate the same feed as she did? Can you tell us if the USDA ever found all of the herdmates? Can you tell us whether or not any of them were made in to chicken feed and fed back to cattle as in chicken litter? As I see it the US can't really claim post feed ban BSE cases because of the loopholes you have in your feed ban. All cases found born after 1997 can be explained away by the fact it legally ate chicken litter even ones that you could find 8 years from now. So I think if R-CALF really wants to follow the rules the USDA should close all loopholes and then from that date your export markets should be closed for an additional 8 years."
------------------------------------------------------------

So you do agree that R-CALF is right in trying to get the USDA to put in the additional safeguards and enforce the law.....

Latest posts