• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF on new rule

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker said:
Silver said:
Sandhusker said:
"Maliciously misinforming" my fat arse. From the CFIA (the "C" is for "Canada") website;

No validated live animal test for BSE currently exists. Accordingly, testing for BSE can only be done on the brains of dead animals. Brain samples are screened using rapid tests that accurately and quickly detect a true BSE positive sample nearly 100% of the time. Rapid tests can, in rare cases, react when a sample is not infected with BSE. These are known as "inconclusive" results.

All samples that yield inconclusive results using a rapid test are sent to the National Centre for Foreign Animal Disease in Winnipeg - Canada's national BSE reference laboratory - for confirmatory testing. There they are tested using either the immunohistochemistry (IHC), or in the case of poor quality samples and IHC negative suspect tests, the SAF immunoblot, both internationally recognized confirmatory test for BSE.

Looks to me that you're the one who is misinformed or maliciously misinforming. There's no flippin difference. The comparisons are fair.

Now carefully read what you wrote (copied). Then read it again. If you are careful and think about it you will see the CFIA uses 2 tests, including the western blot (SAF).
If you do your research you will find the USDA didn't do this until mid 2005. :roll:

Maybe you should read it again. Rapid test first, then the IHC on inconclusives - NOT the blot as you claimed.

Your post, "I believe the test used in Canada following an inconclusive was the Western Blot Test, the USDA used the unfortunately named 'Gold Standard'."

How thick is you r-calf corrupted head Sandhusker? READ IT AGAIN! If the IHC on inconclusives still comes up as inconclusive (negative suspect), the BLOT IS USED.
[/b] THE USDA DID NOT DO THIS UNTIL 2005!!!!

You were claiming the blot was used to test inconclusives, not the IHC.

From the CFIA website Aug. 2005, "The immunohistochemistry (IHC) and the OIE Western Blot, also called the SAF Immunoblot, are internationally recognized confirmatory tests for BSE. The IHC is the principle confirmatory test used at NCFAD."

Sandhusker said:

From the CFIA website Aug. 2005, "The immunohistochemistry (IHC) and the OIE Western Blot, also called the SAF Immunoblot, are internationally recognized confirmatory tests for BSE. The IHC is the principle confirmatory test used at NCFAD."

Your really struggling to win any point in this debate arent you? Your ship is sunk. Give up. My point is made: Canada 2 tests, US 1 test until June 2005.
Give your head a shake Sandhusker. When the border opens you will eat Canadian beef whether you know it or not (that does not mean I don't endorse some form of COOL) and you realize that. You also aren't going to lose a minutes sleep over whether or not that beef is going to kill you.
So get over yourself and admit it: it's not a food safety issue to you, it's about the money.

Silver said:
Sandhusker said:

Your really struggling to win any point in this debate arent you? Your ship is sunk. Give up. My point is made: Canada 2 tests, US 1 test until June 2005.
Give your head a shake Sandhusker. When the border opens you will eat Canadian beef whether you know it or not (that does not mean I don't endorse some form of COOL) and you realize that. You also aren't going to lose a minutes sleep over whether or not that beef is going to kill you.
So get over yourself and admit it: it's not a food safety issue to you, it's about the money.

You must not of noticed that I highlighted 2005 when the IHC (that test you made fun of) was the "principle confirmatory test". Face it, you were dead wrong claiming your testing was much different than ours.

I'm more concerned about the health of the herd. Opening the border to ANY BSE country with our loopholes is just asking for problems.

Who are you to point the finger at anybody and holler "money"? You've admitted you don't know the extent of the problem up there, you can't explain how your BSE won't be spread via the new rule, yet you ridicule anybody who doesn't want the border opened for those reasons - a border you want opened for money.

...it's not a food safety issue...

It is a food safety issue because it is about ignoring previous disease preventing protocol because of money(trade). If the Topps contamination was from imported trim(of course we will never know), would that not make importation protocol a food safety issue? Wasn't early BSE protocol to wait seven years after the last BSE case before trade would be normalized???

Sandhusker said:
If you think there is a conspiracy and a coverup, you need to be stumping your government to close the border yourselves. Are you doing that?

Dr. Detwiler: I'll play devil's advocate. If the US found a case tomorrow,
what would we ask of the world? I think that's valid to ask. It's valid to
turn the mirror back on yourself.

Dr. Thornsberry: I guarantee you that we would immediately have individual
animal ID and it wouldn't be two years later.

FULL TEXT;

Completely Edited Version
PRION ROUNDTABLE

Accomplished this day, Wednesday, December 11, 2003, Denver, Colorado

The roundtable presentations and discussions
were recorded. A transcript will be made available
to the Academy of Veterinary Consultants, the
American Association of Bovine Practitioners, and
the Colleges of Veterinary Medicine throughout the
United States and Canada. A condensed version
translated for the livestock industry will be made
available to educate livestock producers about
prion related diseases.

http://www.r-calfusa.com/Newsletter/2004January.pdf

National Veterinary Services Laboratory (NVSL) Immunohistochemistry (IHC)
Testing Summary

The BSE enhanced surveillance program involves the use of a rapid screening
test, followed by confirmatory testing for any samples that come back
"inconclusive." The weekly summary below captures all rapid tests conducted
as part of the enhanced surveillance effort. It should be noted that since
the enhanced surveillance program began, USDA has also conducted
approximately 9,200 routine IHC tests on samples that did not first undergo
rapid testing.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/issues/bse_testing/test_results.html

Latest posts